U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 07:44 PM

18,292 posts, read 11,683,969 times

Advertisements

Politics 101:

Send a bill to Congress, state or local governing body that hasn't a snowball's chance in Hell of passing. Even if it does not pass you can at least say you tried but......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2014, 08:26 PM

23,262 posts, read 16,076,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Politics 101:

Send a bill to Congress, state or local governing body that hasn't a snowball's chance in Hell of passing. Even if it does not pass you can at least say you tried but......
Yes. So he can satisfy the animal rights crowd that donated money and delivered votes. Because this has either two outcomes.

The bill does not pass, but de Blasio can say he made a legitimate effort.

Or the bill does pass, in which case the activists are very happy.

Old 12-04-2014, 04:52 AM

30,351 posts, read 31,219,942 times
It is kind of sad as those horse carriages have been a cultural symbol/icon of Central Park.

Old 12-04-2014, 10:46 AM

7,624 posts, read 8,121,577 times
I find it ironic that some NYC politicians want to ban the carriage horses on the grounds that it is inhumane yet if the City Council approves this ban the horses will be sent to a slaughterhouse. Talk about inhumane ....

I know the present NYC City Council is the most leftist legislative body in American history but surely they are not this stupid. They can't even see the supreme irony in all this.

Old 12-04-2014, 10:51 AM

749 posts, read 716,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
This is really a sad day in hell.
This is the best thing he has done, since he is in office.........those poor animals have been for centuries mistreated......and they have no place in busy streets of NYC with the population we have.......the people are not even safe crossing the streets. A day does not go by, that someone is killed or injured.....

Old 12-04-2014, 11:05 AM

23,262 posts, read 16,076,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
I find it ironic that some NYC politicians want to ban the carriage horses on the grounds that it is inhumane yet if the City Council approves this ban the horses will be sent to a slaughterhouse. Talk about inhumane ....

I know the present NYC City Council is the most leftist legislative body in American history but surely they are not this stupid. They can't even see the supreme irony in all this.
Proof the horses will be sent to a slaughterhouse? Come up with a legitimate citation.

Old 12-06-2014, 09:24 PM

4,778 posts, read 7,501,896 times
The only good thing about this ban is that the serious stinky-ness in the area near The Plaza Hotel all the way to the Time Warner Building/Columbus Circle might be a thing of the past. It was quite an adventure every time I drove through that area, especially in the summer months! Peuw!!!

One time I was walking somewhere in Clinton and I guess I passed by the stable where they put all those horses, Lord almighty... it was as if NYC had a very long and super stinky fart. I almost died! It has to be lived to be believed. And it hits you out of nowhere. One moment you are walking, minding your own business and then wham! stink-a-rama to the ninth power. You ask yourself who farted and then you reach the conclusion that NYC did. There should be warning signs a few feet away, I'm serious.

With that said, it's sad the mayor is attempting to do away with this traditional aspect of NY's Central Park. Despite the stink bomb nature of all those animals, its still tradition and I think it should be preserved for future generations.

Old 12-07-2014, 01:33 AM

1,433 posts, read 2,022,984 times
What was the big deal about the horse carriages? Why ban something that never bothered anyone and created a few jobs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or