Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 03:01 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,424,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
This is really a sad day in hell.
LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2014, 03:04 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,042,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
This is really a sad day in hell.
Sad day for you maybe.

Old 12-01-2014, 03:15 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J View Post
I think the happy notion that these horses will be free to roam the parries of Central park or other open land is just not accurate. Horses cost a lot of money too care for and maintain. What good will a ban do if all the current and future horses are sent to slaughter?

I have mixed emotions about this. On one hand I feel badly that the horses have to endure such conditions of being worked 7 days a week 365 days a year and have to dodge the traffic and other horrendous working conditions that a horse shouldn't have to endure.
Well, if they are slaughtered so what? It's not like they are going to breed future horses for Central Park.

People used to commonly get around by horse. But nobody went out of there way to ride horses just to prevent the possibility that unneeded horses might go to the slaughter house.

Old 12-01-2014, 03:18 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
YEAH !

The good "folks" get to feel the disappointment of a ban. I am sorry the drivers will be out of a job and tourists will not get to experience the iconic carriage rides anymore BUT that's what you get when BAN CULTURE thrives.

I hope everybody realizes that those "necessary" bans on smoking and all the other devilish acts can and WILL affect them one day too.

I can;t wait to see what kind of real estate development goes up in place of the horse stables on the West Side.

Happy Holidays everybody.....
I am very happy smoking was banned from restaurants and bars in many states, including NYC. It hasn't affected me because I do not smoke.

Old 12-01-2014, 04:08 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
I have no problem issuing bans that impact directly and indirectly the health of the general public, such as smoking bans (I'm not having my lifespan shortened because you want to light up next to me). This ban, however, seems silly and unnecessary. Although not quite on the same level as banning certain size drinks at certain establishments (when you think of it, the soda ban was purely a money maker as the "large" drinks that the City attempted to ban are so laced with ice that the soda content as no more than the 20 ounce size still allowed for purchase at certain establishments), this is still ridiculous. The mayor talks out of one side of his mouth about wanting to bring jobs back to the City, but then acts to directly eliminate jobs through stunts like this. The truly sick thing is that de Blasio shows that he doesn't really care about the health and safety of these animals as he claims; indeed, his proposed legislation still allows for horse-drawn carriages in parades and movie sets. This is nothing but a publicity stunt appealing to the extreme fringe.

Old 12-01-2014, 04:57 PM

34,003 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I have no problem issuing bans that impact directly and indirectly the health of the general public, such as smoking bans (I'm not having my lifespan shortened because you want to light up next to me). This ban, however, seems silly and unnecessary. Although not quite on the same level as banning certain size drinks at certain establishments (when you think of it, the soda ban was purely a money maker as the "large" drinks that the City attempted to ban are so laced with ice that the soda content as no more than the 20 ounce size still allowed for purchase at certain establishments), this is still ridiculous. The mayor talks out of one side of his mouth about wanting to bring jobs back to the City, but then acts to directly eliminate jobs through stunts like this. The truly sick thing is that de Blasio shows that he doesn't really care about the health and safety of these animals as he claims; indeed, his proposed legislation still allows for horse-drawn carriages in parades and movie sets. This is nothing but a publicity stunt appealing to the extreme fringe.
You're comparing working on a movie set or a parade to being out there 365 days a years 7 days a week? That's the same thing? I'm just saying.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-01-2014, 05:06 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,650,878 times
This seems like such a pointlessly minor issue...

Old 12-01-2014, 05:15 PM

34,003 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Any of these people posting on here probably never even went on a horse-n-carriage ride through Central Park. But let them talk; that's what this forum is reduced to nowadays.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-01-2014, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Not really. If passed, this will have a significant impact on the people's livelihoods. That's not pointless to those people. And it doesn't bode well to those who would be in the path of an ever growing city government intent on banning things.

Old 12-01-2014, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
You're comparing working on a movie set or a parade to being out there 365 days a years 7 days a week? That's the same thing? I'm just saying.
Do you always try to start confrontations with other posters?

I explicitly wrote that the two are "not quite on the same level as banning certain size drinks at certain establishments." In light of that, your question is puzzling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City