U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2014, 11:52 PM

3,245 posts, read 4,162,776 times

Advertisements

Harvard Extension School - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Who knew?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2017, 12:09 AM

5,588 posts, read 6,372,335 times
Yes. I'm resurrecting an old thread. :-)

I've been doing research about online programs and extension schools. I find the comments interesting. For one, extension schools and online programs are tailored to working professionals who have careers, families, mortgages, or other circumstances that prevent them from attending a full-time daytime degree program. Everyone from regular employees to VPs of corporations would not be able to gain a regular degree from prestigious institutions even if they had the money. There's just no time to go full-time. THat's where extension and online schools come in. It is more a question of time and cost than "qualifying" for the regular school.

Let the teens have undergrad and the 20-somethings have grad school. Those traditional programs are tailored for them. As for those of us who have 15 years work experience, families, and mortgages, let us have the extension and online schools. We need them as a way to conveniently continue our education. We're not taking shortcuts just to get a quick degree. For some, these program certificates/degrees are in addition to bachelors and masters degrees we already possess.

It was a bit disappointing that even online media articles didn't touch on this very important aspect of why the extension and online schools exist in the first place.

Old 05-30-2017, 02:01 AM

1,311 posts, read 1,112,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Yes. I'm resurrecting an old thread. :-)

I've been doing research about online programs and extension schools. I find the comments interesting. For one, extension schools and online programs are tailored to working professionals who have careers, families, mortgages, or other circumstances that prevent them from attending a full-time daytime degree program. Everyone from regular employees to VPs of corporations would not be able to gain a regular degree from prestigious institutions even if they had the money. There's just no time to go full-time. THat's where extension and online schools come in. It is more a question of time and cost than "qualifying" for the regular school.

Let the teens have undergrad and the 20-somethings have grad school. Those traditional programs are tailored for them. As for those of us who have 15 years work experience, families, and mortgages, let us have the extension and online schools. We need them as a way to conveniently continue our education. We're not taking shortcuts just to get a quick degree. For some, these program certificates/degrees are in addition to bachelors and masters degrees we already possess.

It was a bit disappointing that even online media articles didn't touch on this very important aspect of why the extension and online schools exist in the first place.

A lot better than Adelphi.

Seriously, NYC loves Harvard. But Harvard Extension School is NOT Harvard. And everyone knows that.

Ashley Judd has a degree from Harvard Extension. Nice person. Good actress. But money talks.

Old 05-30-2017, 04:45 AM

23,252 posts, read 16,063,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulJourn View Post

Seriously, NYC loves Harvard. But Harvard Extension School is NOT Harvard. And everyone knows that.

Ashley Judd has a degree from Harvard Extension. Nice person. Good actress. But money talks.
"Harvard University Extension School, in Cambridge, Massachusetts, is one of the twelve schools[4] that comprise Harvard University. It offers liberal arts and professional courses, graduate and undergraduate degrees in 60 fields, as well as a premedical program. Approximately 150 bachelor's and 550 master's degrees are awarded each year.[5] Founded in 1910, the school's mission is to provide education "for every type of adult learner." The school also has a long history of offering professional and distance education, and provides a variety of amenities and opportunities to students and degree earning alumni. Since its establishment in 1910, it is estimated that 500,000 students have taken a course at the Extension School. Some students are not degree seekers but take courses offered for professional development or personal enrichment."

It's one of the 12 schools that make up Harvard University. And it's geared towards adult learners. Columbia University has something similar. Older students (as in those not going to college straight out of high school) go to Columbia's School of General Studies. About 1/5th of those people are in the military.

About Us | Harvard Extension School

Old 05-30-2017, 07:40 AM

5,588 posts, read 6,372,335 times
Quote:

My point is who cares? If you're knocking down 6 figures and you have a 10-12 hour a day job, a family, and responsibilities, do you seriously think that person would give up 2 years of that salary just to take professional continuing ed courses so they can say they graduated from Harvard College?

The only people who care are those who feel they wasted 100k on Harvard College for an 80k job or those who couldn't get into the real Harvard and are trolling those who go to the Extension School.

Today it is more about SMART money than prestige. I'd rather have a 100k+ job and spend 25k to further my career than to spend 100k and make 80k. "I only make half of what you make but at least my degree doesn't have the word 'Extension' in it."

Kids are graduating state schools paying half of what they would spend at Harvard making the same starting salaries. I made 40k back in 1994 with just 2 years of undergrad work (Virginia Tech).

People go to Ivy League schools for the connections and networking (rubbing shoulders) and to some extent, the quality and rigor of the coursework. And if you feel 100k is worth that, then that's good for you.

