U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Old 12-01-2014, 12:03 PM
24 posts, read 37,680 times
Reputation: 11


I have an identification card, not a drivers license that has expired few months ago. I didn't go and renew it and want to renew it now. The other thing is my address in the old identifcation card, i no longer live there and thus need a new address change as well.

I checked online and it says if i renew my id in person, i cannot change my address at the same time. Is this true? I read that you can change your address online and it takes a while. So that means if i want to renew my id and have my new address shown... that means i first need to change my address online first... wait 1 week till i see my address is changed. Then i go to the dmv to renew my id so the new id that gets sent to my home will show the new address as oppose to the old one?

I called the DMVs phone number online and all of them are busy not surprisingly as theres lot of ppl who go there everyday.

Has anyone here had to renew an expired id and also needed to change the address at the same time can tell me how its suppose to be done? I was going to head to the dmv earlier until i read online u cant just renew the id and say i want my address changed to this one etc.

Also if you can change your address at the dmv, do they need proof besides your old id/passport? Or would they need some type of utility bill whether its an electricity bill, phone bill or bank bill that shows the new address you want it to be before they let you change it? I figure your old expired id and passport would be sufficient?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2014, 05:43 PM
Location: Paramus, NJ
10 posts, read 9,757 times
Reputation: 60
Since you have up to one year to renew an expired NYS Driver License or ID Card, I would send in a written change of address notification to the DMV. Once that change has been processed, I would renew my ID Card online. This way, you won't have to be bothered with going into a DMV office and waiting on a long line to show proof of your new address in order to renew your ID Card.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top