U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-30-2014, 09:33 AM
 
2,228 posts, read 2,950,121 times
Reputation: 1133

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rare727 View Post
The politics of the NYC city-data forum are basically the complete opposite of the politics you'll encounter when you're actually in NYC.
Where in NYC??? You think the folks in Middle Village share the same idea of Park Slope? You think Upper West Side shares the same thoughts as the folks in Woodlawn or Totenville? New Yorkers are not monolithic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-30-2014, 10:03 AM
 
Location: NYC
117 posts, read 83,187 times
Reputation: 127
I grew up in NC and it's crazy because everyone I know in NC pretty much is blue and then the people I meet here in NYC(and my relatives who live a couple hours outside of the city) are republican.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2014, 10:23 AM
 
Location: Financial District
299 posts, read 491,572 times
Reputation: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
I think it is really just the waterfront locations that us middle and working class folks are so jealous of. All along the east river in Manhattan, Brooklyn and Queens has become financially out of reach for many hard working families, yet not for those on public assistance.
Also the commute. To me the commute is one of the biggest quality of life factors in the decision where to live. If you look at factors that really affect your life, you don't need to live next to nightlife or whatever, but the commute you do twice a day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2014, 10:29 AM
 
23,262 posts, read 16,082,841 times
Reputation: 8543
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
How about those 20/80 buildings for low incomes? they cannot be that crappy given the other 80%.
80/20s. The 20% is not permanent, you realize. In order to get the tax credit, the companies agree to provide units for the low income for a set period of time. Moving forward there's nothing to stop them from getting rid of the 20% once that period of time has passed.

Instead of being jealous of poor people confront that you aren't currently making enough money to get a nice place in Manhattan and move forward there if it really is important for you to live in Manhattan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2014, 02:22 PM
 
3,337 posts, read 3,130,210 times
Reputation: 2337
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
80/20s. The 20% is not permanent, you realize. In order to get the tax credit, the companies agree to provide units for the low income for a set period of time. Moving forward there's nothing to stop them from getting rid of the 20% once that period of time has passed.

Instead of being jealous of poor people confront that you aren't currently making enough money to get a nice place in Manhattan and move forward there if it really is important for you to live in Manhattan.
I understand that you argue in order to win each argument, therefore you will come up with any excuse or circumstancial evidence to shoot your opponent done. my stance is to make a point of some serious issues that we face so each person would be mindful and aware of the issues that bother me, but it is fine if i misunderstand the issue being discussed or others do not agree.
however, i think you are making very weak arguments here in.order to win the argument, as always, and i again have to point out the following to help you understand the blind spots in your illogical reasoning:
1) in your previous post which was also endorsed by 7th, you seem to dispute that those ppl living in low income housing projects worth sympathy given the rough enviroment assoicated HP buildings. both of you miss the underlying causes to why HPs are often like that. you sound as if that those ppl were forced into those HPs, but the point being discussed is the location and convenience of commute to work in manhattan. and you also fail to recognize that it is the resident who created the mess and hostile living conditions of those HPs, instead of that those HPs were designed to be that way when built. If you dump those HP residents into any upscale nabes such as the UES, they will quickly convert those high end nabes into ghettos. Did I make myself clear enough on this?

2)in your last post, you added that permanency status of the 20/80 programs as a rebuttal point, which again relects a lack of logic in your thoughts. no matter how many years of limit this program enforces on the 20% projects, it is by design to favor the low income on an unfair basis. even if they get to enjoy for just five years of residence ina brand new building on a heavilly discounted price because they were less qualified to afford the market rate, it is an unfair welfare system to others who are more skilled but have to endure long commutes to find affordable living.

What else, mr riterdude?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2014, 02:28 PM
 
23,262 posts, read 16,082,841 times
Reputation: 8543
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
I understand that you argue to win each argument, therefore you will come up with any excuse or circumstancial evidence to shoot you opponent done. my stance is to make a point of some serious issues that we face so each person would be mindful and aware of the issues that bother me, but it is fine if i misunderstand the issue being discussed or others do not agree.
however, i think you are making very weak arguments here in.order to win the argument, as always, and i again have to point out the following to help you understand the blind spots in your logical reasoning:
1) in your previous post which was also endorsed by 7th, you seem to dispute that those ppl living in low income housing projects worth sympathy given the rough enviroment assoicated HP buildings. both of you miss the underlying causes to why HPs are often like that. you sound as if that those ppl were forced into those HPs, but the point being discussed is the location and convenience of commute to work in manhattan. and you also fail to recognize that it is the resident who created the mess and hostile living conditions of those HPs, instead of that those HPs were designed to be that way when built. If you dump those HP residents into any upscale nabes such as the UES, they will quickly convert those high end nabes into ghettos. Did I make myself clear enough on this?

