U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 08:23 AM

386 posts, read 293,747 times

Advertisements

i have a friend with min pin and brussels griffin. They have full reign of one bedroom, and are home 12 hours a day, with a wee wee pad. No dog walker. I figured comparitvely speaking, that getting a dog walking package and some day care would be vastly superior treatment.

listen, i know it's not the best. we could chat about this endlessly.

I guess my real question is, under our scenario, would the dog be unhappy/off the wall? Or would we all get by as a happy family?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2014, 08:53 AM

2,721 posts, read 2,148,098 times
Check craigslist. You may be able to find some NYU student to come over for an hour each day to spend some time with your dog and take him out. That may be better than doggy day care - I would have jumped at 1 hr per day for $250 / month in college.

Old 12-01-2014, 08:55 AM

178 posts, read 168,101 times
I think it is cruel to have a dog when both of you are gone 12+ hours a day. Maybe volunteer at a pet shelter to get your doggie fix? What is the point of having a dog when you will rarely spend time with it?

Old 12-01-2014, 09:12 AM

16,724 posts, read 13,694,695 times
Who cares what other people do? It's not right to keep a dog cooped up all day! I don't give a damn where you live, or how much money you have, the dog wouldn't even know you because you aren't there being the pack leader; you'd be paying other people to take care of the dog.

Do not do this to a defenseless animal. Go get a plant or something.

Old 12-01-2014, 09:19 AM

996 posts, read 945,726 times
How about revising your budget to accommodate more services for your dog? Skip a major vacation or two, AND drink water not cocktails/wine with dinner for 2 years, or whatever, to free up more money for the dog's needs. (Welcome to parenthood).

Old 12-01-2014, 09:21 AM

Guys, there are plenty of people, even parents, that balance 60-70 hour work weeks with kids/dogs. We are under that range. I do not want to turn this into a debate that someone with a high demand job should not be entitled to be a parent of a child/dog.

All I am asking is if the dog would grow to be bonkers with a dog walker filling in during the day, possibly 2x day, Monday - Thursday (we work reg hours Friday, and do not work on the weekends).

Old 12-01-2014, 09:24 AM

967 posts, read 943,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaRuss01 View Post
Hey all,

My wife and I (no kids yet) desperately want to get a dog. However, we both work your usual long NYC hours. I am working banking hours, she is working attorney hours.

I leave at 8:15am and get home at 9/10pm, she leaves the same time and gets home at 8/9pm. We are not able to get back to UES to walk during the day.

We are thinking about the following routine; this would be for the first year or two of the dogs life, and then we are moving to suburbia, so the dog will have more room and full time help from future gma.

*<15 lb dog (mini Sheltie or toy Aussie), that is preferably litter box trained.
*We would carve out a 8x8 foot pen for him to play in all day in our apartment.
*We would walk him in the morning (8am) and late evening (9pm), and we would get a package of $500/mo, which includes (1) 15 hour doggie daycare /week, and (4) 30 minute afternoon walks/week, so that covers M-F. During the weekends, I would take the dog to Central Park everyday.
*While in NYC, we do not want to exceed $500/mo by having doggie day care DAILY, as it would deter savings for future house.

I LOVE dogs, but do not want to be cruel. I would spend every waking hour with the dog during the weekends...if I had more time during the week, trust me, I would spend it with the dog.

We cant be the only people who work decent hours that have a dog. Is this scenario feasible?
No, no, no, no ... NO!

I can see you've thought about this, and that you love dogs. That's commendable. But even considering the daycare and 30 minute walks, that's an awfully long time for a dog to be without your company. The thing that troubles me most is the 8' square enclosure. That's just not a lot of room even for a small dog, especially considering that the litter box would be there. What if the dog knocks over the water bowl? What if it's freaked out by thunder and starts barking? What if the dog walker bails on you (even if he/she lets you know earlier in the day)? There are lots of what-ifs, none of them life/death dire, but they add up to a potentially (likely?) unhappy life for both you and the dog.

Dogs are wonderful. They're also furry anchors. Get one when you get a house and a more dog-friendly schedule.

Old 12-01-2014, 09:34 AM

996 posts, read 945,726 times
I kind of liked the NYU student idea over the professional dogwalker. From what I see, it looks like the dogwalkers come and pat the dog on the head, clip 'em up, and walk to a schedule. Not enough human interaction to really satisfy a dog.

Could you offer some student - in addition to pay!-- the use of your quiet apartment to study for at least an hour, staying with the dog inside ? Make an employment contract for suitable terms, including that only that same person is allowed in the apartment/ no subcontracting/ no gatherings. Your job is flexible to a student's schedule. I just don't know how it'd work with insurance, etc.

Also, there might be breeds with greater and lesser needs for attention. That's worth researching. We have a half-Akita who only needs 15-30 minutes a day hard exercise since puppyhood. After that, he's spent. That's been vastly different than other dogs we had that were Retrievers with huge exercise needs, 90 minutes of chase-and-run. So many kinds of dogs. Of course you want a smaller breed, but there's variety within that category.

Old 12-01-2014, 09:40 AM

16,724 posts, read 13,694,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaRuss01 View Post
Guys, there are plenty of people, even parents, that balance 60-70 hour work weeks with kids/dogs. We are under that range. I do not want to turn this into a debate that someone with a high demand job should not be entitled to be a parent of a child/dog.

All I am asking is if the dog would grow to be bonkers with a dog walker filling in during the day, possibly 2x day, Monday - Thursday (we work reg hours Friday, and do not work on the weekends).
Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD.

You've gotten your answer, from quite a few people. It is DON'T DO IT. It's not fair to the dog (not that you care, because it's something you WANT).

Old 12-01-2014, 09:51 AM

thanks guys. it seems like if we do this we either need to get creative with A. breed, or B. care, or a combination of both. otherwise, it would not be in the interest of all parties involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or