U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 08:52 PM

18,677 posts, read 16,438,494 times

Advertisements

I agree if a typo, but for major offenses, I would love to see pensions go bye-bye. We need protection..from the police. They are out of control.

Old 12-04-2014, 08:56 PM

274 posts, read 221,156 times
I just don't understand why people cherry pick events like this. How many street shootings occur and nobody seems even the slightest outraged. Someone, resisting arrest, no matter how minor, ends up dead because police had to roughly subdue him. And its a huge issue. I DON'T GET THAT.

Old 12-04-2014, 08:59 PM

274 posts, read 221,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
I agree if a typo, but for major offenses, I would love to see pensions go bye-bye. We need protection..from the police. They are out of control.
It's a slippery slope. When you start penalizing police for having to use force, they may just stop bothering with stopping crime at all. Then we are all f**cked

Old 12-04-2014, 09:18 PM

205 posts, read 432,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
The police should treat white americans the same exact way they treat black americans.

Just bust their heads already like they do us, and see how fast the white boys start crying and complaining.
Okay...here you go.

And here's you card back sir. It was declined, you at your maximum credit limit.

Old 12-04-2014, 09:28 PM

6,043 posts, read 6,078,917 times
They may or may not be out of control...the NYPD I mean. That's an ongoing debate, especially since 9/11. This however is pure racebaiting nonsense. NYPD had lots of black and Latino officers. If it were a black officer that choked this douche we'd be back to arguing about horses in Central Park already. But no! It was a cracka a*s cracka who choked the douche! Uh oh! White people must really have it out for blacks again! Then the black man in the White House (irony anybody?) gets on the TV to talk about it and deliver his message: don't be actin' ghetto. That's quickly ignored and hilarity in the streets ensues.

Old 12-04-2014, 10:07 PM

3,447 posts, read 3,515,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xTiberiusx View Post
It's a slippery slope. When you start penalizing police for having to use force, they may just stop bothering with stopping crime at all. Then we are all f**cked
Or you weed out garbage officers and start getting people who are dedicated to the job because it's what they want to do and make it to the top of their class in which to perform- not because of zero accountability.

Old 12-04-2014, 10:09 PM

2,493 posts, read 1,852,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback1983 View Post
Okay...here you go.

And here's you card back sir. It was declined, you at your maximum credit limit.
And the officer was fired in that instance....I believe it was in Tennessee. Nice try though...

Old 12-04-2014, 10:16 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,740 posts, read 39,621,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
The police should treat white americans the same exact way they treat black americans.

Just bust their heads already like they do us, and see how fast the white boys start crying and complaining.
Here ya go:

What I Did After Police Killed My Son - Michael Bell - POLITICO Magazine

I have known the name of the policeman who killed my son, Michael, for ten years. And he is still working on the force in Kenosha.

Old 12-04-2014, 10:48 PM

2,493 posts, read 1,852,867 times
White dude on city data: "I don't care how many examples you give me, it's always the black man's fault. If you disagree, you're a race-card player and a reverse racist. Just do what the officer says and you'll have no problems."

Black dude on city data: "Oh yeah, like the girl that was sleeping on her couch and got shot by a cop."

White dude: "When was that?"

Black dude: "The cops were doing a raid, but ended up at the wrong house. A cop ended up shooting a young girl and she died. The cop got off."

White dude: "Well, that's unfortunate. But why don't you people get upset when blacks kill other blacks. Focus on your own communities problems. If a white guy is racist, it's because blacks commit such a disproportionate amount of crime."

Black dude: "We do get upset and protest black-on-black crime. You just don't see it on T.V. Besides, when a black man kills another black man, he usually goes to jail. Just look at the prisons. Plenty of brothas in there. Why can't you just admit that blacks are treated unfairly by the system, even when acting as law abiding citizens?"

White dude: "Everyone is equal and has equal opportunity. My ancestors were immigrants. They pulled themselves up from their bootstraps and didn't complain. They worked hard and earned everything the hard way. You people should stop complaining and just do better, like Asians."

Black dude: "My ancestors were slaves, but they raised their offspring to value education and hard work. My great-great grandfather was a sharecropper. His son fought in World War I, owned a business and had his own land. He was lynched for being an uppity n***** shortly after his son was born. My grandfather and father went to separate but unequal schools. Both became familiar with colored only water fountains and glass ceilings."

White dude: "What does that have to do with today? Get over the past, and focus on the present. Blacks need to improve their communities."

Black dude: "Why do you care so much about blacks improving their communities? Maybe you should volunteer at a Boys and Girls Club. Perhaps you could get involved in gang outreach. The past is prologue. You can't understand the present without acknowledging the past."

White dude: "That's not what I mean"

Black dude: "I know. You're basically saying that white on black prejudice doesn't exist and no amount of evidence will convince you otherwise"

White dude: "White people have to deal with black racism. That's far more prevalent yet no one focuses on that. You have the NAACP, Al and Jesse, BET, Black History Month. When you combine that with all of this feminism and diversity talk, white men are taking it in the shorts. And of course we can't complain about any of it, lest we be branded racists, sexists and xenophobes."

Black dude: "Everyone has to deal with crap. You talk about Asians being high achievers. They earn higher grades and receive tougher degrees than white men, yet earn less money and don't move into positions of higher power. Everyone has a cross to bear. I don't see black police officers killing white men indiscriminately AND getting away with it. As for what we have, few black people listen to Al and Jesse. However, they aren't wrong about everything. BET is garbage. Mexicans have their own TV, why not complain about that? 99% of networks are run by white or Jewish men. Commercials, movies and media in general is saturated with whiteness. To you, that's normal. You probably don't even notice that. But one crappy network gets your attention.

We'll talk later, I'm going to go protest for Eric Garner."

Old 12-04-2014, 11:22 PM

16,685 posts, read 27,887,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
One reason why Gardner got the support he did is he was going to be arrested for selling loose cigarettes.

Those who smoke cigarettes give a way individual cigs all the time or sell them to those who ask for them for a dollar.

Is it worth all the drama to even bother to arrest someone for THIS particular crime? He wasn't hurting anyone when he got caught selling loosies.

You see, the officers themselves involved in these incidents, do not end up undamaged. There's a decent chance the officer could lose their job (goodbye pension), plus you're demonized to the public.

It's why someone on this forum is saying officers should just drink coffee and go home in cases like this. I tend to agree, had they drank coffee and ignored Gardner selling cigarettes there wouldn't be protests all over because of this now.
The NYPD was arresting Garner because of a Bloomberg law. (Imagine if he had had his way with Big Gulps?)

Lung Association Applauds Mayor Bloomberg for Signing Package of Tobacco Control Bills Which Will Save Lives, Reduce Youth Smoking - American Lung Association
Quote:
(November 19, 2013)—
The American Lung Association of the Northeast today applauded Mayor Michael Bloomberg for signing two bills which will prevent more lung disease and save more lives by reducing youth smoking and cracking down on the illegal cigarette smuggling that has resulted in tobacco being available at artificially low prices. Both measures were approved by the City Council in October and will be put in effect in steps with full implementation by May.
Quote:
The Sensible Tobacco Enforcement Act, will step up enforcement against retailers who evade tobacco taxes or sell without a license, prohibit coupons or price discounts for tobacco products, create a minimum price for cigarettes and little cigars, and set minimum packaging requirements for cheap cigars, little cigars and cigarillos to crack down on the sale of “loosies.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or