U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 06:40 AM

9,482 posts, read 13,181,188 times

Advertisements

The middle class is being squeezed and the low-income population is being pushed further into squalor, he says.

Full Show: The Long, Dark Shadows of Plutocracy | Moyers & Company | BillMoyers.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2014, 07:42 AM

14,880 posts, read 17,443,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
The middle class is being squeezed and the low-income population is being pushed further into squalor, he says.

Full Show: The Long, Dark Shadows of Plutocracy | Moyers & Company | BillMoyers.com
I found Charles Dickens tale of two cifies, and Jacob Riis how the other half lives to be very vividly real in today's. NYC. Right now I'm down in NC, plenty of native New Yorkers move down here to maintain a middle class status or to become middle class. I might move into an up and coming neighborhood here by next year and abandon NYS, NYC and the Bronx all together.

But that was a rant and let me get back to the topic. This I have seen because I work in the area and my companies office is located in that area. I had an opportunity to attend a Thanksgiving day party at one57 and it is a nice view and very opulent. What I find funny is that in this video segment it's about the affluent and the rich vs the ultra rich in this part of Manhattan. People like St John guy is not part of the NYC middle class and are far disconnected and far removed from the true lives of everyday real new Yorkers. The biggest grip for the affluent and rich in that area is that they have to shell out taxes for these buildings and yet they don't live in them. Same way how the working class and middle class are at war with the affluent and gentry classes that are taking root in Brooklyn, lower Manhattan Uptown Manhattan western Queens and even in the south Bronx. The affluent and the rich in Midtown have to contend with the ultra rich who are buying properties in the the area and do don't live in them or pay taxes or even certain fees. Some folks in that area area make 12 million a year while the new camers probably make 12 million a week.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 11-30-2014 at 08:24 AM..

Old 11-30-2014, 09:32 AM

Living down here is so easy. I'm a South Carolina native. Like Moyers said, the story of gentrification - extreme in NYC's case - plays out in state after state and in city after city all over the nation, but in general it is just a lot easier down here. And now that South Carolina and North Carolina have added marriage equality to air-conditioning for an even higher quality of life, look out! But to me there's no reason the problem featured in the video can't be fixed if the right people work on it together, in NYC and everywhere else.

Old 11-30-2014, 10:10 AM

299 posts, read 491,874 times
There are only a limited number of apartments on the park. How should we dole them out -- to Bill De Blasio's friends? The vast majority of people that want to live on the park will be shut out no matter which way we arrange it.

Looking through the lens of income equality will not produce the best picture of capitalism. You need to look at something like a 737 jet. Even poor people can afford to fly across the country in relative comfort (compared to how our ancestors traveled). Or smartphones.

Poor peoples lives are getting better.

Old 11-30-2014, 10:27 AM

NYc seriously has a major class crisis. Homeless and the working poor vs working and middle class vs professional class class and affluent vs rich vs wealthy and ultra rich. NYC has a huge bottleneck of class problems that can burst any moment. What I find interesting that the people who own property overlooking the park don't need to go into central park. Park is right in their living space.

Old 11-30-2014, 10:45 AM

23,265 posts, read 16,096,003 times
It's not a bottleneck of problems. NYC confronts people with reality. Either you have the money for something or you don't. No blah, blah, blah, blah. If you can't afford something you will live where you can afford.

Now it's possible to move up socioeconomically. Difficult, and you'll have to choose wisely. But once you do have enough income and cash, you can shield yourself from rent increases by purchasing property. The problem is that NYC had an underclass that was only able to stay in the city due to government programs like rent stabilization and with these programs being undone they cannot afford the city.

Old 11-30-2014, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
It's not a bottleneck of problems. NYC confronts people with reality. Either you have the money for something or you don't. No blah, blah, blah, blah. If you can't afford something you will live where you can afford.

Now it's possible to move up socioeconomically. Difficult, and you'll have to choose wisely. But once you do have enough income and cash, you can shield yourself from rent increases by purchasing property. The problem is that NYC had an underclass that was only able to stay in the city due to government programs like rent stabilization and with these programs being undone they cannot afford the city.
The people with money are complaining about people who have way more money than them. What gives? I guess having a couple of millions vs someone who has billions are way two different life styles. Kind of like buying a first class business ticket vs owning a private Learjet.

Old 11-30-2014, 11:07 AM

6,474 posts, read 10,046,628 times
Quote:

He's right and it was 12 years of Bloomberg policies that created it.

And I'm not a Liberal. I lean more towards Moderate.

Old 11-30-2014, 12:16 PM

It really comes down to whether the served care whether their servers are able to live in the area instead of being banished to the outskirts from where they then have to come up with the funds to commute until they are sooner or later pushed still farther out from where their commuting expenses and time spent commuting will increase. Do the wealthy believe hard-working people who don't make a lot of money should be able to live in the city or don't they? If they like the idea of their servers (a vast array of server types) living in the neighborhood, they shouldn't mind a development-funding formula that allows for that.

Old 11-30-2014, 12:44 PM

3,245 posts, read 4,167,604 times
Quote:
whether their servers are able to live in the area instead of being banished to the outskirts
In the past, household servants (maids, cooks, nannies) lived in the same home as their employers. In NYC, many are still only a $2.50 fare away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City