Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2014, 08:28 PM

42 posts, read 166,065 times

Advertisements

This is my current toilet at home. It's basically a commercial toilet that uses 'flushometer'

I want to replace it as it's leaking onto the neighbor downstairs, and it's very old.

On home depot's website, I see a few American standard models, but when I try to buy, it says it cannot be shipped to NY.

eg:

American Standard Madera FloWise Elongated Toilet Bowl Only in White-3451.001.020 at The Home Depot

I saw a few Kohler models, without the shipping restriction, but it has an alarming message on the product descrption: “Sweat extension nipple required for 12 in. rough-in". My current toilet's rough in IS 12-inches, so I don't know if that message will cause me trouble when my contractor comes to install it.

eg:

KOHLER Highcliff Elongated Toilet Bowl Only in White-K-4368-L-0 at The Home Depot

Any suggestion as to how I can buy such a toilet with 12-inch rough in for my home (with home delivery), will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2014, 09:39 PM

5,297 posts, read 6,173,625 times
Most all plumbers have wholesale accounts at plumbing supply companies and they can also easily connect a new toilet to the existing flushometer. You could probably buy a toilet at one of these places and arrange for delivery although you wouldn't buy at the wholesale price. The best commercial elongated toilets and flushometers are made by Zurn (formerly headquartered in Erie, PA), not Kohler or American Standard.

Old 11-25-2014, 05:35 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,060,391 times
x60,

Where is the leak?
From your picture it LOOKS in pretty good condition.
When I had one of these back when, the only thing I needed to do was replace the rubber fluch gasket inside when it sprang a leak.

Probably the reason for the "cannot be shipped to NY" is that NYC has strict regulations against replacing toilets with high water volume models.
I replaced my old 5 gallon toilet that looked like Hell with microcracks in the porcelaiin but had to use a 1.6 Liter model instead (Kohler Wellworth.)

Old 11-28-2014, 02:08 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,655,549 times
I'm not a plumbing expert, but let me see what I can add.

1. Flushometer toilets seem to be the norm in most of NYC (or at least, in most middle-classes places in Manhattan), although elsewhere in the country it's mostly tank toilets.

2. You may be speaking of two different issues - replacing the toilet OR replacing the flushometer. You can do them separately. I recently replaced a flushometer, keeping the same toilet. It could even be a matter of just replacing one small part of the flushometer.

3. I'm guessing that if your downstairs neighbor is experiencing a leak, it's possible that the problem is NEITHER the toilet nor the flushometer, but in the pipes leading out and down.

4. Start with a good plumber. Do you have one?

5. I don't know why anyone would want to buy something like this online. There are tons of stores for plumbing fixtures in NYC. Go in person and discuss. Smolka and Central both have nice showrooms. If you need the flushometer, you might be stuck needing a particular kind, in which case N. Y. Replacement Parts is often the go-to source. But discuss it with your plumber first, in case there are particular requirements.

Old 11-28-2014, 03:33 PM

42 posts, read 166,065 times
Thanks for all the answers. I bought one online from faucets.com and my contractor says he'll install it for me when it arrives, and he will also replace the flange on the bottom of the toilet, as that's probably the source of the leak.

Old 11-29-2014, 06:34 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,060,391 times
Quote:

the flange on the bottom of the toilet, as that's probably the source of the
leak.
Pity.
That is a big wax gasket that smooshes into place and seals off the toilet from leaks and sewer gases. Incredibly cheap fix that didn't need a whole new toilet. BUT to get at the gasket the toilet has to be removed, so if you were going to replace the toilet now is the best time.

For $2:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City