U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 12:53 PM

14,804 posts, read 17,410,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
In the past, household servants (maids, cooks, nannies) lived in the same home as their employers. In NYC, many are still only a $2.50 fare away.
This is very true. In buildings buildings one the Uws on West end Avenue, Park Avenue and in Midtown by central central Park South. Plenty of prewar buildings buildings have maid quarters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2014, 01:25 PM

9,475 posts, read 13,167,899 times
I was unclear. I didn't mean servants literally, although they are included. I mean public servants such as teachers, firemen and policemen, and government workers, etc., in other words people whose jobs are really the ones that make the world go 'round.

Old 11-30-2014, 01:27 PM

1,746 posts, read 3,422,071 times
What makes me the most irritated is the 421a tax abatement that owners at one 57 get. Whenever we discuss any type of affordable housing on this forum, the libertarians come out to bash it as "welfare" -- yet they refuse to use that label to describe an even more generous policy for the wealthy. Somehow people living in an affordable apartment are far more of a burden to society than a single wealthy homeowner getting a $210,000 tax break every year.

Old 11-30-2014, 01:51 PM

786 posts, read 791,356 times
Why not the ultra rich that dont live in the city full time

Old 11-30-2014, 02:31 PM

23,254 posts, read 16,063,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
The people with money are complaining about people who have way more money than them. What gives? I guess having a couple of millions vs someone who has billions are way two different life styles. Kind of like buying a first class business ticket vs owning a private Learjet.
Not really. I can't ever imagine complaining about someone who has billions. If I wanted that kind of money I need to be a CEO, and I did not chose that career path so why would I complain?

Old 11-30-2014, 02:35 PM

9,956 posts, read 8,445,983 times
The reason NYC has a housing crisis is because NYC has far to many restrictions and regulations on housing. Between zoning, rent regulation, and landmarking, the city has made it much too difficult and expensive to create new housing. Given demand for housing at all levels that outstrips supply, of course most of the housing created is being built for the higher end markets. But this is a tiny percentage of the over market (by unit count.) If the city got it's head out of its a$$ and got rid of many of the restrictions that retard the creation of housing, the high end market would get satisfied, and you start seeing housing being build for the markets down the price spectrum from there.

Old 11-30-2014, 02:53 PM

I don't care how rich someone is. I just think that one way or another, someone who works hard but earns only around 40K give or take ought to have available to them a place to live in the city that they can afford. It those kind of tax breaks are okay for the mega wealthy when many of them don't even live in NYC, then what's good for the goose is good for the gander and everyone ought to benefit.

Old 11-30-2014, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
I don't care how rich someone is. I just think that one way or another, someone who works hard but earns only around 40K give or take ought to have available to them a place to live in the city that they can afford. It those kind of tax breaks are okay for the mega wealthy when many of them don't even live in NYC, then what's good for the goose is good for the gander and everyone ought to benefit.
Well, apparently many of those people making 40k are not needed by the city and therefore expendable. But making 40k, you can find places to live in Staten Island, the North Bronx, Eastern Queens, and South Brooklyn.

But that isn't the issue. People want to live in Manhattan for free, in short, have a convenient location but not pay for it. It isn't someone's god given right to live in Manhattan. You will live where you can afford to live.

Old 11-30-2014, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
The reason NYC has a housing crisis is because NYC has far to many restrictions and regulations on housing. Between zoning, rent regulation, and landmarking, the city has made it much too difficult and expensive to create new housing. Given demand for housing at all levels that outstrips supply, of course most of the housing created is being built for the higher end markets. But this is a tiny percentage of the over market (by unit count.) If the city got it's head out of its a$$ and got rid of many of the restrictions that retard the creation of housing, the high end market would get satisfied, and you start seeing housing being build for the markets down the price spectrum from there.
Why on earth would the city not be happy with the current high price of housing in NYC? Those real estate taxes flow straight into city coffers. The status quo suits their interest.

Old 11-30-2014, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Well, apparently many of those people making 40k are not needed by the city and therefore expendable. But making 40k, you can find places to live in Staten Island, the North Bronx, Eastern Queens, and South Brooklyn.

But that isn't the issue. People want to live in Manhattan for free, in short, have a convenient location but not pay for it. It isn't someone's god given right to live in Manhattan. You will live where you can afford to live.
Paying the appropriate percentage of 40K per year to rent an apartment or buy a little house isn't living for free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City