Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 03:20 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,418,501 times

Advertisements

If that's the case, why is the economy booming in low cost-of-living, generally Republican states such as Texas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Dude, you've got to be trolling.

Both men were pro business and as pro business as it is possible to be. It's really all about money in the end.

The reason why you find yourself marginalized (and thus dreaming of moving to NC, AZ,etc) in a city catered to transplants (actually not just them, towards more affluent people in general) and that cares nothing about a NYC born BronxGuyanese is due to the policies of Giuliani and Bloomberg. They are continuing under de Blasio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2014, 03:39 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,669,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reppin_the_847 View Post
If that's the case, why is the economy booming in low cost-of-living, generally Republican states such as Texas?
If I remember correctly, the supposed "boom" in Texas is a misleading jump of minimum wage part-time jobs that no one can live on.

Old 12-10-2014, 03:56 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reppin_the_847 View Post
Great, now that de Blasio is starting to sell the NYCHA housing projects to developers (six of them so far) they can accomodate all the poor people that NYC is getting rid of, if things are so peachy.

Old 12-11-2014, 12:59 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
No surprise there.

By the way, interesting that Moyers himself seems to have been squeezed out of his better time slots.
He sure has. Nonetheless he brings on some interesting topics about classims, inequality. Plutocracy and so on. During his youth he remembered men such as FDR and Laguardia and other populist politicians.

Old 12-14-2014, 11:04 AM

725 posts, read 805,536 times
I never understand why people use the world inequality when nothing on earth is equal to another thing. People who talk about inequality talk in a way that makes it seem unnormal. That's absurd. People who earn and have more are going to live better than those who earn and have less. So everything will always be unequal. Millions are richer than me. It doesn't worry me. I focus on raising myself up and one day getting to that higher position but definitely not in NY because of the ridiculous taxes and nanny and police state.

Old 12-14-2014, 11:10 AM

15,842 posts, read 14,476,031 times
^
It's a means to an end. Use class warfare to achieve political goals.

Old 12-14-2014, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john620 View Post
I never understand why people use the world inequality when nothing on earth is equal to another thing. People who talk about inequality talk in a way that makes it seem unnormal. That's absurd. People who earn and have more are going to live better than those who earn and have less. So everything will always be unequal. Millions are richer than me. It doesn't worry me. I focus on raising myself up and one day getting to that higher position but definitely not in NY because of the ridiculous taxes and nanny and police state.
Meaning you can't afford NYC because those with real money are not worried about taxes in NYC. They can deal with them, and they aren't bothered by the police.

Old 12-14-2014, 12:46 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,357,440 times
Different gradations of housing would be built in NYC but as someone stated earlier, NYC housing regulations and present economic conditions create disincentives for such projects.

The situation is much more complicated than either thinking it's just some consumers wanting what they can't have or that NYC is some inequality hell hole.

In any consumer market there are gradations of product. Imagine a market where only Apple manufactured computers. That doesn't make much sense ,right? Not everyone wants to or can purchase a 3k computer. Someone therefore steps in to cater to the rest of the market because there's profit to be made. If no one is stepping in to cater to "middle-class" housing in NYC, that means there are reasons for it beyond simple supply and demand.

I've lived in Brooklyn now for 30 years, and I haven't seen a single substantial middle income apartment building project. I've seen plenty of middle income condo and co-op projects but no apartment buildings. This tells me that building apartment buildings is simply not profitable or as profitable as building alternatives.

Why? I don't know but I can venture to guess.

- renter's rights are too strong and renters tend to abuse those rights

- zoning laws preclude the building of large enough apartment buildings to achieve economies of scale

*(e.g. a 6 story apt building may not be profitable but a 10 story would be. If the law only allows for 6 or 3 or 2 then everybody's **** out of luck)

- build-out costs for middle income apartment buildings are far too high due to NYC's construction unions

- middle -income homeowners in NYC would see their property values plummet if there were alternatives to housing and therefore zoning laws aren't changed

Last edited by wawaweewa; 12-14-2014 at 12:56 PM..

Old 12-14-2014, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post

I've lived in Brooklyn now for 30 years, and I haven't seen a single substantial middle income apartment building project. I've seen plenty of middle income condo and co-op projects but no apartment buildings. This tells me that building apartment buildings is simply not profitable or as profitable as building alternatives.

Why? I don't know but I can venture to guess.

- renter's rights are too strong and renters tend to abuse those rights

- zoning laws preclude the building of large enough apartment buildings to achieve economies of scale

*(e.g. a 6 story apt building may not be profitable but a 10 story would be. If the law only allows for 6 or 3 or 2 then everybody's **** out of luck)

- build-out costs for middle income apartment buildings are far too high due to NYC's construction unions

- middle -income homeowners in NYC would see their property values plummet if there were alternatives to housing and therefore zoning laws aren't changed
I think it's the matter of renter's rights being an issue. It can take months if not years to evict someone.

Zoning laws aren't the issue as the city is willing to permit the building of high rises! Luxury high rises, or middle income co-ops and condos. Luxury housing can be either condos or co-ops or rentals.

Part of this is city policy and the city is working with investors, bankers, developers. All of them deliberately wanted to attract people with money to the city and reduce the number of poor people (many so called middle class people need to wake up and smell the coffee and realize they are poor or working class if you want to be more polite). White flight has ended, and as upper middle class professionals and the wealthy want to be close to work, lower middle class people are being pushed further out to the edges of the outer boroughs or the suburbs. This is by design, it's in the city's best interest to get all the money they can from the urban core.

Old 12-14-2014, 07:32 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,357,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I think it's the matter of renter's rights being an issue. It can take months if not years to evict someone.

Zoning laws aren't the issue as the city is willing to permit the building of high rises! Luxury high rises, or middle income co-ops and condos. Luxury housing can be either condos or co-ops or rentals.

Part of this is city policy and the city is working with investors, bankers, developers. All of them deliberately wanted to attract people with money to the city and reduce the number of poor people (many so called middle class people need to wake up and smell the coffee and realize they are poor or working class if you want to be more polite). White flight has ended, and as upper middle class professionals and the wealthy want to be close to work, lower middle class people are being pushed further out to the edges of the outer boroughs or the suburbs. This is by design, it's in the city's best interest to get all the money they can from the urban core.
Zoning is an issue. Go ahead and try to build an apartment building in a residential neighborhoods full of 1,2, and 3 story homes. It ain't going to happen.

People who live in Manhattan tend to forgot that the other 4 boroughs have HUGE swaths of land that are solely populated by private homes (1 and 2 story not counting the basement). Replacing these with apartment buildings would alleviate all of the pressure but it's not going to happen.

I actually don't think that housing is as much of a problem as many believe for actually middle class earners. However, middle class in NYC (outside of Manhattan) starts at a household income of at least 75k (before taxes). There's the problem. Like you said, in NYC, many people just aren't middle class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City