U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-04-2014, 10:59 AM
 
113 posts, read 103,563 times
Reputation: 314

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
I don't understand what the problem is, when a law enforcement officer tells you to do something ... you do it. Yes sir, no sir, yes mam, no mam. If the officer is wrong then you will have your day in court.

1) Do NOT mouth off to the cops.
2) Do NOT fight the cops. You fight the law and the law wins ... every single time.
3) Do NOT spit on or at the cops.
4) Do NOT argue with the cops. Save the street lawyer act for the judge.
^ the four rules of dealing with the cops.

That being said I also believe that the NYPD acted too roughly with Garner. You mean to tell me that 6 big strong cops couldn't restrain one guy without choking him to death? The situation with Eric Garner is very different from what happened in Ferguson with Michael Brown where Brown clearly attacked Officer Wilson.
Well said. Too many people want to live in a utpoia but fail to acknowledge the realities of the world. You don't comply with police you are going to lose whether black white yellow orange.

 
Old 12-04-2014, 11:00 AM
 
23,249 posts, read 16,056,508 times
Reputation: 8534
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
I don't understand what the problem is, when a law enforcement officer tells you to do something ... you do it. Yes sir, no sir, yes mam, no mam. If the officer is wrong then you will have your day in court.

1) Do NOT mouth off to the cops.
2) Do NOT fight the cops. You fight the law and the law wins ... every single time.
3) Do NOT spit on or at the cops.
4) Do NOT argue with the cops. Save the street lawyer act for the judge.
^ the four rules of dealing with the cops.

That being said I also believe that the NYPD acted too roughly with Garner. You mean to tell me that 6 big strong cops couldn't restrain one guy without choking him to death? The situation with Eric Garner is very different from what happened in Ferguson with Michael Brown where Brown clearly attacked Officer Wilson.
I generally agree with all four points, HOWEVER, just because someone says whatever to a police officer doesn't give the cop the right to kill them either or beat them up.

I've been around many white college students and graduates who got arrested while drunk or high. I'm sure they said stuff to the cops, but clearly they are not going to get killed for it. Now of course these kids can't get away with physically fighting the cops (anyone will be taken down if not shot at that point).
 
Old 12-04-2014, 11:03 AM
 
23,249 posts, read 16,056,508 times
Reputation: 8534
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgreenel View Post
Get off you a$$ and protest, rally and do something then!
It's too easy to rant on the internet. This type of person has all the excuses in the world why they can't try to do something.
 
Old 12-04-2014, 11:11 AM
 
113 posts, read 103,563 times
Reputation: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
It's too easy to rant on the internet. This type of person has all the excuses in the world why they can't try to do something.
When sonething worth rallying for happens that's when ill get off my azz. It's not goin to be for some guy arressted over 30 times. Crazy thing in my 36 years I've never been arressted once. Oh that's right it's my white privilege not the fact I'm not out in the streets committing crimes.
 
Old 12-04-2014, 11:58 AM
 
3,447 posts, read 3,515,337 times
Reputation: 3079
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
I don't understand what the problem is, when a law enforcement officer tells you to do something ... you do it. Yes sir, no sir, yes mam, no mam. If the officer is wrong then you will have your day in court.

1) Do NOT mouth off to the cops.
2) Do NOT fight the cops. You fight the law and the law wins ... every single time.
3) Do NOT spit on or at the cops.
4) Do NOT argue with the cops. Save the street lawyer act for the judge.
^ the four rules of dealing with the cops.

That being said I also believe that the NYPD acted too roughly with Garner. You mean to tell me that 6 big strong cops couldn't restrain one guy without choking him to death? The situation with Eric Garner is very different from what happened in Ferguson with Michael Brown where Brown clearly attacked Officer Wilson.
I agree one should be mild mannered to police, but the big problem coming along is that one -does not- have their day in court.

When an officer makes a mistake in NYC, the taxpayer must take a day off their job, while the officer is paid to take his duty to the courthouse. If the citizen is correct and the officer is wrong, there is no penalty- no threat or fear that a less than quality job will have any repercussion.

NYC has an incredibly wrong sense of officer entitlement under some perverse fear that lack of total control will lead to some anarchy or police wrongfully jailing each other. Just as there is a witchhunt against teachers right now for accountability, officers should be held to the same standard.

I may not seek to indite the officer either- he may have done a bad job handling a situation, but it is an unfortunate side effect of his duty as an officer. That said, anyone superior from him in NYPD should have IMMEDIATELY addressed the situation and removed him from the force. Either he screwed up and was excessive, or he just got caught with the hot potato.

The city police will have more problems if they wait and ultimately do little or nothing about the problem.
Garner's family will sue, they -will- win, and the taxpayers will have to make up the losses.

NYPD should not be above the law, and the citizens of the city should not be required to pay for all their mistakes.
 
Old 12-04-2014, 12:11 PM
 
23,249 posts, read 16,056,508 times
Reputation: 8534
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian1231 View Post
When sonething worth rallying for happens that's when ill get off my azz. It's not goin to be for some guy arressted over 30 times. Crazy thing in my 36 years I've never been arressted once. Oh that's right it's my white privilege not the fact I'm not out in the streets committing crimes.
Feel better after that rant that had nothing to do with what I said? Norwood guy went on his rant about criminals, and someone suggested that Norwood Guy protest against the criminals. I stepped in and said right wing internet trolls never do anything about the issues they rant about, because it's easier to scream online.
 
Old 12-04-2014, 12:37 PM
 
Location: USA
8,016 posts, read 9,065,013 times
Reputation: 3383
The police should treat white americans the same exact way they treat black americans.


Just bust their heads already like they do us, and see how fast the white boys start crying and complaining.
 
Old 12-04-2014, 12:38 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned
 
Location: Western Massachusetts
45,740 posts, read 39,621,992 times
Reputation: 14671
And another incident:

NYPD Cops Put Pregnant Woman in a Choke Hold Over Grilling In Front of Her House - Hit & Run : Reason.com
 
Old 12-04-2014, 12:49 PM
 
6,474 posts, read 10,035,440 times
Reputation: 6325
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
I don't understand what the problem is, when a law enforcement officer tells you to do something ... you do it. Yes sir, no sir, yes mam, no mam. If the officer is wrong then you will have your day in court.

1) Do NOT mouth off to the cops.
2) Do NOT fight the cops. You fight the law and the law wins ... every single time.
3) Do NOT spit on or at the cops.
4) Do NOT argue with the cops. Save the street lawyer act for the judge.
^ the four rules of dealing with the cops.

That being said I also believe that the NYPD acted too roughly with Garner. You mean to tell me that 6 big strong cops couldn't restrain one guy without choking him to death? The situation with Eric Garner is very different from what happened in Ferguson with Michael Brown where Brown clearly attacked Officer Wilson.
The only person saying this is Darren Wilson. Dorian Johnson said that Brown never attacked Wilson. There is no one else that can corroborate this story either. Wilson also said Mike went for his gun and they were both fighting for it. Funny thing is Brown's fingerprints were never found on the gun when Wilson DID decide to hand it on his OWN time not at the scene like millions of other cops would have to do.
 
Old 12-04-2014, 12:51 PM
 
6,474 posts, read 10,035,440 times
Reputation: 6325
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Feel better after that rant that had nothing to do with what I said? Norwood guy went on his rant about criminals, and someone suggested that Norwood Guy protest against the criminals. I stepped in and said right wing internet trolls never do anything about the issues they rant about, because it's easier to scream online.
Very, very true. They're all bad asses behind the computer screen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top