U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 07:44 PM

19,146 posts, read 32,681,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Do you always try to start confrontations with other posters?

I explicitly wrote that the two are "not quite on the same level as banning certain size drinks at certain establishments." In light of that, your question is puzzling.
Quote:
The truly sick thing is that de Blasio shows that he doesn't really care about the health and safety of these animals as he claims; indeed, his proposed legislation still allows for horse-drawn carriages in parades and movie sets. This is nothing but a publicity stunt appealing to the extreme fringe.

That's what you wrote.
This implies that you also feel that working movies/parades is the same as shuttling around tourists every day. Otherwise I don't know why you bothered to write it.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2014, 07:47 PM

2,138 posts, read 2,157,576 times
Quote:
I have no problem issuing bans that impact directly and indirectly the health of the general public, such as smoking bans (I'm not having my lifespan shortened because you want to light up next to me). This ban, however, seems silly and unnecessary.
Yes but that's the thing. Bans don't stop at smoking....that's the foot in the door for a whole mess of other bans. It won't affect you until it does. That is the beauty of bans.

If you support bans of ANY kind you are promoting this NEW way of governing. Sometimes it works in your favor and sometimes it doesn't.

Old 12-01-2014, 08:13 PM

9,693 posts, read 5,278,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
That's what you wrote.
This implies that you also feel that working movies/parades is the same as shuttling around tourists every day. Otherwise I don't know why you bothered to write it.
That is showing his hypocrisy on the matter. If it's about the animals as he claims, then why is he granting an exception? But did they really irk you that much? You are confrontational for no reason far too often.

Old 12-01-2014, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
Yes but that's the thing. Bans don't stop at smoking....that's the foot in the door for a whole mess of other bans. It won't affect you until it does. That is the beauty of bans.

If you support bans of ANY kind you are promoting this NEW way of governing. Sometimes it works in your favor and sometimes it doesn't.
Sure, it doesn't always work. But, now as opposed to years prior, I can walk and visit a great deal many more places without breathing in that mess. I can have solid beach and amusement park days; and if people light up in contravention of the law or other rule, then I have recourse to make them put it out. That's very valuable for my health. When it comes to my health, this is a new way of governing that I support; the old way clearly wasn't working.

Old 12-01-2014, 08:22 PM

23,254 posts, read 16,063,944 times
Quote:
That is showing his hypocrisy on the matter. If it's about the animals as he claims, then why is he granting an exception? But did they really irk you that much? You are confrontational for no reason far too often.
He isn't granting the exception. The animals used in parades or film sets will not be used daily, weekly, or even monthly. Most New York City parades and most New York city films don't use horses. So this means rarely for a parade or film they would bring in a trained horse for some farm for the duration of the parade or its use in the film and send it back.

But his bill completely ends the horse carriage industry.

Old 12-01-2014, 08:23 PM

23,254 posts, read 16,063,944 times
Quote:
Sure, it doesn't always work. But, now as opposed to years prior, I can walk and visit a great deal many more places without breathing in that mess. I can have solid beach and amusement park days; and if people light up in contravention of the law or other rule, then I have recourse to make them put it out. That's very valuable for my health. When it comes to my health, this is a new way of governing that I support; the old way clearly wasn't working.
I feel the same way. I completely support the smoking ban and other bans that promote individual and community health.

There's other bans that are important. One is not allowed to drive a car or any other vehicle (bus, train, airplane) while drunk or high, for obvious public safety reasons.

Old 12-01-2014, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I feel the same way. I completely support the smoking ban and other bans that promote individual and community health.

There's other bans that are important. One is not allowed to drive a car or any other vehicle (bus, train, airplane) while drunk or high, for obvious public safety reasons.
Right. If smokers only had an impact on their own health, I'd view things differently, but secondhand smoke is no joke! The smoke actually makes me sick pretty quickly, which is why it's a big deal for me to book nonsmoking rooms/nonsmoking suites when staying at hotels.

Old 12-01-2014, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
He isn't granting the exception. The animals used in parades or film sets will not be used daily, weekly, or even monthly. Most New York City parades and most New York city films don't use horses. So this means rarely for a parade or film they would bring in a trained horse for some farm for the duration of the parade or its use in the film and send it back.

But his bill completely ends the horse carriage industry.
I disagree. Yes, that's a big difference, but he's making this move almost on humanitarian grounds in the interest of horses' health. If it's inhumane to utilize horses for regular carriage rides, I don't see how it's not for movie props or parades, etc. After all, while parades last only for a day and shows aren't year round, those horses are still (according to the animal rights crowd that Bill is pandering to) often being treated inhumanely in the period leading up to those uses. Thus, using that same logic, I'd argue that he can't support one ban for the reasons he does while excluding other uses of horses.

Old 12-02-2014, 12:50 AM

3,245 posts, read 4,162,776 times
What's next on the Animal Rights agenda? Banning NYCers from owning dogs, unless they are unemployed & can spend all day with the animals?

Old 12-02-2014, 12:53 AM

14,802 posts, read 17,410,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Sad day for you maybe.
Nah not even. I got better and important things to worry about. How about you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or