U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 10:57 AM

996 posts, read 946,748 times

Advertisements

If you want a perspective backed by some genuine knowledge about dogs and their behaviors, try calling up a Veterinarian or, if they'll talk with you by phone, the Vet who interviews families for adoption at a non-kill dog shelter in the suburbs (only because they have time to talk), or even better in NYC itself.

Ask them what they would say if you presented them with this case situation, and this dog would be their client. Would they give you a thumbs up, sideways, or down?

You don't need people judging you negatively for the fact that you are well-heeled. You need a professional who deeply understands things from the dog's perspective. Over the years, I've gotten amazingly creative, reasurring, or confronting/"no" answers from my Veterinarians. They care more about dogs than people, which is right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2014, 11:27 AM

4,480 posts, read 8,327,999 times
You don't talk anything about how you are going to train the dog. have you ever had a puppy? Puppies get into everything! You talk about litter box training it. Someone has to do that. It doesn't just happen in a day either. Heck, you have to teach it to even walk on a leash. You can't just spend 3 hours teaching the dog to pee on the pad. You have to lead him there every single time. I had 3 dogs growing up all at the same time. Training is hard. Two walks a day is no where near enough times for a puppy who isn't house broken.

Please rethink this. Or adopt a shelter dog that is already house broken. Or just rethink this.

Old 12-01-2014, 11:33 AM

386 posts, read 294,466 times
dog would be litter box trained from seller guaranteed...and we would take off close to 2 weeks to train to the best of our ability.

yes, i had a puppy growing up.

...forget it, this thread is useless...if you people are so opposed to this, then go setup a rally in Union Square and preach to the tens of thousands of NYC dog owners that provide much less care / face time, and have no strategy for training.

Old 12-01-2014, 11:40 AM

15,237 posts, read 23,793,029 times
your hardly ever home, what would you need a dog for, or even want one.

it makes no sense.

Old 12-01-2014, 11:48 AM

835 posts, read 816,974 times
My roommate has a a 5 y/o Australian Shepherd. I live with 5 other roommates so between the 6 of us and our random schedules, there is someone always home to at least pet her, walk her, feed her.

I still feel bad for her though because she's couped up inside our apartment all day and only goes out a few minutes a day. Aussies are meant for herding, and being on farms, running, etc. They are not apartment dogs. I think your scenario could work based on:
1) You are looking for a smaller dog that may require less exercise in general
2) You are ensuring that there is someone there to care for the pup every 5 or so hours
3) You have the financial means to take care of it

Plus, I don't see how a dog's life is any better off in a (kill) shelter where they are treated as a number rather than a pet of your family. Like you said, you will be moving to suburbia in a few years so you can eventually offer a yard where the dog can run around.

Old 12-01-2014, 11:56 AM

2,853 posts, read 6,262,136 times
After a lot of consideration, my husband and I adopted a puppy a year ago today. We both work at times 12 hours/ day, however we work opposite schedules. He is in the restaurant industry, I am in Finance. So while we both work a lot, the dog is not home alone for many hours at a time. Think very carefully before you adopt. If you're not home, why do you want a dog? Would a cat, which is a more independent pet, give you what you're looking for? Cats can be very affectionate, and prior to my dog, I had a cat that lived to 18 years.

Remember that your schedule has to revolve around the animal. For example, grabbing that drink with coworkers after work that you might have done before is no longer as easy to do without advance planning. Instead of the gym after work, you might find that 1 hour walk with the dog necessary instead. Each breed requires a different amount of exercise.

Puppies/dogs require a consistent schedule and consistent training. While you have your friends, family, and the outside world to interact with at a whim, YOU are all your puppy/dog has. Dogs are very much man's best friend and they become VERY attached to their humans. Boredom while alone varies by breed, so do your research. I know a couple instances with friends that got smaller dogs that are bred to be companions - those companion dogs wreaked havoc on their apartments when alone for even a short period of time, almost out of anger.

