U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 12:05 PM

4,480 posts, read 8,346,460 times

Advertisements

Not a chance. Someone at my job commutes from Philly and HATES it. We work a literal stone's throw from Penn Station too. Its about the same. We have to be in early on Mondays too and she has to take a 4:30 am bus or else she will be late.

ALTHOUGH we also have someone who lives near Sag Harbor and loves her commute. Reads, watches movies, even met her fiancé on the train.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2014, 12:11 PM

624 posts, read 707,553 times
Likely the novelty of the job will wear off quickly and then this situation will be torture for you. Your life will be work, commuting, and sleep. Forget spending time with your husband or enjoying your new house. If you and your husband have any plans for having kids in the future forget about it because you won't be home enough. Audiobooks will be your new best friend.

I value my lifestyle over my job so I probably would not do this unless I absolutely had to because of money and/or no other jobs available.

Old 12-02-2014, 12:20 PM

319 posts, read 225,008 times
That commute would get old real quick.

Old 12-02-2014, 12:22 PM

2,721 posts, read 2,157,085 times
Absolutely not. Not to mention, you will not be the only one feeling the burden of your commute. Things like having dinner ready the second you walk in the door, all errands, etc will fall to your husband 100% of the time.

Your best option would be to re-evaluate your current living situation - but even if you move closer, it sounds like you and your husband would then have a 1.5hr commute each way, which is just insane.

And during a 2.5hr commute, the only thing you can really be assured of is that delays will happen routinely.

Old 12-02-2014, 12:29 PM

26 posts, read 45,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
No, I wouldn't commute 5 hours a day, but I'm not you.

I have a few questions:

1. Have you discussed this with your husband? What does he think?

2. Would the commute be by public transportation, or would you have to drive? If the latter, do you adore driving?

3. Is there any possibility of telecommuting one or more days a week?

4. What makes you so sure you'd get the job if you applied? If I were the employer, and I saw that you live 2:30 away from the workplace, I'd probably not hire you, because I'd be sure you'd quit after a couple of weeks of commuting.
To answer your questions (for clarity).

1. Have you discussed this with your husband? What does he think? Yes - he understands that this could be a once in a lifetime job opportunity, but we both have similar reservations. He wouldn't stop me from taking it, though. The decision is mine to make.

2. Would the commute be by public transportation, or would you have to drive? If the latter, do you adore driving?
Mostly public transportation...because I hate driving. Either way it will be rough (lots of transfers on public transportation versus lots of driving).

3. Is there any possibility of telecommuting one or more days a week?
Unfortunately, no.

4. What makes you so sure you'd get the job if you applied? If I were the employer, and I saw that you live 2:30 away from the workplace, I'd probably not hire you, because I'd be sure you'd quit after a couple of weeks of commuting.
I hear what you're saying! I have previous experience with this employer. I am never "sure" I will get a job, especially in the current economy, but I have a better shot than lots of people.

Old 12-02-2014, 12:30 PM

7,048 posts, read 7,670,745 times
You definitely won't be the only one who does extreme commuting. I remember reading in the AM newspaper about folks who do extreme daily commuting to work. I remember one person who takes the plane daily to work

Old 12-02-2014, 12:31 PM

Hey since so many people have replied so far, I just want to say thank you so much. You are giving me lots of wonderful things to think about, and helping to confirm some of what I already know but am having trouble facing.

Old 12-02-2014, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
One solution - find a Monday-Thursday room situation. They often come up.
Do you know where to find something like this?

Old 12-02-2014, 12:37 PM

624 posts, read 707,553 times
I think your biggest problem is that you just bought a house. Otherwise you could suffer the horrible commute temporarily while you find a new place to live thats a more reasonable compromise for both of your commutes.

Old 12-02-2014, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmatthew5876 View Post
I think your biggest problem is that you just bought a house.
Right, exactly. This is my main concern as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or