Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 01:34 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,315,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
Here's one thing you can't buy in NYC... a Gun.
For that, it's unmatched.
Nonsense, there is still a large supply. And tax free as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2014, 01:38 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,315,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineBlue View Post
If you like wasting money needlessly, I've got this bridge in Brooklyn that you might be interested in
If I bought that bridge, first thing I'd do is setup small kiosks to rent out to vendors. Lots of foot traffic. Maybe charge a fee to tourists. I think it could be a profitable venture. Of course the city and its taxpayers would still have to chip in for the maintenance since I wouldn't be adding tollbooths.

Last edited by ShirlMastic Beach; 12-03-2014 at 01:47 AM..

Old 12-03-2014, 04:36 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,085,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
I've shop there before. Its a generic mall to me...another Paramus or Short Hills mall.
how is it a mall?? it's a shopping strip similar to 5th Avenue or SoHo East Broadway.

Old 12-03-2014, 05:48 AM

39 posts, read 44,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
and NYC's shopping scene is absolutely matched by many cities far smaller than it.
That is simply not true. No Tom Ford. No Turnbull & Asser. No Smythson of Bond Street.

I could go on and on with listing high-end stores you can only find in New York City (if confined to America, and if not, only London stands a puncher's chance at NYC)

Old 12-03-2014, 09:21 AM

27,566 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lion. View Post
That is simply not true. No Tom Ford. No Turnbull & Asser. No Smythson of Bond Street.
For the sake of accuracy, all of these have web sites for anyone who can afford to shop there.

TOM FORD Online Store

Turnbull & Asser | Turnbull & Asser

Smythson.com

Not all of us are of celebrity status though (yet ). :-)

Old 12-03-2014, 09:47 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Quote:
We have everything.

Macys, Barneys, Bloomingdales, Saks Fifth Avenue, Lord & Taylor, Bergdorf Goodman, et al!

And that's not including places like Cartier, Brioni, Bulgari, Ferragamo, et al on 5th!

And we are getting a Nordstrom in 2018. Neiman Marcus is opening its first Manhattan store within the next 3-5 years, as well!

Retailers recognize that this is the world capital!

And oh, yeah, we have FAO Schwarz, Toys R Us, and are in the process of getting a Hamleys!

And we have M&Ms World, The Disney Store, and The Hershey's Store!

Only in the world capital!
The lamest post I ever read, Disney store is at almost every mall in America. Last I checked there are more Toysrus in NJ and CT than in NYC.

Who cares about M&M and Hershey's store, it's for tourists and marketing.

Only tourists and rich people shop at those places you mentioned. Who wants to pay 8.6% sales tax.

Most NYers shop online or go to NJ for the same stores you mentioned and less sales tax.

Old 12-03-2014, 09:52 AM

39 posts, read 44,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
For the sake of accuracy, all of these have web sites for anyone who can afford to shop there.

TOM FORD Online Store

Turnbull & Asser | Turnbull & Asser

Smythson.com

Not all of us are of celebrity status though (yet ). :-)
You have not been paying attention. High-end designers like Tom Ford do not sell their full line online.

Please read the entire thread before posting.

Old 12-03-2014, 11:47 AM

3,951 posts, read 5,076,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
The lamest post I ever read, Disney store is at almost every mall in America. Last I checked there are more Toysrus in NJ and CT than in NYC.

Only tourists and rich people shop at those places you mentioned. Who wants to pay 8.6% sales tax.

Most NYers shop online or go to NJ for the same stores you mentioned and less sales tax.
Don't bother with logic. You'll just be retorted with more high end stores these clowns could only dream of showing off .

Old 12-03-2014, 11:56 AM

3,951 posts, read 5,076,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post

Don't bother with logic. You'll just be retorted with more high end stores these clowns could only dream of showing off .

Old 12-04-2014, 03:26 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,209,468 times
Quote:

I could go on and on with listing high-end stores you can only find in New York City (if confined to America, and if not, only London stands a puncher's chance at NYC)
Please. LA, Miami, and Chicago are also all shopping meccas probably at the same level or close to it! And besides, most of those high-end stores are chains and too expensive for the majority of people to shop at!

As someone said, NYC was the shopping capital before it became too commercialized, before all the big chain stores closed down the small, charming mom n pop shops. Because there's nothing but these chains, it's nothing special--and quite frankly, overpriced and overrated just for that reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City