U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 08:23 PM

483 posts, read 703,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballervision View Post
Which lines are best for white people to take?
Talk about double take. Did you REALLY just ask that insipid-type question ?!!! I suggest you go to back of FUN WAH tour bus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2014, 08:24 PM

9,693 posts, read 5,288,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmatthew5876 View Post
If you get the first mega bus ticket for a particular ride you can get it for $1. I used to do this before I lived in NYC and was traveling here often for fun. For commuting I like the china town bus because its a flat fee and I can buy the ticket the same day without having to make plans too far out.

They give priority to people who bought tickets online. If you buy one with cash at the booth you're risking that the bus may be full and you'll be stuck catching the next one. This is more common in summer where there are a lot of people traveling.
Yes, the $1 deal is the best. And I always buy online, yet have still had that problem with the main Chinatown bus companies more than a few times.

Old 12-01-2014, 11:23 PM

10,755 posts, read 25,549,656 times
Vamoose is a reliable bus, and is generally a cut above the Chinatown buses, but it travels to Bethesda and Arlington, where one can connect to DC via Metro if needed. It is a bit more expensive, but much less than the train. The Greyhound service that is an express between DC and NYC is a better ride than a regular Greyhound bus. Vamoose is like some of the smaller carriers, where they do not have too many trips a day, which is where the safety record for the Chinatown buses was lacking, too many trips per driver in a day.

I either drive or take Amtrak between DC and Manhattan, but know people who regularly use Vamoose and like it.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 12-02-2014, 01:02 PM

15,679 posts, read 18,237,335 times
I go between Washington DC and New York City frequently and always drive. I have a Delaware EZPass, so I don't even have to stop at toll booths.

It's the easiest way - you hop in your car and it takes only 4 hours. Nothing really.

Old 12-02-2014, 01:40 PM

8,230 posts, read 8,512,384 times
Okay, trying to sort out the helpful from the totally unhelpful, like racial cracks. And I don't drive, Big City Dreamer, which is why I asked about buses.

I was just looking at Vamoose to Bethesda as another option, but their website is so short on information - like arrival times, headquarters location, general pricing information - that it makes me wary.

FMatthew, it's not particularly useful to just talk about "the Chinatown bus" without mentioning a name or location. I didn't know there were any Chinatown buses left, but I need a little more information to track them down.

Amisi, if you really don't know why anyone would sit on a dirty bus, I'll explain to you very carefully that there's a substantial difference for a lot of people between spending $20-$30 for the bus vs. $85-$120 for the train.

Henna, I agree about safety, but I wish someone would make it easier to be able to call one place and get all the information!

So, I get the impression from you guys that Bolt/Mega are viable options and neither shines out as much better than the other?

Old 12-02-2014, 01:58 PM

19,221 posts, read 32,730,162 times
Are the Chinatown buses even legitimate businesses? That might explain the obscurity/lack of comprehensive information on them...

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-02-2014, 02:18 PM

27,621 posts, read 24,826,243 times
I would try the NY2DC bus. It's about the same price as Bolt and drops you off at Dupont Circle.

Old 12-02-2014, 03:38 PM

624 posts, read 703,118 times
The one I take is called rockledge bus. It goes NYC -> Wilmington DE -> Baltimore MD so that doesn't help you. You can find the chinatown bus trips on this site (seriously just google chinatown bus):

Chinatown Bus Ticket cheap bus tickets Compare Greyhound - GotoBus

Old 12-02-2014, 08:58 PM

10,755 posts, read 25,549,656 times
Vamoose was founded in Williamsburg, I believe, and is one of the companies owned by Hasidic Jewish families. Washington Deluxe is the other one. It's a very reliable service, not sketchy like the Chinatown that were shut down were, and Washingtonian and the WaPo had articles on the bus services a few years back:

Best Bus Options from DC to NYC | Washingtonian

Compare bus lines between DC and NYC - The Washington Post

I know people who use Vamoose to/from Bethesda regularly, and use either Vamoose or Tripper, but prefer the Vamoose Gold bus. Arrival times are not something that they publish, since traffic varies, but it's generally a 4.5 hour trip from departure, barring unforeseen complications. From what I understand, they do not hold their drivers to an arrival time because they prefer a safe trip, as opposed to trying to make up a 10-15 minute delay.

I can say that when I drive the route, I see many of the major carriers, and the major commercial service carriers have drivers who are courteous and safe, not like some of the Chinatown buses that were shut down by the DOT.

The FMCSA maintains a database of information on the safety records of bus companies. I would check the reports with the DOT to see if any of the smaller bus companies have been cited for any concerning violations, as there are statistics for the past 24-months.

This is the information for Vamoose, which is operated by DC Trails out of Lorton, VA: SAFER Web - Company Snapshot DC TRAILS INC

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 12-04-2014, 09:05 PM

30 posts, read 42,921 times
I took bestbus two months ago. $60 round trip. Clean bus and on time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or