U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2014, 01:48 PM

36 posts, read 39,439 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I'd like to get your suggestions on places to live. I just moved into the city for a new job and I'm looking for a place to live. I've done some research and now I'm trying to decide whether to live in the city or in queens.

My work is 3 minute walk from Grand Central station in Manhattan.

It seems like I can get a small studio (1500 ~ 1700 per month) in upper east side, see example below
studio rental at 1st ave, Midtown East, posted by Kellyn Carrierfenster on 11/20/2014 | Naked Apartments

OR, I can get a spacious studio or even 1 bedroom in Astoria or Sunnyside

Living in the city would be nice but amenities such as food will be expensive - whereas living in Queens will have its pros and cons (more relaxing environment and cheap food, but its not manhattan)

As a young professional who just moved into new york (27 years old, 85k annual income), where would you guys recommend me to live?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2014, 02:08 PM

4,841 posts, read 7,858,770 times
Sunnyside is easily the most affordable of the 3. If you're looking for a neighborhood that does a good job of representing Queens in general, I highly recommend it.

Of course, all 3 areas are very good.

Old 11-29-2014, 08:19 PM

499 posts, read 367,190 times
the 7 train is reliable and takes you straight to Grand Central.

So I'd recommend Sunnyside or Jackson Heights.

JH has many food options, sunnyside more bars.

for 1,700 you can get a nice, large 1 bed or jr 4 in JH.

Old 11-29-2014, 08:22 PM

5,324 posts, read 4,004,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameskoo87 View Post
Hi All,

I'd like to get your suggestions on places to live. I just moved into the city for a new job and I'm looking for a place to live. I've done some research and now I'm trying to decide whether to live in the city or in queens.

My work is 3 minute walk from Grand Central station in Manhattan.

It seems like I can get a small studio (1500 ~ 1700 per month) in upper east side, see example below
studio rental at 1st ave, Midtown East, posted by Kellyn Carrierfenster on 11/20/2014 | Naked Apartments

OR, I can get a spacious studio or even 1 bedroom in Astoria or Sunnyside

Living in the city would be nice but amenities such as food will be expensive - whereas living in Queens will have its pros and cons (more relaxing environment and cheap food, but its not manhattan)

As a young professional who just moved into new york (27 years old, 85k annual income), where would you guys recommend me to live?

Thanks!
Take a studio in Astoria or Sunnyside and save what you would have paid in rent in the city for retirement.

Old 11-30-2014, 01:03 AM

913 posts, read 1,688,888 times
All the places you mentioned are great. Of course, you save more by being in Astoria or Sunnyside. But in all honesty, those places are so trendy now that the prices are getting close to Manhattan prices. You can get a nice studio or junior 1 bedroom anywhere on the east side, but they , most likely will be walk ups in old buildings with no elevator. The same for Sunnyside and Astoria. I honestly don't get the big hoopla over Astoria and I surely didn't after that bed bug epidemic they had this summer.

Astoria is very crowded but the area is built up and there are tons of stores. Sunnyside is just like Astoria except its less crowded. But the thing to keep in mind is that you want to be in a building with young working professionals such as yourself. There's a lot of tenants who have lived in those buildings for 40 years and pay under $500.00 a month. Since you're renting now, you'd be paying the going rate which is 1,400.00 to 1,600.00. You want to be in a building with professionals and not low lives who can only afford 500.00 a month. I've been there and you can cut the class tension with a butter knife. Its only going to cause tension when people pay 3 times less than what you do for the exact same apartment.

the 7 train is reliable and if you pick Sunnyside, you won't have to transfer. Have you thought of
Long Island City?

make sure to ask all the important questions:
1. Is it rent stabilized?
2. Is the lease 1 or 2 years?
3. Has the unit or building ever had a history of bed bugs?
4. If there is ever a bed bug issue, is the landlord going to pay for the exterminator fee since its a NYC law?

good luck.

Oh and P.S. - if the management company managing the building is First Service Residential - RUN!!!!!!!! They are the most LOW class and unprofessional management company ever!!

Old 11-30-2014, 06:18 AM

20,129 posts, read 26,407,309 times
Quote:

the 7 train is reliable and takes you straight to Grand Central.
Unless it is a weekend when it almost NEVER runs.

I'd look at all three areas giving some preference to the UES because of the ease of getting to work.

Try him:
Eric Goodman Realty Corp.
and click LISTINGS.

