Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 03:10 PM

2,238 posts, read 1,442,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
Do republican/conservative views/rants have to equal neo-fascists?

I always advocated for welfare systems prior to coming to NYC, where I found myself to be a big loser to the system to my uttermost shock . Here is an outrageous example among many others, which involves standard of living comparisons between myself and a colleague of mine relative to our education/skill sets/incomes. So my colleague has no college education, works an entry level union job, and makes ~1/4 of what I make. I, on the other hand, possess one of the most advanced degrees on the planet earth with a whole package of high end skill sets who work 50+ hrs/week on average, while my colleague works 40 hrs/week on paper (including office chat and social hours). My English is imperfect but surely more advanced than hers. Based on these simple facts, one would believe that I would be a winner when it comes to better livings measured by location and commute time. Reality is that she lives in a 2 BR apt in downtown manhattan thanks to the low income housing projects, whereas I had to settle in a dim looking inconvenient neighborhood in bklyn that adds 12.5 extra hrs/week commuting time to my already extended working period. Because of her income status, her children went to colleges with free or deeply discounted tuitions, whereas I have to start saving for my kid's college from now on because I know that my income will be marginally exceeding the income limit for tuition compensation. Even after both of her children graduated college and being their own, she got to cling on to her subsidized 2 br apt where her children could live at home for free while they make decent money.

So yes, from my own experience, I figured out the welfare system in NYC is poorly designed in such a way that I and some other working middle class work hard only to make life easier for those less qualified and under skilled individuals. This is not the model welfare system that I learned in the text book so I hesitate or refuse to endorse it anymore. Does that make me a republican or a conservative individual? I do not think so because I still believe in a civilized society where everyone should look after everyone else in a fairer way than what how it is now in NYC welfare system.
so if you have one if the mist advanced degrees on planet earth why are you jealous of someone living in the projects? And perhaps you should either quit your Job and go on welfare since its so much better than what you have now our maybe you should be looking for a better job that will help you afford living in the city. My old job when I worked in Goldman Sachs an analysts made enough to live in the city the department I was in everyone lived in Brooklyn or queens me I live in Staten island.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
I think it is really just the waterfront locations that us middle and working class folks are so jealous of. All along the east river in Manhattan, Brooklyn and Queens has become financially out of reach for many hard working families, yet not for those on public assistance.
Go on public assistance than and have a good time just try not to mind the paper thin walls, the mice/rats and the roaches the constantly broken elevators and of course the police hanging out there all the time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2014, 03:15 PM

5,099 posts, read 4,956,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
No, you were the one who put your personal business and that of a woman you knew on the forum. I replied accordingly. No one on this forum can do anything about the fact she has a deal you apparently cannot get.
O,k, another ineffective way of discussing matters is that you take examples out of context . Reread my post before rushing to commenting.

Old 11-30-2014, 05:05 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,790,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchy93 View Post
Yes, online barking is primarily a republican/conservative thing. Again, I witness the same exact trend on french medias all the time...
I'm not too sure if I can completely agree with your statement that online barking is primarily a republican/conservative thing. If you really look close at the posters on here I think it's pretty well represented between liberals and conservatives.

Now, as far as "barking" from the right, you may be absolutely correct! Lets face it, those in the blue hats are "the good news" guys, they're always telling you what your going to get for free. Those in red, the conservatives, always make the mistake of telling people that truthfully, there really is nothing for free. Someone, somewhere is paying for all this stuff. Hence, the barking.

I can't really comment about the French media because I know nothing of it. But, if the video I attached below is even partially correct I think I can understand their concern.

www.cbn.com/tv/3254023064001

Old 11-30-2014, 06:12 PM

19,026 posts, read 13,932,533 times
Someone left me this reputation comment regarding a post in this thread:

"You need help, seriously."

Thank you! I never figured I get compliments from liberals.

Old 11-30-2014, 06:48 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,306,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadSpeak View Post
Go on public assistance than and have a good time just try not to mind the paper thin walls, the mice/rats and the roaches the constantly broken elevators and of course the police hanging out there all the time
Better yet, they should move all of them out to either Brownsville, ENY or South Jamaica and demolish the buildings and redevelop market rate apartments on the land. Let them have the long commutes to their unproductive jobs.

