U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 10:47 AM

35 posts, read 31,313 times

Advertisements

I haven't done a commute this extreme, but I did a 90+ minute drive each way for a few years. I would think the train would be less tiring because you can rest, read, etc. Two years ago I sold my old house and moved a bit closer to work.

There is a lot of good input on this thread, but I wanted to add that the biggest challenge for me was when I had a doctor/dentist appointment, or the cable guy/plumber/electrician was scheduled to come to my house. I always tried to schedule the earliest or latest appointment in the day. In retrospect I should have changed to doctors near work instead of sticking with doctors near my house. When I was having work done on my house, though, I usually had to take the day off or try to work from home. If your spouse is able to carry some of that burden, it may work okay.

Do you know if the work hours are flexible? I have a 9/80 flexible schedule, so I work odd hours, usually on the early side (we are also off every other Friday). Despite the long commute, I think I have a pretty well-balanced life with time for family, hobbies, friends, and even housework.

The drive was draining a lot of the time, but I love my job and my co-workers. For me, the long commute was absolutely worth it to have a promising career that I love.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2014, 11:06 AM

21,401 posts, read 28,196,671 times
I would not commute 5 hours for consummation of sec with the Lord Thy God

Old 12-04-2014, 11:27 AM

26 posts, read 48,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MK04 View Post
You would also have to factor in and reflect if you'll actually enjoy the job for the years to come..
I have really been thinking about this as well. I truly wonder if having to spend so much of my life commuting would just kill the enjoyment of the job for me after a while. I think it could be really great at first when everything is new, but it would be so exhausting so quickly that that might wear off really fast.

I think if it was more like 90 minutes each way then that would be more manageable long-term (but still long). But adding the extra hour each way is really rough.

Old 12-04-2014, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRITS77 View Post
Do you know if the work hours are flexible?
They are not flexible enough to make them far outside of rush hour hours, unfortunately. And no chance of working at home much either. If anything the hours might be extended at random sometimes, so that isn't very helpful to me in this case!

Old 12-04-2014, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drblink View Post
After the new job smell goes away, you can move back.
Good one.

Old 12-04-2014, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppin_the_847 View Post
Where in the Hudson Valley do you reside?
Close to New Windsor, if that helps.

Old 12-04-2014, 11:51 AM

35 posts, read 31,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfirst View Post
They are not flexible enough to make them far outside of rush hour hours, unfortunately. And no chance of working at home much either. If anything the hours might be extended at random sometimes, so that isn't very helpful to me in this case!
Yikes. I can relate. There isn't much I can do outside of the lab, so I have to plan carefully when I need to work from home. I get pulled onto proposals periodically and am stuck in a war room until midnight. The drive home is VERY long at midnight (though traffic is minimal, which is nice), especially when I know I'm heading back in just a few hours. Sometimes I don't bother driving home if it gets too late.

I started keeping a bag in my office with extra work clothes and stuff in case I decide to stay in a hotel near work. In your case, I'd seriously look into the suggestion of finding a permanent place to stay during the week, if it's financially feasible.

I've already given way more than my $.02, but one more thought: in your shoes, I would probably apply and see what happens. If you end up going in for an interview, you will hopefully get a gut feeling either way after making the trip, meeting people, and seeing the work environment. Maybe I'm just lucky, but I have usually walked out of interviews feeling strongly that I either hoped for an offer or it wasn't the right fit.

Best of luck in your decision!

Old 12-04-2014, 03:40 PM

2,443 posts, read 4,411,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfirst View Post
Close to New Windsor, if that helps.
I work with a guy who is farther than that. He lives up past Kingston and drives to Southeast Queens every day.

He doesn't seem to mind it, but I have no idea how he does it.

Old 12-04-2014, 07:19 PM

4,925 posts, read 7,055,997 times
2.5 hours from New Windsor into the city? I dunno about all that. Just time it right. It doesn't take that long. Figured you meant around Troy or something.

Anyway, not having to live in the city is worth it from where you're at...

Old 12-05-2014, 12:05 AM

3,853 posts, read 7,605,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
2.5 hours from New Windsor into the city? I dunno about all that. Just time it right. It doesn't take that long. Figured you meant around Troy or something.

Anyway, not having to live in the city is worth it from where you're at...
Yeah, that's right across from the Beacon train station. If you can time yourself for one of those super-express trains (the 6:32, 6:58, or 7:21), you'll be in Manhattan in about an hour and 15 minutes. Then you jump on the subway to Lower Manhattan (another 15-20 minutes), plus the walking on the Manhattan end, and the driving on the New Windsor end. If you time everything right, it will be right around 2 hours.

Of course, coming from that far up, you obviously need to add a little bit of cushion time. But 30 minutes should definitely be enough to ensure that lateness isn't an issue. (Aside from really bad weather, of course)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or