Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 07:25 AM

3,960 posts, read 3,566,911 times

Advertisements

Okay, I haven't been in Bed Stuy for about 10 years. Just recently went there again albeit to the western part bordering Clinton Hill: Franklin Ave, Bedford Ave, etc.
It is really astonishing to me how much it has gentrified!
I literally see more white people than black people there.
And tons of juice bars, organic groceries, coffee shops, etc, etc.
I never saw a neighborhood gentrify so fast and so extensively.
Yes, the neighborhood is "nice", but must all neighborhoods in NYC look exactly the same and lose their distinctive characters?
I am just wondering how the locals feel about the huge transformation of their neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2017, 07:31 AM

1,258 posts, read 1,451,643 times
The Juice Bar (I detest that institution) is shocking to see on Bedford. Who goes there to eat an avocado sandwich for $10? Please.

Old 08-03-2017, 07:53 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,611,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving415 View Post
The Juice Bar (I detest that institution) is shocking to see on Bedford. Who goes there to eat an avocado sandwich for $10? Please.
$10 for a sandwich in NYC is nothing out of the ordinary

Old 08-03-2017, 08:49 AM

1,258 posts, read 1,451,643 times
For an avocado sandwich in Bed Stuy? I think not. And it's a digusting chain.

Old 08-03-2017, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving415 View Post
For an avocado sandwich in Bed Stuy? I think not. And it's a digusting chain.
we get it, you really hate avocados lol

Old 08-03-2017, 09:26 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,823,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Okay, I haven't been in Bed Stuy for about 10 years. Just recently went there again albeit to the western part bordering Clinton Hill: Franklin Ave, Bedford Ave, etc.
It is really astonishing to me how much it has gentrified!
I literally see more white people than black people there.
And tons of juice bars, organic groceries, coffee shops, etc, etc.
I never saw a neighborhood gentrify so fast and so extensively.
Yes, the neighborhood is "nice", but must all neighborhoods in NYC look exactly the same and lose their distinctive characters?
I am just wondering how the locals feel about the huge transformation of their neighborhood.
This was my point quite some time ago A lot of people on this forum jumping up and down about how bad certain neighborhoods are had not been in years, and insist on describing these neighborhoods the last time they were there which is often years, if not decades ago. By 2009 that part of Bedstuy had started to have a big influx of white people.

Old 08-03-2017, 09:37 AM

983 posts, read 923,763 times
Gentrified yuppie neighborhoods do have a lot of sameness to them but what uniqueness or character did Bedstuy have before? Ghettos are also all the same.

Old 08-03-2017, 09:40 AM

12,741 posts, read 8,170,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammax View Post
Gentrified yuppie neighborhoods do have a lot of sameness to them but what uniqueness or character did Bedstuy have before? Ghettos are also all the same.
*LOL* Bed-stuy always had lots of brownstones. That alone makes it unique. Problem is a lot of them were run down.

Old 08-03-2017, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Problem is a lot of them were run down.
maybe inside, but from the outside they were always pretty majestic, certainly infinitely nicer than the cheap siding of Greenpoint or the brick tenaments of the Bronx

The Dutch, German, and Irish immigrants who built all those Bed-Stuy houses put all their blood sweat and tears and their considerable craftsman & trade expertise which you can't find anymore

Old 08-03-2017, 09:46 AM

12,741 posts, read 8,170,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
maybe inside, but from the outside they were always pretty majestic, certainly infinitely nicer than the cheap siding of Greenpoint or the brick tenaments of the Bronx

The Dutch, German, and Irish immigrants who built all those Bed-Stuy houses put all their blood sweat and tears and their considerable craftsman & trade expertise which you can't find anymore
Am in agreement. Now what's happening is, the outside is kept as is while the inside is gutted from top to bottom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City