U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 09:57 PM

6,886 posts, read 7,839,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbullnyc View Post
I grew up in bushwick projects in the 80's, it takes alot for me to think something is dangerous because of how i grew up.
But wouldn't you be honest with people looking for apartments who do not have the Bushwick experience ?

The quality-of-life issues are the biggest thing, although there are many angry people in that area and things do happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2014, 09:01 AM

1,712 posts, read 1,081,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Yes, I have frequently been to Columbia's campus and I have frequently been in West Harlem. I live in East Harlem.

The bad thing about the internet is for all I know you don't live in Harlem and you never do. City Data is full of people who post all sorts of stuff without NYC, when they do not even live here.

Please tell me what is bad about the renovated buildings near Morningside Park on 116th Street, or the new buildings built near 116th and 8th Avenue, not far from Columbia?

Then again I guess if you can't afford to live in them that's reason enough to hate them!

Harlem, I think you're just trolling when it comes to Harlem. Someone could post pictures of all the new buildings near Columbia, you would ignore this because it doesn't fit what you want to believe. Someone could post links, again you'll ignore it because it doesn't fit want you want to believe. So then you resort to personal attacks.
Harlem Resident does live in Harlem, although the nicer area in Hamilton Heights. I'm pretty sure he lives on my block.

One thing about him, he tries his hardest to scare those interested in the area. I think he's worried about his rent going up (which is a legit concern).

Old 12-03-2014, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
Harlem Resident does live in Harlem, although the nicer area in Hamilton Heights. I'm pretty sure he lives on my block.

One thing about him, he tries his hardest to scare those interested in the area. I think he's worried about his rent going up (which is a legit concern).
In fact ? We would be more worried about our investments not accruing value - that is to say, if we were worried about anything at all. I have pointed this out at least a few times now. In any case, the value is already there in this area, not sure how much additional accruing would actually take place.

Given that YOU live in the area, you should know that most of the properties on the decent stretches of Convent are owned, co-ops and townhouses. Same holds for most of the side streets, a few notable exceptions, two big buildings just south and then north of city college and so on. All are changing rapidly by the way and the buildings to the north in particular were never so bad.

One other quite astonishing thing about your post - I have pointed out many times now that I am female. How interesting that you keep assuming that I am male.

FYI: When the craziness begins to creep in there - don't bother to respond. It will just grow and it is truly uninteresting.

The troubling ignorance of that narrative is the insistence that "gentrification" in Harlem has anything at all to do with Columbia, west developments aside. And that was always a very very different area. The topic here is CENTRAL Harlem, where the people in question live, and again, nothing happening there has anything at all to do with Columbia.

Old 12-03-2014, 10:33 AM

1,712 posts, read 1,081,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
In fact ? We would be more worried about our investments not accruing value - that is to say, if we were worried about anything at all. I have pointed this out at least a few times now. In any case, the value is already there in this area, not sure how much additional accruing would actually take place.

Given that YOU live in the area, you should know that most of the properties on the decent stretches of Convent are owned, co-ops and townhouses. Same holds for most of the side streets, a few notable exceptions, two big buildings just south and then north of city college and so on. All are changing rapidly by the way and the buildings to the north in particular were never so bad.

One other quite astonishing thing about your post - I have pointed out many times now that I am female. How interesting that you keep assuming that I am male.

FYI: When the craziness begins to creep in there - don't bother to respond. It will just grow and it is truly uninteresting.

The troubling ignorance of that narrative is the insistence that "gentrification" in Harlem has anything at all to do with Columbia, west developments aside. And that was always a very very different area. The topic here is CENTRAL Harlem, where the people in question live, and again, nothing happening there has anything at all to do with Columbia.
It's a girl! Good to know.

I do have to mention that I have met a number of new transplants in our area that attend or work at Columbia. The Columbia expansion will only increase the numbers.

Old 12-03-2014, 10:37 AM
Status: "I have "a thing" for duplex apartments" (set 1 day ago)

19,306 posts, read 32,757,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
The areas closest to Columbia are the least gentrified.
I can see your point - Grant, Manhattanville. Amsterdam from 125th to 135th is kinda slummy. Although back in the day I used to spend a lot of time in Grant, I've only been in 2 buildings, but both were clean and quiet. I actually got cursed out by somebody one time for smoking a cigarette in the lobby waiting for the elevator - I would never think that would happen to me in a housing project lol.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-03-2014, 11:59 AM

23,265 posts, read 16,104,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I can see your point - Grant, Manhattanville. Amsterdam from 125th to 135th is kinda slummy. Although back in the day I used to spend a lot of time in Grant, I've only been in 2 buildings, but both were clean and quiet. I actually got cursed out by somebody one time for smoking a cigarette in the lobby waiting for the elevator - I would never think that would happen to me in a housing project lol.
Yes, that area is terrible. That's on off the campus.

East of the Campus in the 110s Harlem is pretty nice and I have no idea why Harlem Resident pretends that all the new buildings there haven't gone up or that all the gut renovations there haven't taken place.

If you speak the area North of Manhattanville that is slummy, a huge part of it is a Columbia construction site at Columbia recently took over 16 acres. They tore down a lot of stuff and are building new parts of the campus there. I'm not sure why a certain someone wants to ignore that as well, but it is surely happening.

Old 12-03-2014, 12:04 PM

23,265 posts, read 16,104,540 times
Quote:

I do have to mention that I have met a number of new transplants in our area that attend or work at Columbia. The Columbia expansion will only increase the numbers.
Indeed, the Columbia expansion is something else Harlem Resident tries to ignore. But everyone knows it's happening.

Two years ago, there were people in complete denial on this forum about gentrification in Bedstuy and Bushwick. They were even trying to scare newcomers away. They gave up after seeing astronomical increases in the sales price of buildings in both neighborhoods. It's really undeniable that the rapid pace of gentrification and the major investments that have come to these parts of Brooklyn and Upper Manhattan (Pathmark's site on 125 and Lexington sold for 39 million dollars). Now as I noted that area still is ghetto, but as the area gets bought out, they will remove the social service housing (Columbia itself bought out and demolished SROs) and the area will be pretty different.

Old 12-03-2014, 04:28 PM

Quote:

In OUR area - yes. This is a different area than the one under discussion. I think it will be a long time before there is any significant Columbia presence east of the park. Grad students are better off in university housing, but I think they will be here and on the Terrace in growing numbers. I could even posit guesses, and educated ones, about which buildings on the Terrace and upper Morningside will change overnight. Lower Morningside is dominated by co-ops and was never bad - mostly people coming to the park from ACP and Lenox and some side streets.

Random comment, everyone is wondering what retail will occupy the street-levels of the new Columbia buildings.

Old 12-03-2014, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Indeed, the Columbia expansion is something else Harlem Resident tries to ignore. But everyone knows it's happening.
Too funny. Do you even know where that is happening.

I am part of that community, have been for years, and I was on committees about the expansion, probably because I am known to be "sympathetic" to different causes. Suffice to say that I know a few things about the expansion. Explaining to disgruntled subsidized residents at length how this could benefit them does lend a certain expertise after time.

And I can only repeat. Nobody - as in, not one person - who owns property in this area is against gentrification. I know several working-class families who own family townhouses off Convent and they are very happy about it.

This is usually what I mean about people not being very smart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or