U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2014, 09:18 AM

339 posts, read 556,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Well, he sure wasn't innocent of armed robbery and has now been locked away for a long time.

OJ was one of the biggest morons around. The man is infamous for the deaths of Nicole Simpson and Ron Goldman, and he tries to do an ARMED robbery?
Not to mention he wrote a book ADMITTING he killed them.

One of my warmest memories is watching a news piece on the aftermath of the acquittal, maybe a year after the verdict, showing what a pariah OJ had become. Restaurants refused to seat him (and he threatened to sue them for racial discrimination--uh, dude, you need to read up on the law. They can refuse service to anyone as long as it's not on the basis of race, gender, etc. IOW they're kicking you out not because you're black but because you're OJ Simpson). Golf courses wouldn't let him reserve tee times. And the best was when a young woman asked to shake his hand and then, smiling, said "I've always wanted to know what it was like to shake hands with a murderer." The look of impotent, suppressed rage on his face was gratifying.

Old 11-26-2014, 09:22 AM

455 posts, read 758,719 times
They're just being selfish and looking for attention. Disrupting traffic doesn't help their so called cause.

Old 11-26-2014, 09:23 AM

2,721 posts, read 2,147,083 times
Most of these people are 'professional protestors' that are just looking to feel involved in some type of movement or civil unrest. Given that, the rain will show just how much anyone cares - I doubt there are any protests today that will affect traffic.

Old 11-26-2014, 10:34 AM

23,262 posts, read 16,076,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian1231 View Post
Ghetto culture at its finest. In every other culture going to prison is looked down upon and shameful for that person and his family. In the black communities it is glorified and looked at as a badge on honor. No amount of affirmative action will do anything as long as this sick mindset is still prevelant. But its all the " crackers" fault. Right. Your people have awoken the rest of the country to how much respect you have for the law. Going to be fun watching a bunch of bloods and crips vs. national guard/Army.
For the record, not even in hoods is going to prison seeing as a badge of honor. A felony not only denies you employment or educational opportunities, you can be denied housing. I've known people to get thrown out of housing projects because of criminal convictions,and no relative can let them stay with them or else they may lose their housing.

What happens to these people? They live in halfway houses or homeless shelters, or other specialized housing as they cannot get into the housing projects or welfare apartments.

So clearly there are major consequences to committing crime, life long consequences.

Old 11-26-2014, 03:53 PM

2,178 posts, read 1,723,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
For the record, not even in hoods is going to prison seeing as a badge of honor. A felony not only denies you employment or educational opportunities, you can be denied housing. I've known people to get thrown out of housing projects because of criminal convictions,and no relative can let them stay with them or else they may lose their housing.

What happens to these people? They live in halfway houses or homeless shelters, or other specialized housing as they cannot get into the housing projects or welfare apartments.

So clearly there are major consequences to committing crime, life long consequences.
You ain't never lied NyWriterdude! I love it when these people who wouldn't even walk in these neighborhoods, let alone alone live here come up with these asinine generalizations about Blacks & Hispanics. Idk a single individual in this neighborhood that glorifies the "thug culture".

Old 11-26-2014, 04:02 PM

2,178 posts, read 1,723,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
Not all black people, or black communities, admire ex-cons. But, in the ghettos & 'hoods, a stretch upstate can indeed be a badge of honor, among those who admire, or aspire to, the Thug Life.
First logical post I've seen from you... <_<

But me personally living in the "hood" I don't know anyone personally who sees going to jail/prison as a badge of honor. Quite honestly I think that ideology is slowly changing with the help of all of those who share that ideology dying out or being arrested & more emphasis being but on school. I know quite a few people here who are going to college or the military, whether they'll be successful who knows...

Old 11-26-2014, 04:21 PM

23,262 posts, read 16,076,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman96 View Post
You ain't never lied NyWriterdude! I love it when these people who wouldn't even walk in these neighborhoods, let alone alone live here come up with these asinine generalizations about Blacks & Hispanics. Idk a single individual in this neighborhood that glorifies the "thug culture".
But since they already have these beliefs, they will support anything and everything to get rid of "thug" culture and that includes entire poor neighborhoods. Either through police or raising up the price of real estate, the poor Black population in big cities like NYC will continue to decrease.

Despite the protestations of those Blacks on this forum who identify as "middle class" and who speaking of the suffering of "middle class" Blacks being forced out. Please. Clearly as far as the comments on here indicate, if you can't afford these areas you're poor and ghetto and you need to be priced out with the other scum.

Now I personally do think gentrification does a lot of good things, because I recall being mugged by thugs in the 90s and there is absolutely no reason for me to defend them from white conservatives. At the same time, it's true that poor Blacks are stereotyped (not everyone in a poor neighborhood is a criminal). Sadly those non criminals will suffer as much as the criminals as the mainstream society often will not make the distinction. Just look at the comments on this forum.

Old 11-26-2014, 05:20 PM

113 posts, read 103,644 times
Quote:
What does it say about the neighborhood that I would have to fear for my safety because of my beliefs?

Old 11-26-2014, 06:43 PM

15,235 posts, read 23,770,707 times
Just exactly what are they protesting for???

Michael Brown stole, assaulted a storekeeper and punched a cop in the face twice.

He wasnt a saint. There should be nothing to protest. He was nothing more than a common criminal.

How do these protestors not see this?

Old 11-26-2014, 06:57 PM

3,245 posts, read 4,164,794 times
Quote:
living in the "hood" I don't know anyone personally who sees going to jail/prison as a badge of honor.
Well, the mayor is spending millions on a bull**** program supposedly using ex-cons to diffusepotentially violent situations:
The mayor’s empty ‘anti-violence’ plan | New York Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or