Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2014, 06:32 AM

5 posts, read 13,294 times

Advertisements

Ok so I was in a battle with my landlord who wanted to evict me because of some crazy reasons. The Court gave me time. I found a place and moved some of my things in. As I was moving other stuff I slipped on the stairs. I still have things in the place and was told they are changing the love KS and I can't get my stuff. Is there any way or can they just toss my things? It's mostly big stuff the I need a truck for but I have to get out the hospital and they don't care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2014, 10:15 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,923,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownBunny85 View Post
Ok so I was in a battle with my landlord who wanted to evict me because of some crazy reasons. The Court gave me time. I found a place and moved some of my things in. As I was moving other stuff I slipped on the stairs. I still have things in the place and was told they are changing the love KS and I can't get my stuff. Is there any way or can they just toss my things? It's mostly big stuff the I need a truck for but I have to get out the hospital and they don't care.
Yes, they can, or sell them.

The court would have given you a date. Anything left past the court date is the property of the landlord.

Old 11-23-2014, 01:22 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,832,211 times
Not only that, they can and likely will charge a pretty hefty removal / disposal fee.

Old 11-23-2014, 02:14 PM

993 posts, read 1,384,504 times
If you're now in a hospital, ask a nurse if you can talk by phone today (since it's Sunday) to the Social Work department on an emergency basis. Or have them come in first thing tomorrow morning.

Maybe that department can help you figure out how to hire a truck on your dime to go get the stuff tomorrow.
All hospital discharge planning paperwork (for when you leave) goes through a social worker, who consults with your doctors and medical team from your hospital stay. They can only discharge you to someplace they deem medically "safe" so your recovery can continue. If you can convince Social Work that the loss of furniture might delay your exit from the hospital ($), or impact your rehabilitation negatively once home (like, no bed or furniture to rest up), then maybe they'll help you rescue your stuff as part of "discharge planning."

It's a real stretch. Honestly, you'd be better off to get on the phone yourself to friends this evening, and have them arrange a truck for tomorrow morning.

I suppose you could also call the landlord and ask him, since I figure you're planning to sue him for when you fell on his steps, why he wants to make your damage claim sound even worse to a judge by moving your stuff out while you're in the hospital from that fall. He'll probably tell you you had ample time to get the stuff moved out before you fell. At that point, all you can do is ask him to be a human being and give you more time from the hospital bed.

You'll probably need a friend to round up some money as most movers won't work until they have money in hand before the move, and for good reason.

Last edited by BrightRabbit; 11-23-2014 at 02:33 PM..

Old 11-23-2014, 02:30 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,923,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
Not only that, they can and likely will charge a pretty hefty removal / disposal fee.
Right, forgot about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City