Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 09:50 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian1231 View Post
Just because something is done all the time doesnt make it right. Lets be honest. What happened here was there was pressure from store owners for the police to clean up that block from people selling loose cigs. They went after the low hanging fruit in Eric Garner, a guy that was known for selling loose cigs. I dont agree with how they man-handled Eric Garner, but to say he was just minding his buisness is naive at best.
He was arressted 31 times, he knew how the game works.Stop with the moral equivalance that just because a law might be unjust people have the right to break it. Once they said they were going to arrest him, it wasnt a negotiation. Perhaps he was having a bad day and was fed up with getting harrassed by police. Thats understandable, but there was a reason why he was being harrassed. The police didnt just pick someone at random. Bottom line, if he submitted to the arrest, he would of been out in a few hours or the next day. Its not like arrest # 32 would of blocked his future job prospects. But in todays world, because he was a black man and the cops were white, this is another example of racism.
It was still ridiculous to waste taxpayer resources on someone selling loose cigarettes, something that is done all the time.

If it's so terrible why not imprison everyone who smokes cigarettes! A law like this is ridiculously because it's going to be arbitrarily enforced, and clearly the cops don't have the resources to arrest all or even most of the offenders.

Old 12-05-2014, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Other result is selling untaxed or less taxed cigarettes. Buying cigarettes from Indian reservations or out of state from cheaper states (Massachusetts is a lot cheaper, New Hampshire is cheaper still). Of course, cigarettes are stamped to show they've paid the state tax, but some will try to get around it. Anyone who thinks that violating tobacco rules is limited to hood types is an idiot. Hood types are just worse at hiding their tax evasion, and more likely to do things on the street.

My dad used to have a cigarette vending machine business, servicing them in bars and clubs. Years ago, I suggested that he try a machine that sells only one cigarette at a very high markup... for desperate drunk people. Didn't know that was illegal. He had a few interesting stories from servicing Italian "social clubs". They told him, "if anyone ever bothers you, let us know..."
Exactly. People who smoke cigarettes will often buy cigarettes from people who DRIVE to Virginia or Massachusetts. It's not really traceable as people buy from people who they know are fellow smokers. I'm speaking of people who have good jobs here. Not a smoker myself, but I have known smokers who have done this.

Old 12-05-2014, 10:02 AM

113 posts, read 127,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
It was still ridiculous to waste taxpayer resources on someone selling loose cigarettes, something that is done all the time.

If it's so terrible why not imprison everyone who smokes cigarettes! A law like this is ridiculously because it's going to be arbitrarily enforced, and clearly the cops don't have the resources to arrest all or even most of the offenders.
I agree with you, but the order came from the top. Its all a numbers game. Make some arrests, show ur superiors your doing something. Maybe the system is screwed up, but I dont know what the alternative is.

Old 12-05-2014, 10:13 AM

113 posts, read 127,048 times
Just STOP making it about race. That's what gets me so sick about all this. If there were protests about Eric Garner's human rights being violated that's a cause I would get behind. But the narrative is Eric Garner was harrassed because he was a black man. Please. The same thing would of happened if he was white and resisting arrest. If you really want to change the way things are, like it or not, you are going to need the support of the middle class. The majority of people dont wanna hear about how racist the world is. We live in a racist society. Everyone is a little racist. We have propaganda in our face 24/7. The only ones who get anything out of this are the race hustlers. They have built careers on all the hate and dis-trust out there. Until you find a way to bridge the middle class and the poor, nothing will ever change. You can have your little protests and marches but the people in power just smirk at them. It doesnt affect them, it affects middle class people who are just trying to make a living and cant make it home because of marches.

Old 12-05-2014, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Just STOP making it about race. That's what gets me so sick about all this. If there were protests about Eric Garner's human rights being violated that's a cause I would get behind. But the narrative is Eric Garner was harrassed because he was a black man. Please. The same thing would of happened if he was white and resisting arrest. If you really want to change the way things are, like it or not, you are going to need the support of the middle class. The majority of people dont wanna hear about how racist the world is. We live in a racist society. Everyone is a little racist. We have propaganda in our face 24/7. The only ones who get anything out of this are the race hustlers. They have built careers on all the hate and dis-trust out there. Until you find a way to bridge the middle class and the poor, nothing will ever change. You can have your little protests and marches but the people in power just smirk at them. It doesnt affect them, it affects middle class people who are just trying to make a living and cant make it home because of marches.
Then you have serious issues of mentioning race makes you fall apart, and it should not make you sick, but then that's your problem and not the problem of the protesters.

If you want to condemn overzealous policing, you can do so regardless of whether it's racist or not.

If a large white man had died just because he was selling loosies, I would condemn that as overzealous policing as well. I'm sure any of those protesters would have.

FBI Opens Investigation Into Tasering Incident That Left 17-year-old In Critical Condition | The Free Thought Project

Read that article. It's a 17 year old white kid who was tasered and fell on his face after a traffic stop. The cop was bad when the kid was told to let down the window and didn't. Only his window was broken and he tried to tell the cop that.

What if something like this happened to YOUR son, brother, father, uncle, etc?

Old 12-05-2014, 10:22 AM

595 posts, read 560,568 times
Quote:
Yep, go on youtube and search 'resist arrest'. You'll see people of all different nationalities being treated the same or worse than Eric garner.

Blacks have a serious chip on their shoulder and are often crying/moaning more than their fair share.

Al sharpton, get off your high horse and pay your damn taxes..

Old 12-05-2014, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboibob View Post
Yep, go on youtube and search 'resist arrest'. You'll see people of all different nationalities being treated the same or worse than Eric garner.

Blacks have a serious chip on their shoulder and are often crying/moaning more than their fair share.

Al sharpton, get off your high horse and pay your damn taxes..
Considering the millions he has made in recent years, I am sure he does pay a lot more in tax than you.

Old 12-05-2014, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Considering the millions he has made in recent years, I am sure he does pay a lot more in tax than you.
Yeah sure, because it's okay for the rich to not pay their taxes..if they are black.

Old 12-05-2014, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboibob View Post
Yeah sure, because it's okay for the rich to not pay their taxes..if they are black.
He's paid plenty in taxes as a millionaire.

Old 12-05-2014, 10:53 AM

Quote:
He's paid more in taxes than you ever will. You have nothing to tax.
Whatever makes you sleep better

New stats in, writing is the most lucrative field and English majors are the most saught after major on every campus across the nation!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City