U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 03:08 PM

33 posts, read 30,032 times

Advertisements

My husband is in the negotiation process with a new job in Soho and we're likely going to have to relocate from Albany to Brooklyn or Queens. Are there any good public schools in either borough that you all send your kids to or would if you had kids? So far we were thinking Park Slope, Bay Ridge, Astoria or Forest Hills. Although Forest Hills may be over our budget.

We may consider catholic school as well. Ideally we want 45 minutes or less commute time for my husband but we may move on that a little for the right location for our kids. Our kids are ages 3 and 5, our 5 year old is in Kindergarten.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2014, 04:14 PM

251 posts, read 271,847 times
Forest Hills has some of the best schools in the city and rentals are cheaper than Park Slope and Astoria.

What's your budget?

Old 11-23-2014, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv224 View Post
Forest Hills has some of the best schools in the city and rentals are cheaper than Park Slope and Astoria.

What's your budget?
We *think* 2-3k (higher end if things are included) - we are still waiting on the final offer so if that goes up we may be able to go higher. With my brief search it seemed like Forest Hills might be just outside of our price range, which is a bummer.

Do you think a broker is the way to go to help us navigate school zoning and what not? (if so do you know any?? haha)

Old 11-23-2014, 04:45 PM

We *think* 2-3k (higher end if things are included) - we are still waiting on the final offer so if that goes up we may be able to go higher. With my brief search it seemed like Forest Hills might be just outside of our price range, which is a bummer.

Do you think a broker is the way to go to help us navigate school zoning and what not? (if so do you know any?? haha)

Old 11-23-2014, 04:54 PM

251 posts, read 271,847 times
2-3K for a 2br or 3br? 2br is definitely doable in that range in forest hills. A 3BR could be possible - like this place: 73-20 Austin St. - Rental Unit Apartment Rental in Forest Hills, Queens | StreetEasy

This article details the zones, schools and neighborhoods in Forest Hills:
The Four Best Reasons to Live in Forest Hills | Mommy Poppins - Things to Do in NYC with Kids

Honestly, I think Astoria and Park Slope will be way more expensive. Not familiar with Bay Ridge.

Old 11-23-2014, 05:03 PM

10,630 posts, read 20,770,793 times
You could try this website Insideschools.org: Your independent guide to NYC public schools

Also I agree with rv. Forest Hills is cheaper than Park Slope, by far, and also should be cheaper than Astoria, although I am not always sure when I see people quoting prices in Astoria if they are prices for crappy apartments or decent, large ones. Forest Hills tends to have large apartments, so you might be ok in a 2 bedroom in Forest Hills, while a 2 bedroom in Astoria is going to be really cramped.

Bay Ridge and Forest Hills might be comparable in terms of rents, but I'm not sure about how the schools compare.

Old 11-23-2014, 05:04 PM

2,228 posts, read 2,951,674 times
Bay Ridge has some express buses that go downtown. Subway can be a long ride.

Old 11-23-2014, 05:32 PM

5 posts, read 5,526 times
2.5-3k should net a 2-2.5 bdrm in Park Slope. PS 321 & 39 are rated #1 & 2 respectively in the slope, i believe...There's also St. Saviour catholic school. Commute to SOHO should be an easy 35 minutes. Rent may even be negotiable, depending on owner if you're willing to do a 3+ year lease.

Old 11-23-2014, 05:42 PM

10,630 posts, read 20,770,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe_Trott View Post
2.5-3k should net a 2-2.5 bdrm in Park Slope. PS 321 & 39 are rated #1 & 2 respectively in the slope, i believe...There's also St. Saviour catholic school. Commute to SOHO should be an easy 35 minutes. Rent may even be negotiable, depending on owner if you're willing to do a 3+ year lease.
I thought a one bedroom would be around $2500-$3000 in Park Slope, but granted, I don't have any insider knowledge. I do know that 2 bedrooms in my un-hip neighborhood in Queens are going for $2200-$2400 so I just figured it would cost significantly more to live in an ultra-desirable neighborhood like Park Slope.

Old 11-23-2014, 05:52 PM

Thanks everyone, we do ideally want a 3 bedroom but could make do with 2. We are in a 4 bedroom house now so it will be a change but we can adjust.

The main reason we like Astoria/Park Slope is the shorter commute. The main reasons we like Forest Hills and Bay Ridge are the larger spaces for less money. I wont know anyone when we move and my oldest is in school and my youngest will be in pre school so I'm a little anxious to be far out with my husband on a long commute but again we'll adjust. Might be a little lonely for a while though!!

Thanks for the input and links, I'll check them all out! If anyone has other thoughts please keep them coming
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or