U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-27-2014, 11:04 AM
 
66 posts, read 66,424 times
Reputation: 96

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
Washington DC is really the capital of the world, and the country's most powerful city.
NYC, LA, Paris, Toronto (emerging), Tokyo, and London are all "world capitals"...I don't think there's just one.
Thanks for the laugh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-27-2014, 11:22 AM
 
Location: Philadelphia
5,303 posts, read 7,637,472 times
Reputation: 2136
Quote:
Originally Posted by London Lawyer View Post
Thanks for the laugh.
You're quite welcome. I'm glad your arrogant self can't appreciate the fact that a large number of other cities are more or less equal to NYC and have just about the same things to offer in terms of nightlife, museums, music, good restaurants, and diversity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2014, 11:49 AM
 
39 posts, read 36,048 times
Reputation: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
You're quite welcome. I'm glad your arrogant self can't appreciate the fact that a large number of other cities are more or less equal to NYC and have just about the same things to offer in terms of nightlife, museums, music, good restaurants, and diversity.
That's not a fact. Washington, LA, and Toronto aren't even close to New York City. London is not nearly as wealthy, and it's not the epicenter of the world's largest economy, nor does it host the UN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2014, 12:02 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia
5,303 posts, read 7,637,472 times
Reputation: 2136
Washington DC is the epicenter of our country, the "epicenter of the world's largest economy".
Toronto is very similar in many ways to NYC, and is certainly growing. There are some who claim Toronto is more ethnically diverse than NYC.

LA, while not having good public transit or urban density, more or less offers everything NYC does at a cheaper price and with better natural surroundings and weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2014, 12:11 PM
 
128 posts, read 161,488 times
Reputation: 123
Would you still care about those things after 35?
its good for young people and to make money. but you get sick of it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2014, 12:47 PM
 
66 posts, read 66,424 times
Reputation: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
Washington DC is the epicenter of our country, the "epicenter of the world's largest economy".
Toronto is very similar in many ways to NYC, and is certainly growing. There are some who claim Toronto is more ethnically diverse than NYC.

LA, while not having good public transit or urban density, more or less offers everything NYC does at a cheaper price and with better natural surroundings and weather.
All of the power in DC is borrowed from somewhere else. That's the entire point of congressmen and senators. DC's power is granted to them from all the other states. They could not "shut down" anything unless they had unilateral approval, which would never happen. DC in and of itself as a city does not have the power to do whatever it wants.

The real power in America comes from lobbyists, who can be from anywhere, as long as there is enough money. New York governs the world's economy. Banks can go out of business and cripple the entire world in a single swoop. If and when New York wiggles its fingers, Washington DC dances. Most of the politicians in Washington DC have been bought and sold by New York money. Which is why politicians all run to New York City for more fundraising when they're low on funds. New York is the master of the Universe and Washington DC is the b****. Now shut up and dance.

The "power" in DC today is mostly owned by Multi-National Corporations (that have no allegiance to any single nation) and special (read: wealthy) interest, due to the fact that most politicians sell their power to the highest bidder.

But above all this power (corruption) is the power of The US Dollar, which dictates everything in our system and which is largely controlled in New York City and London. The Federal Reserve branch in New York City is the most powerful in this country, but to get a true sense of where the power lies you must look at who owns the Federal Reserve system. Note that it is not only Americans and is pretty much the same banking institutions that created out financial system in 1913 (Rothschild, Rockefeller, JP Morgan, Lehman, Warburg).



New York, New York...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2014, 12:51 PM
 
383 posts, read 379,420 times
Reputation: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lion. View Post
If New York City is not the #1 city on Earth, what is? Let's not pretend London, a city much less wealthy than NY, doesn't have the same problems with crime and homeless people. Besides, New York City is the safest big city in America.

The local economy is doing tremendously relative to the rest of the U.S. Where have you been?

The lack of affordability lends more credence to my assertion that NY is the world's #1 city.
Well, going by some of your metrics, one can argue Tokyo, Seoul, Singapore or Shanghai. Any of those cities have far better public transport and tech infrastructure (internet in general is faster and cheaper outside of the states). Buildings are newer and stronger, not to mention cleaner. There are less vagrants and crime there also. They too are financial capitals, home of their respective conglomerates/keirestsu/chaebols. To claim NYC has "World Class Public Transport" b/c of the Fulton Center and WTC stations is just arrogance.

When the MTA can finish an entire track rehaul in the span of one night, then you can say we have "world class" public transport.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIbZ...ature=youtu.be
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2014, 01:05 PM
 
39 posts, read 36,048 times
Reputation: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by London Lawyer View Post
All of the power in DC is borrowed from somewhere else. That's the entire point of congressmen and senators. DC's power is granted to them from all the other states. They could not "shut down" anything unless they had unilateral approval, which would never happen. DC in and of itself as a city does not have the power to do whatever it wants.

The real power in America comes from lobbyists, who can be from anywhere, as long as there is enough money. New York governs the world's economy. Banks can go out of business and cripple the entire world in a single swoop. If and when New York wiggles its fingers, Washington DC dances. Most of the politicians in Washington DC have been bought and sold by New York money. Which is why politicians all run to New York City for more fundraising when they're low on funds. New York is the master of the Universe and Washington DC is the b****. Now shut up and dance.

The "power" in DC today is mostly owned by Multi-National Corporations (that have no allegiance to any single nation) and special (read: wealthy) interest, due to the fact that most politicians sell their power to the highest bidder.

But above all this power (corruption) is the power of The US Dollar, which dictates everything in our system and which is largely controlled in New York City and London. The Federal Reserve branch in New York City is the most powerful in this country, but to get a true sense of where the power lies you must look at who owns the Federal Reserve system. Note that it is not only Americans and is pretty much the same banking institutions that created out financial system in 1913 (Rothschild, Rockefeller, JP Morgan, Lehman, Warburg).



New York, New York...

Great post, LL. Economics rule politics. Always have, always will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2014, 01:14 PM
 
Location: Glendale NY
4,841 posts, read 7,862,822 times
Reputation: 3503
You both sound completely ridiculous now. Shouldn't you both be standing in front of the Empire State Building gawking instead of posting here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2014, 04:14 AM
 
159 posts, read 140,412 times
Reputation: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
You both sound completely ridiculous now. Shouldn't you both be standing in front of the Empire State Building gawking instead of posting here?
He's funny though I'll give you that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top