How long do you think prestige will matter when kids are going to vocational tech schools, community colleges, and state schools making the same starting salaries as those who graduate from Harvard?

Prestige doesn't mean a thing unless you can get maximum return on investment.

Just because something is prestigious doesn't always mean it has the best value. Case in point, I'm walking away from BMW as a customer because the value of owning one is no longer valuable to me. They nickel and dime you for tech that you find in Mazda's and Toyota's and their longevity and reliability is middle of the pack. Why would I continue to pay a premium for a car just for prestige if the value I get from it is not acceptable in the long run? I'd rather pay half the price of a new BMW for a used Lexus and get better value for my money. In this case, Harvard Extension School is the used Lexus.

Old 05-30-2017, 08:57 AM

23,252 posts, read 16,063,944 times
Quote:
My point is who cares? If you're knocking down 6 figures and you have a 10-12 hour a day job, a family, and responsibilities, do you seriously think that person would give up 2 years of that salary just to take professional continuing ed courses so they can say they graduated from Harvard College?

The only people who care are those who feel they wasted 100k on Harvard College for an 80k job or those who couldn't get into the real Harvard and are trolling those who go to the Extension School.

Today it is more about SMART money than prestige. I'd rather have a 100k+ job and spend 25k to further my career than to spend 100k and make 80k. "I only make half of what you make but at least my degree doesn't have the word 'Extension' in it."

Kids are graduating state schools paying half of what they would spend at Harvard making the same starting salaries. I made 40k back in 1994 with just 2 years of undergrad work (Virginia Tech).

People go to Ivy League schools for the connections and networking (rubbing shoulders) and to some extent, the quality and rigor of the coursework. And if you feel 100k is worth that, then that's good for you.

How long do you think prestige will matter when kids are going to vocational tech schools, community colleges, and state schools making the same starting salaries as those who graduate from Harvard?

Just because something is prestigious doesn't always mean it has the best value. Case in point, I'm walking away from BMW as a customer because the value of owning one is no longer valuable to me. They nickel and dime you for tech that you find in Mazda's and Toyota's and their longevity and reliability is middle of the pack. Why would I continue to pay a premium for a car just for prestige if the value I get from it is not acceptable in the long run? I'd rather pay half the price of a new BMW for a used Lexus and get better value for my money. In this case, Harvard Extension School is the used Lexus.
You make some very good points. Some people also go overseas and get degrees from universities in Europe or Canada where it's cheap. Several of my friends after graduating from Columbia got into PhD programs in Europe. I myself have applied to do the same.

I also say some of the best students I've met at ilumina were the ones in the School of General Studues. Many already had full careers in the military or elsewhere and already had children. Going to Columbia or Harvard when you already have done a lot of things is very different from going there from high school. In that since extensions have more in common with grad schools, were students have generally already had work experience.

Old 05-30-2017, 05:24 PM

10,605 posts, read 20,739,640 times
Quote:

This is incorrect. Ashely Judd has a Master of Public Administration (MC/MPA) from Harvard's graduate school of Government (Kennedy School). This is the same program that Ban Ki Moon graduated from. Also the current president of Mongolia, the former president of Mexico and current president of Liberia. Of course not everyone in the program goes on to be head of state or Secretary General of the UN; some are journalists, filmmakers, military special forces, presidents of NGO's, spooks from MI-6 and Mossad, activists, parliamentarians, etc.

Judd falls into the activist category. http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/25/ed...5conted-t.html

Old 08-16-2017, 08:01 PM

5 posts, read 30,646 times
Quote:

According to Judd's wiki page she has a MPA degree. That would mean she went to HKS, not HES.

Quote:
It is very rare that anyone is accepted into Harvard College more than a year or two after prep/high school.

Quote:

It's not always about money. There are several schools within Harvard University (GSE, Divinity, GSD) where the earning potential is probably less than HLS, HBS, or Medical/Dental schools.

Last edited by Bullneck; 08-16-2017 at 08:11 PM..

Old 08-16-2017, 08:17 PM

5 posts, read 30,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
"

It's one of the 12 schools that make up Harvard University. And it's geared towards adult learners. Columbia University has something similar. Older students (as in those not going to college straight out of high school) go to Columbia's School of General Studies. About 1/5th of those people are in the military.
Columbia probably does the best job of reaching out to veterans. In general the urban Ivies (Columbia, Harvard, Penn) seemed to make more of an effort educate the local populace than the ones in smaller cities. But my info is a few years old.

Old 08-16-2017, 10:13 PM

221 posts, read 382,843 times
Interestingly this article came up on my facebook newsfeed the other day:

https://www.theatlantic.com/educatio...lasses/279644/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or