Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 09:07 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,942,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Another person who does not live here running their mouth about something they know nothing about.

1 - New York City is *more* than just Manhattan below Harlem

2 - Even for those living in Manhattan there are a host of reasons why they would own and or use a motor vehicle.

Yes, your average Manhattan resident probably does not even have a drivers license much less own/rent a vehicle. However plenty do as evidenced by how difficult it is to find parking. This from someone who just spent >40 minutes waiting for a spot to open up on the block.
Some folks just dont want to deal with public transportation..crammed like sardines during rush hour, long waits for buses/trains at nights and weekends, waiting in the cold during the winter, risk of getting sick with passengers, pickpockets, pushed off the platforms, terrorist attacks..so many negatives aside from the cost savings assuming you live near a train. A car saves me from these negatives as well commuting time since I live near a local train only. And if you want to travel from Queens to Brooklyn, have fun with the train and bus!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2014, 11:46 AM

2,871 posts, read 4,791,394 times
I finally had enough and dumped my car four years ago in 2010. Parking here in Bay Ridge can be extremely challenging especially at certain times in the evening. Now, if we go out of town for a few days we just rent a car.

Old 11-26-2014, 11:40 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,126,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Another person who does not live here running their mouth about something they know nothing about.

1 - New York City is *more* than just Manhattan below Harlem

2 - Even for those living in Manhattan there are a host of reasons why they would own and or use a motor vehicle.

Yes, your average Manhattan resident probably does not even have a drivers license much less own/rent a vehicle. However plenty do as evidenced by how difficult it is to find parking. This from someone who just spent >40 minutes waiting for a spot to open up on the block.
Exactly. Many reverse commuters need a car to get to work in a reasonable amount of time. Two of my coworkers live in Upper Manhattan and have to get to Staten Island by 7AM. To get here by public transit would take 2 hours at least. By car, they can cut that down to 45 minutes or less.

Old 11-27-2014, 12:38 AM

6,205 posts, read 7,457,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolNerd View Post
Housing is already over expensive and parking is over expensive. Then you have to spend way too much time barely moving in traffic, while you watch many people walk by, so walking is actually faster than driving there. Also you have the amazing subway (transit, not the reataurant, although you probably have that too lol) that's probably much cheaper than buying a car, and paying for gas, insurance, and all that other stuff. The one exception I'd say you should have a car is if your job requires you to have a personal vehicle. I couldn't stand long lines in lunch when I was in school, driving in New York City? I don't have that kind of patience myself! I'd ride the subway and walk for sure.
Why would anyone living in NYC own a car?
That's simple: because they want to...
Even regular folks want to get away from time to time. Away of this crazy place.

Old 11-27-2014, 05:11 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,060,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire_Springs View Post
Clearly, there are a number of New Yorkers w/ money to burn.

At first glance I thought that was MY post...
(I repped you.)

Old 11-27-2014, 08:06 AM

43,630 posts, read 44,355,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolNerd View Post
Housing is already over expensive and parking is over expensive. Then you have to spend way too much time barely moving in traffic, while you watch many people walk by, so walking is actually faster than driving there. Also you have the amazing subway (transit, not the reataurant, although you probably have that too lol) that's probably much cheaper than buying a car, and paying for gas, insurance, and all that other stuff. The one exception I'd say you should have a car is if your job requires you to have a personal vehicle. I couldn't stand long lines in lunch when I was in school, driving in New York City? I don't have that kind of patience myself! I'd ride the subway and walk for sure.
There are plenty of areas in Queens that are not covered by the subway. Also some NYers have places they need to go for work or recreation outside of the 5 boroughs and therefore need a car to get there.

Old 11-27-2014, 03:21 PM

1,248 posts, read 1,382,939 times
Subway smells like urine. Everybody hates it. Also the fair it too high as well. Having a car just means that somebody has to move it or you have walk down further. A person could park the car far away and just walk down like the metro. Remember this is just not NYC this is any state that is undergoing the horror of Manhattanization. You think that is bad imagine parking your car on an hillside only for the breaks to fail.

Old 11-28-2014, 06:16 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,352,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
what stinks is when the city suddenly decides it wants to designate a few spots on a free street a no parking zone. this has happened a few times

They have been doing this non-stop in my area in the past year and parking is already tough here. Someone put up a sign at one of these locations that essentially said, "BEWARE: NYC DOT HAS DECIDED TO MAKE THIS A NO PARKING ZONE WITHOUT WARNING."

Now, OP troll, I will continue to own a car unless you provide me a better way to get to my job that is NOT in the city.

Old 11-28-2014, 09:14 AM

3,244 posts, read 5,239,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
train 2 or more hours to work, or ... drive in 25 minutes.
Do you have guaranteed parking? Free?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I live in Brooklyn, we have a pick-up and sedan.
How many parking spaces?
http://ct.weirdnutdaily.com/ol/wn/sw/i50/5/7/15/f_8b6d54c666.jpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyccs View Post
so many negatives aside from the cost savings ... And if you want to travel from Queens to Brooklyn, have fun with the train and bus!
Atypical commutes & journeys challenge a mass transit system.
Any green cab users here? Reviews?
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._Boro_Taxi.jpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
reverse commuters need a car ... Two of my coworkers live in Upper Manhattan and have to get to Staten Island by 7AM. ...public transit ... 2 hours at least. By car, ... 45 minutes
Do they at least car pool with each other?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RegalSin View Post
the fair it too high ... parking your car on an hillside only for the breaks to fail.
fare ... brakes ...

Last edited by bigjake54; 11-28-2014 at 09:28 AM..

Old 11-28-2014, 11:00 AM

19,033 posts, read 13,944,967 times
Free parking at work, free parking at home. I drive and always will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: