Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2014, 08:27 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,246,410 times

Advertisements

So education is overrated? From personal family experience, those that received it moved up and those that didn't did not.

As for the Michael Brown incident, I don't know anyone that would shake a store clerk down like that, nor anyone that would raise a fist to law enforcement in that manner. And if anyone did, I wouldn't expect it to go well for them. So when his mom said it could of been any of our kids, I thought to myself that it couldn't because people are supposed to be taught to not act like that. Even Lil Kim wouldn't act in such a way. Dude contributed to his own death.

Old 11-27-2014, 08:45 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,814,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
So education is overrated? From personal family experience, those that received it moved up and those that didn't did not.

As for the Michael Brown incident, I don't know anyone that would shake a store clerk down like that, nor anyone that would raise a fist to law enforcement in that manner. And if anyone did, I wouldn't expect it to go well for them. So when his mom said it could of been any of our kids, I thought to myself that it couldn't because people are supposed to be taught to not act like that. Even Lil Kim wouldn't act in such a way. Dude contributed to his own death.
Personal family experience isn't all encompassing, meaning not everyone has the experience of your family. There's actually a lot of literature on the important of your social and family network as far as career advancement or moving into wealth goes. As for the man contributing to his death, I don't dispute that.

Old 11-27-2014, 10:11 PM

18,841 posts, read 13,725,226 times
Michael Brown was a piece of crap. It sucks that he lived merely to ruin the life of a goood police officer.

Old 11-27-2014, 10:32 PM

2,517 posts, read 4,239,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Michael Brown was a piece of crap. It sucks that he lived merely to ruin the life of a goood police officer.
Agree!

Old 11-28-2014, 03:23 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,246,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Personal family experience isn't all encompassing, meaning not everyone has the experience of your family. There's actually a lot of literature on the important of your social and family network as far as career advancement or moving into wealth goes. As for the man contributing to his death, I don't dispute that.
Unfortunately, there is no other choice. We've been blessed with the gift of thought and reason, but it is our ultimately our choice for its development and application. A lot of luck is involved as well, but without education and persistence, luck will rarely find you. Some have this network you speak of, but there are too many examples of those that succeed without it. My family didn't have this so called network. You either picked up a book with focus and a goal and moved forward, or not.

Old 11-28-2014, 09:00 AM

18,359 posts, read 31,439,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post

I agree also.

and his family are crap as well, dont forget that.

just hearing the mother tell the interviewer that she "didn't believe a word" of what the cop said was enough to turn me off.
did she NOT see the video where her prescious lil baby stole the cigars, (and he shouldn't be smoking cigars anyway), and pushed the storekeeper????? is she blind?

he punched an officer in the face, not once, but twice. who does this?

and then to see the husband screaming in the town, burn this ** down.
it is almost laughable to see such behavior like this from an adult man who set his own race back 2000 years.

but it also shows the mentality of these people.

"oh I'm mad, let me break a store window".....

again, who does this in their own neighborhood?????

Last edited by nightcrawler; 11-28-2014 at 09:49 AM..

Old 11-28-2014, 09:26 AM

2,248 posts, read 2,333,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I agree also.

and his family are crap as well, dont forget that.

just hearing the mother tell the interviewer that she "didn't believe a word" of what the cop said was enough to turn me off.
did she NOT see the video where her prescious lil baby stole the cigars, (and he should be smoking cigars anyway), and pushed the storekeeper????? is she blind?

he punched an officer in the face, not once, but twice. who does this?

and then to see the husband screaming in the town, burn this ** down.
it is almost laugheable to see such behavior like this from an adult manactually them man set his own race back 2000 years.

but it also shows the mentality of these people.

"oh I'm mad, let me break a store window".....

again, who does this in their own neighborhood?????
"actually them man set his own race back 2000 years." Before you judge an entire race based off of a few individuals make sure you proofread your sentences...

Old 11-28-2014, 09:54 AM

18,359 posts, read 31,439,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman96 View Post
"actually them man set his own race back 2000 years." Before you judge an entire race based off of a few individuals make sure you proofread your sentences...

This isn't English class.

I'm sure everyone knows what I meant, but thank you for pointing that out to me.

Also, English isn't my primary language.

PS: Doesn't everyone hate it and find it totally annoying when another poster has to correct your grammar, as if were children here and need to be told when you spelt a word wrong, or need check your grammar.

No matter what, that there man done set his race back decades...

Last edited by nightcrawler; 11-28-2014 at 10:24 AM..

Old 11-28-2014, 09:59 AM

3,244 posts, read 5,218,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
hearing the mother tell the interviewer that she "didn't believe a word" of what the cop said was enough to turn me off ... then to see the husband screaming in the town, burn this ** down. it is almost laughable
One commentator mentioned that the Brown family lawyer had been informed of the Grand Jury' decision, prior to the press conference, and suggested that his mother & stepfather had probably been advised as well, which would make their reactions nothing more than street theater and bombast.
We didn't see his father out there. He appeared at a press conference & released a calm statement, but did not speak or carry on. Frankly, I don't know why the mother would be outside. She could have asked to sit in the courtroom, when the announcement was made. Who would refuse her? Of course, there wouldn't have been a rabble around her, to rouse.
The courtroom itself did not seem crowded. I don't know if access was limited, but there seemed to be a lot more cameras outside, waiting for the reaction & the almost inevitable rioting.

Old 11-28-2014, 10:11 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,880,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
One commentator mentioned that the Brown family lawyer had been informed of the Grand Jury' decision, prior to the press conference, and suggested that his mother & stepfather had probably been advised as well, which would make their reactions nothing more than street theater and bombast.
We didn't see his father out there. He appeared at a press conference & released a calm statement, but did not speak or carry on. Frankly, I don't know why the mother would be outside. She could have asked to sit in the courtroom, when the announcement was made. Who would refuse her? Of course, there wouldn't have been a rabble around her, to rouse.
The courtroom itself did not seem crowded. I don't know if access was limited, but there seemed to be a lot more cameras outside, waiting for the reaction & the almost inevitable rioting.
This is exactly it.

In trying to understand their actions and position(s), people should bear in mind that they actually believe very strongly in their own victimization as specifically black people, and that there is, therefore, a broader goal that justifies any sort of action or behavior.

I talk to many different people every day and can attest that everyone except the wealthy, race notwithstanding, is struggling in some way in this current world in which we live. I can also attest that a certain class of black people firmly believe that their troubles are entirely founded in continuing racism.

The problem there is - it becomes impossible to protest something actual. The actual problems, based in economics and the related class realities, become invisible. But I suppose that's the point ...

And the for-profit schools certainly are not teaching the critical and analytical thinking skills needed to gain any awareness of anything at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City