Taking the time off in the beginning is smart - be strict with your schedule. It's very easy to spoil, but you need to be consistent.

If you know you're going to be away from home for long hours, and can't stop in for lunch or an afternoon walk, look for a dogwalker or doggy daycare. Otherwise it really isn't fair, and I wonder what you want the dog for... When you see how excited the dog is when you come home after even an hour away, you'll realize how much you mean to the dog and how bonded they are / how sad they are when you're gone.

The other important thing is to not set a dog up to fail. A dog left alone in an apartment for hours has a lot of temptation and a lot of time, which is often a set up to fail, an inevitably have an angry human. That is not fair.

Also, please try to adopt from shelters and not breeders. Or at least visit a shelter to understand the importance of making a life-long commitment to an animal.

Do you have any friends with dogs? Could you offer to dog sit for a week so you could see what it's like?

Old 12-01-2014, 12:11 PM

386 posts, read 294,466 times
we are very good friends with people that live in 5 other units in the building. they are all dying to get a dog, and my wife and i would be the first to pull the trigger. they work regular hours. while they wouldnt be dedicated dog walkers, im sure they would be very happy to swing by if allowed to play with the dog. we all practically live in each others apartments anyway.

that supplmented with a 30-min daily dog walker and occassional daycare would lead to a happy dog, i think. i would also install a camera with phone app to ensure the safety of the dog, and frequency of the dog walker.

Old 12-01-2014, 12:13 PM

10,633 posts, read 20,770,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaRuss01 View Post
...forget it, this thread is useless...if you people are so opposed to this, then go setup a rally in Union Square and preach to the tens of thousands of NYC dog owners that provide much less care / face time, and have no strategy for training.
OK -- that's just crazy. YOU ASKED FOR OPINIONS on this forum. If you don't like them, then it's your right to ignore them, or whatever. But stop crying about getting opinions here when you are the one who asked. Geez.

Old 12-01-2014, 12:18 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,774,919 times
To answer your question, yes, your dog will be bonkers. two STRANGERS will be coming into his/her home every single night.

One thing that doesn't make sense, is why are you planing on giving the dog a pen to be in, when it will be at doggie day care all day?

To kind of put it in perspective for you, my fiance and I have two Boston Terriers. One we got before we moved to NYC, and one we got after we've lived here.

The first one, my fiance was with every single day since we brought him home while I was working. He never chewed up shoes or anything he wasn't supposed to and is pretty much the most perfect dog ever.

Our second one, we got in NYC and two days after we got her, my fiance started experiencing her very first episode of multiple schlerosis. Between doctors visits, trying to get some work done, and taking care of my fiance the whole time because she couldn't see/walk for most part, I wasn't able to fully train the new puppy. She was never disciplined for the first month, because to be honest, I never had the time. It was OK that she was peeing in the house because I wasn't able to fully potty train her, or show her the love she deserved. Still to this day, she goes to the bathroom in the house, and chews up shoes if we leave them out. It's in her mind that she knows what she does is bad, but knows that nothing major is going to happen to her, even though I do discipline her now.

Also, by mainly only really being with the dog on the weekend, it won't really obey you that well. Like I said above, you're pretty much a stranger. My fiance works way longer hours than I do right now, and I'm the one that mainly takes care of them so they both love me way more and listen to me better. When we take them for walks it's night and day the difference between when I'm holding the leash and when she is.

Old 12-01-2014, 12:18 PM

16,724 posts, read 13,704,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaRuss01 View Post
dog would be litter box trained from seller guaranteed...and we would take off close to 2 weeks to train to the best of our ability.

yes, i had a puppy growing up.

And out of those thousands of dog owners, many are assclowns who aren't doing what they should do for their pet.

You asked, we told you. Every single person here has said not to get a dog. But like those other thousand people in NYC, the dog be damned, because it's what you want.

Nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or