Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 09:45 AM

3,244 posts, read 5,239,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
In trying to understand their actions and position(s), people should bear in mind that they actually believe very strongly in their own victimization as specifically black people, and that there is, therefore, a broader goal that justifies any sort of action or behavior.
I talk to many different people every day and can attest that everyone except the wealthy, race notwithstanding, is struggling in some way in this current world in which we live. I can also attest that a certain class of black people firmly believe that their troubles are entirely founded in continuing racism.
The problem there is - it becomes impossible to protest something actual. The actual problems, based in economics and the related class realities, become invisible. But I suppose that's the point ...
Ran out of rep for you, but this could be the post of the year.

Old 11-28-2014, 09:56 AM

2,248 posts, read 2,347,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
This isn't English class.

I'm sure everyone knows what I meant, but thank you for pointing that out to me.

Also, English isn't my primary language.

PS: Doesn't everyone hate it and find it totally annoying when another poster has to correct your grammar, as if were children here and need to be told when you spelt a word wrong, or need check your grammar.

No matter what, that there man done set his race back decades...
Touched a nerve, eh? You still continue to base the actions of one individual and blame an entire race One can easily say you're setting back whatever racial group you belong to with your level of literacy.

Since English isn't your "primary" language here's my English 101 lesson from me to you...

"Spelt" is a Wheat found in Europe, "Spelled" is how something's written.

James Holmes didn't set the entire White races back to savage killers because of his actions, James is a turd who deserves to be executed.

This man didn't set the entire Black race back because of his words, he's an angry parent who needs to watch what he says.

Enough of the damn generalizations...

Old 11-28-2014, 10:03 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,926,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman96 View Post
Touched a nerve, eh? You still continue to base the actions of one individual and blame an entire race One can easily say you're setting back whatever racial group you belong to with your level of literacy.

Since English isn't your "primary" language here's my English 101 lesson from me to you...

"Spelt" is a Wheat found in Europe, "Spelled" is how something's written.

James Holmes didn't set the entire White races back to savage killers because of his actions, James is a turd who deserves to be executed.

This man didn't set the entire Black race back because of his words, he's an angry parent who needs to watch what he says.

Enough of the damn generalizations...
Speaking of lessons.

"Spelt" is the past perfect form of the verb "to spell."

Moreover, the actual resonance of this person's act - the father - will, indeed, entail blaming an entire "racial group," at least for many. An observation does not initiate the reality. The context for such generalizations is already present, in our culture at large. Better to discuss this honestly rather than deny the reality.

Old 11-28-2014, 10:10 AM

2,678 posts, read 1,700,236 times
Quote:
This is exactly it.

In trying to understand their actions and position(s), people should bear in mind that they actually believe very strongly in their own victimization as specifically black people, and that there is, therefore, a broader goal that justifies any sort of action or behavior.

I talk to many different people every day and can attest that everyone except the wealthy, race notwithstanding, is struggling in some way in this current world in which we live. I can also attest that a certain class of black people firmly believe that their troubles are entirely founded in continuing racism.

The problem there is - it becomes impossible to protest something actual. The actual problems, based in economics and the related class realities, become invisible. But I suppose that's the point ...

And the for-profit schools certainly are not teaching the critical and analytical thinking skills needed to gain any awareness of anything at all.
what broader goal?

Perhaps specific individuals of certain class, but I wouldn't say an entire class of black people believe that their troubles are entirely because of racism. And just because you talk to many people everyday, regardless of education level, (and I'm sure a large number may not be very well educated as you) doesn't justify that opinion either.

Last edited by Relaxx; 11-28-2014 at 10:23 AM..

Old 11-28-2014, 10:15 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,621,245 times
Quote:
Speaking of lessons.

Moreover, the actual resonance of this person's act - the father - will, indeed, entail blaming an entire "racial group," at least for many. An observation does not initiate the reality. The context for such generalizations is already present, in our culture at large. Better to discuss this honestly rather than deny the reality.

love all your posts

Old 11-28-2014, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Speaking of lessons.

He's actually the stepfather, the biological father wanted people to protest peacefully. Your points are valid though, nobody's denying that, it's just annoying as hell when people constantly slander an entire race (specifically the black race) based off of the actions of one individual.

I guess I'm the one who had a nerve struck... Haha

Last edited by Railman96; 11-28-2014 at 11:09 AM..

Old 11-28-2014, 11:02 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,008,037 times
This entire protest is a waste of time and resources.

Old 11-28-2014, 11:24 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,310,360 times
What is the significance of boycotting "white" businesses? Why slander an entire race (specifically the white race) based off the actions of one individual?

Old 11-28-2014, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
This entire protest is a waste of time and resources.
Indeed it is, are people still protesting in NY though? I'd be surprised if they were.

Old 11-28-2014, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
What is the significance of boycotting "white" businesses? Why slander an entire race (specifically the white race) based off the actions of one individual?
Are the protesters claiming that the actions of officer Darren Wilson set his race back? Highly doubt it. Speaking of him it's being reported that he's leaving the police department in Ferguson, a true shame if you ask me. Hopefully that donation money will be able to sustain him & his family.

On the contrary I'm more than positive that there are many AA's shopping today at "White businesses".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City