U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2014, 03:50 PM

20 posts, read 28,795 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all the advice.
I worked the numbers and it is way cheaper to buy a new car than to rent one. At least up front. A 22-day one way rental for a sedan is about $3,300 with insurance. I feel that could go to a down payment for a new car.
The moving truck is just too expensive.

My main concern is the wear and tear on a new vehicle, and also the depreciation. But as someone on here said, I also feel that if you just take of your car it will be fine. I had a 2004 4Runner which I took on many road trips and it runs like new until this day. I did maintenance on it every time it needed it. And yes the car loses value right when you drive it off the lot.

I can understand the arguments for both sides.
One other plus for buying a car in NY is that I'll have a vehicle once I get to LA.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2014, 08:50 PM

2,201 posts, read 4,000,343 times
I moved to LA from New York.

I agree that buying a used car in New York is very tricky. It's a significantly weaker used car market and the used cars are significantly more worn due to winter and the city/ state roads which continue to be littered with potholes!!!

Before I moved to LA, I stayed with a friend for a week, bought a used car that was in great shape (after being inspected) for cheaper (shockingly) than similar, crappier cars would be in New York.

I would buy new in New York or do your best to buy one quickly in LA.

Old 12-03-2014, 08:46 AM

116 posts, read 111,766 times
When moving cross country to LA many moons ago, I filled my car with my stuff, had it shipped on a carrier (was super inexpensive, somewhere around $1000 from PA to LA) and flew to LA.

Take a look at pricing - this may end up being a cheaper route than hiring a moving van. If so, you could buy the car and do the same with your possessions but instead of flying, hop on an Amtrak! More structured trip obviously, but you can relax, sleep, etc. and not have to worry about paying for hotels / motels / finding camping sites / etc.

Old 12-03-2014, 04:05 PM

3,126 posts, read 2,625,178 times
A suggestion: If you are going to buy a new car in New York State, I recommend the Simmons Rockwell dealerships located in the southern tier. People go there from near and far for the best deals around with no haggling. You won't get a good deal in the city. See below.

https://www.simmons-rockwell.com/new-vehicles

Old 12-03-2014, 05:47 PM

290 posts, read 347,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by molocono View Post

My main concern is the wear and tear on a new vehicle, and also the depreciation. But as someone on here said, I also feel that if you just take of your car it will be fine. I had a 2004 4Runner which I took on many road trips and it runs like new until this day. I did maintenance on it every time it needed it. And yes the car loses value right when you drive it off the lot.
It's about 3000 miles coast to coast. Average driver goes what, 18000 miles in a year? If you own the car 5 years, you've added about 3% more miles. It's not that big a deal.

Highway miles are also better on a car than city miles. They even say if you only do city driving you should take it on the highway every now and then which is good for the car. I don't think the wear and tear is a big deal. If you are that concerned about depreciation, you should buy a used car.

Old 12-16-2014, 05:13 PM

10 posts, read 9,749 times
Default Buying a new car in New York and driving it to Caliornia

I moved to San Diego in 1999 from New York. I did exactly what you want to do, and bought a new car in New York and drove it to California. Since I had previously obtained a California Driver License on a previous trip, I bought the car using my California address and had the dealer issue a 30 day transport tag. Since 1994, all new cars sold in New York State are California emissions compliant. Once you get to California, you can easily register it there, but you will have to pay them the sales tax.

Old 12-17-2014, 07:03 AM

545 posts, read 757,248 times
do not buy a car until after you're already in LA. why would you put 3,000 miles on the car you just bought? makes no sense. rent one, and then purchase once you're in cali

Old 01-30-2015, 04:20 PM

2,138 posts, read 2,155,534 times
I'm all for it. I am getting out of here in two weeks to San Diego. You are making the best move of your life. LA might not be the place for you long term but CA is so much nicer than NY.

Native NY'er saying bye bye. Enjoy.

Old 01-31-2015, 03:58 PM

101 posts, read 135,605 times
Why don't you just rent a U-haul truck and drive it cross country? It might be a bit expensive but you wouldn't have to deal with the registration switch or emissions issue. Plus, you'd save your eventual new car from all those miles driving cross-country.

Old 01-31-2015, 05:14 PM

4,408 posts, read 2,265,992 times
^ Trucks are an uncomfortable drive/ride cross country. You also have to climb up very steep mountain roads when you hit the Rockies. A loaded up UHaul truck will struggle, not to mention it will burn up more fuel than a sedan.

So...OP...which car are you thinking about getting?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or