2)in your last post, you added that permanency status of the 20/80 prog
rams as a rebuttal point, which again relects a lack of logic in your thoughts. no matter how many years of limit this program enforces on the 20% projects, it is by design to favor the low income on an unfair basis. even if they get to enjoy just fuve years of residence ina brand new building on a heavilly discounted price because they were less qualified to afford the market rate, it is an unfair welfare system to others who are more skilled but have to endure long commutes to find affordable living.

What else, mr riterdude?


A: Life is not fair, it never was or will be. Deal with it.
B: If you personally want a convenient location in Manhattan, you're going to have to move up in a career path that can sustain it. Period. Or you can continue to enjoy your long commute.
C: Being more skilled does not entitle you to live in Manhattan. Making enough money can get you into Manhattan, but clearly you don't make enough money to live in Manhattan. So all you can do is hate on housing project residents. Lame. Hate on them all you want, at the end of the day you are still living in the outer boroughs and you still can't afford Manhattan!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2014, 02:39 PM
 
3,337 posts, read 3,130,210 times
Reputation: 2337
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
A: Life is not fair, it never was or will be. Deal with it.
B: If you personally want a convenient location in Manhattan, you're going to have to move up in a career path that can sustain it. Period. Or you can continue to enjoy your long commute.
C: Being more skilled does not entitle you to live in Manhattan. Making enough money can get you into Manhattan, but clearly you don't make enough money to live in Manhattan. So all you can do is hate on housing project residents. Lame. Hate on them all you want, at the end of the day you are still living in the outer boroughs and you still can't afford Manhattan!
So i see another trick you like to play besides the race card... the hate card.

again, you miss the point of being discussed in the context or you simply cannot follow a basic logic in discussing issues when you see no chance of winning your lame arguments. you start to label ppl as 1) being jealous; 2) being racist; 3) being hateful; 4) ......

cornell failed to train you properly, bro, and i will support your pettition for a tuition reimbusement from them...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2014, 02:46 PM
 
23,262 posts, read 16,082,841 times
Reputation: 8543
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
So i see another trick you like to play besides the race card... the hate card.

again, you miss the point of being discussed in the context or you simply cannot follow a basic logic in discussing issues when you see no chance of winning your lame arguments. you start to label ppl as 1) being jealous; 2) being racist; 3) being hateful; 4) ......

cornell failed to train you properly, bro, and i will support your pettition for a tuition reimbusement from them...
Dude:

I don't care that you're upset that a lady in public housing can live close to her job, where you can't. Apparently your skills don't mean what you think they mean. It's something YOU have to live with, not me.

I don't care who is doing what in the public houses, I don't live there and no I am not worried about what is fair re: public housing and working class people. What I care about is my own life, and whether I am doing the things I need to do and how that's working out for me.

There's absolutely nothing I can do about your situation versus your friend, who despite living in public housing you by your own admissions are jealous of.

And at the end of the day, by your admission clearly you are bitter because despite your skills and advanced education, you cannot afford Manhattan.

As for me, I am in Manhattan, and I'm rather happy about it. So there's no need to ask Cornell for a refund.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2014, 03:00 PM
 
3,337 posts, read 3,130,210 times
Reputation: 2337
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Dude:

I don't care that you're upset that a lady in public housing can live close to her job, where you can't. Apparently your skills don't mean what you think they mean. It's something YOU have to live with, not me.

I don't care who is doing what in the public houses, I don't live there and no I am not worried about what is fair re: public housing and working class people. What I care about is my own life, and whether I am doing the things I need to do and how that's working out for me.

There's absolutely nothing I can do about your situation versus your friend, who despite living in public housing you by your own admissions are jealous of.

And at the end of the day, by your admission clearly you are bitter because despite your skills and advanced education, you cannot afford Manhattan.

As for me, I am in Manhattan, and I'm rather happy about it. So there's no need to ask Cornell for a refund.

HOW does this relate to the topic being discussed bro?
Oh now I am being bitter per your last diagnosis. it is very typical of you to get off topic when you lose an argument and threat ppl with offensive titles. sorry, that trick has been overused so no longer effective.

Fyi, i can move into a dim manhattan apt at any time with 3 other roomates as you are probably doing , but i am not willing to do that for apparent reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2014, 03:06 PM
 
23,262 posts, read 16,082,841 times
Reputation: 8543
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
HOW does this relate to the topic being discussed bro?
Oh now I am being bitter per your last diagnosis. it is very typical of you to get off topic when you lose an argument and threat ppl with offensive titles. sorry, that trick has been overused so no longer effective.

Fyi, i can move into a dim manhattan apt at any time with 3 other roomates as you are probably doing , but i am not willing to do that for apparent reasons.
No, you were the one who put your personal business and that of a woman you knew on the forum. I replied accordingly. No one on this forum can do anything about the fact she has a deal you apparently cannot get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top