U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 04:36 PM

149 posts, read 220,365 times

Advertisements

Just spent thanksgiving weekend with my 22 year old daughter who moved to Harlem, near Frederick Douglass and 132 street. I did not like it. Felt unsafe walking around. I'm from suburbia, in a different state, so not sure if I'm over reacting as a parent. Daughters friend and roommate, who went to college in NYC, says its " fine". But, I'm seriously worried. Daughter just got there and is trying to give it a chance since lease is signed. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2014, 04:55 PM

6,886 posts, read 7,836,615 times
The 'hood.

It has improved over the last two or three years but lots of social service housing remains. Some blocks are entirely social service housing.

There is a big luxury-esque building at FDB and 135th.

Not to worry, others (with actual experience hovering between zero and a bit) will emerge shortly to tell you how wonderful it is.

Hope she is paying the legal rent, and that she did not rent in the re-hab building, which I thought was hubristically over-priced for the area.

Random comment, if you visit the Abyssinian restaurant just off FDB on 135th, be sure that you leave at least three hours given the service.

Old 11-30-2014, 06:51 PM

1,271 posts, read 2,557,327 times
It's fine. More importantly, back out and let your daughter make her own decisions.

Old 11-30-2014, 09:04 PM

2,257 posts, read 2,629,464 times
Its really not that bad unless your experience has been never ever been dealing with black/hispanic people. Lots of affordable rents still in that area and lots of new transplants (mostly whites) have been moving in the past 5yrs, ive put at least 14 people in the past 2yrs ranging from 18yrs-37yr (whites) from 123st-145st.

Old 11-30-2014, 09:35 PM

2,139 posts, read 2,162,343 times
It's a hood straight up. Don't let the gentrifiers tell you otherwise. Great food though if you can find the hole in the wall soul food joints....if they still exist.

Old 12-01-2014, 08:16 AM

Thank you for the replies. I guess we'll take it day by day... With lots of Uber cars and cabs.

Old 12-01-2014, 08:31 AM

996 posts, read 946,190 times
Seven years ago, my son moved to 125th and St. Nicholas with 2 female roommates, all recent college graduates who led different lives and ran on their own schedules. While they saw some things that surprised them on 125th St., it was a positive year for all of them.

I stayed with them overnight for 4 days, with my 75-y.o. mom who managed the 4-story walkup. The deal was, we could sleep in their living room if I'd buy them a futon and leave it behind. LOL, cheaper than hotels.

Most people have zero interest in your young adult who lives there. Zero. If she comes and goes, minds her own business, and is aware of her surroundings she'll likely have a very good year.

Next time you visit, instead of walking around alone feeling nervous, consider taking a walking tour run by people who have lived there awhile, to learn the history and experience a little joy. Yes, it's touristy to do this, but you need some replacement thoughts to take back home.

Harlem Tours - Harlem Heritage Tours and Cultural Center - Real HarlemHarlem Heritage Tours & Cultural Center - Harlem Heritage Tours Where Harlem History Comes Alive.
or
Harlem Gospel Tours: Best Harlem Tours and Gospel Music in NYC | Harlem Spirituals

It will give you other things to think about, instead of only worry. Your daughter's living where a lot of post-college students choose for its transportation convenience and rental values.

Last edited by BrightRabbit; 12-01-2014 at 09:07 AM..

Old 12-01-2014, 12:33 PM

Thank you for all of your comments. She will give it a month and then reevaluate. The area around 125th street and FDB is fine, but the blocks seems to get rapidly sketchy as you head north to 132,133street.

Old 12-01-2014, 12:49 PM

6 posts, read 8,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
It's a hood straight up. Don't let the gentrifiers tell you otherwise. Great food though if you can find the hole in the wall soul food joints....if they still exist.
This, right here.

Old 12-01-2014, 01:50 PM

1,707 posts, read 1,080,309 times
She's kind of stuck in the middle. Once you get up to 141st Street, especially west of Edgecombe, the area actually gets pretty nice. I actually prefer it to downtown. Same with just south of 125th.

Overall, she will be fine and can walk to the areas I mention where she can find great bars and places to eat.

I hope she got a rent stabalized apartment. In another five years rent is going to be through the roof!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or