But usually I recommend people walk the side streets back and forth between 80th and 95th and Between First and Third Aves. and take agents names and ring supers' bells and then make a lot of phone calls.

Old 11-30-2014, 08:35 AM

499 posts, read 367,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Unless it is a weekend when it almost NEVER runs.

I'd look at all three areas giving some preference to the UES because of the ease of getting to work.

Try him:
Eric Goodman Realty Corp.
and click LISTINGS.

But usually I recommend people walk the side streets back and forth between 80th and 95th and Between First and Third Aves. and take agents names and ring supers' bells and then make a lot of phone calls.
It all comes down to whether you want space or manhattan location. $1,700 is the very low end for studios on the UES. You're likely looking at a 300 sq ft walkup with a tiny kitchen.

Keep in mind with manhattan comes higher local prices on just about everything.

Personally I like JH because you also have the E & F trains available. So you're always within 30 min of the city. And it's just generally much cheaper for day to day expenses.

Old 12-02-2014, 03:55 PM

2,054 posts, read 983,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by q41apartments View Post
All the places you mentioned are great. Of course, you save more by being in Astoria or Sunnyside. But in all honesty, those places are so trendy now that the prices are getting close to Manhattan prices. You can get a nice studio or junior 1 bedroom anywhere on the east side, but they , most likely will be walk ups in old buildings with no elevator. The same for Sunnyside and Astoria. I honestly don't get the big hoopla over Astoria and I surely didn't after that bed bug epidemic they had this summer.

Astoria is very crowded but the area is built up and there are tons of stores. Sunnyside is just like Astoria except its less crowded. But the thing to keep in mind is that you want to be in a building with young working professionals such as yourself. There's a lot of tenants who have lived in those buildings for 40 years and pay under $500.00 a month. Since you're renting now, you'd be paying the going rate which is 1,400.00 to 1,600.00. You want to be in a building with professionals and not low lives who can only afford 500.00 a month. I've been there and you can cut the class tension with a butter knife. Its only going to cause tension when people pay 3 times less than what you do for the exact same apartment.

the 7 train is reliable and if you pick Sunnyside, you won't have to transfer. Have you thought of
Long Island City?

make sure to ask all the important questions:
1. Is it rent stabilized?
2. Is the lease 1 or 2 years?
3. Has the unit or building ever had a history of bed bugs?
4. If there is ever a bed bug issue, is the landlord going to pay for the exterminator fee since its a NYC law?

good luck.

Oh and P.S. - if the management company managing the building is First Service Residential - RUN!!!!!!!! They are the most LOW class and unprofessional management company ever!!

By low lives, do you mean people who have lived in the area for over 40 years (even when the neighborhood wasn't the best), worked and raised families there and now are trying to live out their retirement years in their neighborhood? Low lives like my sisters recently deceased elderly neighbor (rest in peace, T) who did all her own repairs and actually fixed up her apartment so beautifully that the landlords used to show it off as a model apartment in the building? Her rent was $700; now the apartment is going for $1800. There are some people in the neighborhood who pay low rents because they have lived in the area for years and not because they are low lives- these are seniors and other residents who can't even afford to apply to the 'affordable' Hunters Point South development because they make too money for the low income apartments.

OP, you should make a budget and decide what is important to you. Manhattan is expensive and you need to know how far your salary will go (remember you have to pay for all sorts of things besides rent). If you can try to visit each neighborhood to get a feel for the place; only you can tell if you would be comfortable living there.

Old 12-02-2014, 04:17 PM

281 posts, read 283,559 times
Another thing to watch out for is the construction of the Second Avenue line on the Upper East Side. Landlords have been known to price apartments at a steal because their places are either right on top of the construction or will be in the next two years. If you are looking at properties by the construction site, make sure you visit while construction is going on and make sure it's something you will be able to tolerate if, for example, you have a non-standard work schedule requiring you to sleep during the day or you want to open your window if the apartment's too hot. The sound of boring equipment creating a tunnel could be much louder than you think.

And on that note, if you're looking at Sunnyside, PLEASE make sure you check the 7 Train construction schedules for the next month to make sure you are really okay with the added commute time. And while you're at it, read some articles in the local paper about previous construction-related commute hardships to get a feel for what's historically been going on, as the extension has been under construction for YEARS. While most construction happens on the weekends, that won't help you if you need to get to the city for work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or