Old 11-30-2014, 07:07 PM

237 posts, read 482,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
Where in NYC??? You think the folks in Middle Village share the same idea of Park Slope? You think Upper West Side shares the same thoughts as the folks in Woodlawn or Totenville? New Yorkers are not monolithic.
You're not wrong, but NYC as a whole is extremely democratic. In 2012 the results were as follows:

Bronx: 91% Obama
Manhattan: 84% Obama
Brooklyn: 81% Obama
Queens: 78% Obama

The only borough that didn't lean dark blue was Staten Island, which was split at 49% for both Obama and Romney. But the splits for the other four boroughs are a pretty huge lean towards democrats. So my point is - yes, there are obviously Republicans in NYC, but generally you're much more likely to find people who are democrats, moreso than nearly everywhere else in the country.

Old 11-30-2014, 10:59 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Better yet, they should move all of them out to either Brownsville, ENY or South Jamaica and demolish the buildings and redevelop market rate apartments on the land. Let them have the long commutes to their unproductive jobs.
The city is already pushing out the poor to parts of the outer boroughs not considered valuable. But lately it's been areas that have no train service or little train service. Like East Elmhurst, Elmhurst away from the Queens Blvd trains, certain other formerly suburban parts of the North Bronx and Eastern Queens. Brownsville and ENY wouldn't be able to contain all of the NYCHA residents moved out of Manhattan.

Old 12-01-2014, 06:23 AM

2,228 posts, read 3,687,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rare727 View Post
You're not wrong, but NYC as a whole is extremely democratic. In 2012 the results were as follows:

Bronx: 91% Obama
Manhattan: 84% Obama
Brooklyn: 81% Obama
Queens: 78% Obama

The only borough that didn't lean dark blue was Staten Island, which was split at 49% for both Obama and Romney. But the splits for the other four boroughs are a pretty huge lean towards democrats. So my point is - yes, there are obviously Republicans in NYC, but generally you're much more likely to find people who are democrats, moreso than nearly everywhere else in the country.
Funny, Does SI have the least amount of blacks out of the 5 Counties? The Bronx is 89 or 90% Black or Hispanic. They are voting all the way for Obama. Brooklyn has the largest black population of the 5 counties. The other white parts such as Park Slope are an extension of the Upper West side. Large sections of Brooklyn are no longer inhabited by your native New Yorkers. I would compare and contrast between lets say Bath Beach/Dyker Heights and Boreum Hill. The one boro that has shifted big time is Queens. In 1990 I believe Queens was like what Nassau County is today. Tons of legal/illegal immigrants who no doubt will vote blue. Southern Queens which has been black for years, will always vote black. It was the same way when Dinkins ran vs Rudy in the two elections. BTW if the white population voted the same way as blacks Obama is never elected once.

Old 12-01-2014, 09:01 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,306,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
The city is already pushing out the poor to parts of the outer boroughs not considered valuable. But lately it's been areas that have no train service or little train service. Like East Elmhurst, Elmhurst away from the Queens Blvd trains, certain other formerly suburban parts of the North Bronx and Eastern Queens. Brownsville and ENY wouldn't be able to contain all of the NYCHA residents moved out of Manhattan.
Yet there are still many housing projects scattered all along the east river located in valuable space. Only thing holding these areas back from their full potential is that there are so many housing projects. From the Manhattan Bridge to Broadway Triangle, from Two Bridges to Ave D, from Queens Plaza up to Astoria Cove. All the PJs remain and are a sore.

Old 12-01-2014, 10:04 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Yet there are still many housing projects scattered all along the east river located in valuable space. Only thing holding these areas back from their full potential is that there are so many housing projects. From the Manhattan Bridge to Broadway Triangle, from Two Bridges to Ave D, from Queens Plaza up to Astoria Cove. All the PJs remain and are a sore.
Indeed, and the city will likely let them stay there until they fall into complete disrepair. Then they can get funds from the federal government to demolish and relocate people to the areas you suggest (bad parts of Brooklyn, among other areas).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City