U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 01:49 PM

661 posts, read 1,000,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
Why the surprise? When have black lives particularly males ever mattered in this country?
NEVER, and yes that also includes many black people themselves which is why the thugs can kill each other over a couple of street dollars or a female but would never band together and start busting on 5-0 no matter how many innocent people in their neighborhoods are wrongly killed by the police.

Old 12-03-2014, 01:53 PM

922 posts, read 1,864,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertee View Post
I hope to see massive protests, riots, arson, etc in NY but I highly doubt it. NYers are softer than baby ****. We are slaves to the politicans and Corporations. They have won the war.

Why don't any cops publicly say anything against officer Pantaleo or any other cops that are killing innocent ppl?

If cops want people to trust them more...the good ones should speak up
I can understand if you disagree with the no indictment decision. But hoping for riots and arson is sick.
You know innocent people have nothing to do with the no indictment decision could die and their property
damaged right? Will you like the protesters to burn your house down or loot your business in the name of
justice for Eric Garner?

Old 12-03-2014, 01:57 PM

9,693 posts, read 5,281,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BinxBolling View Post
"The grand jury merely applied the facts to the law."

Grand juries don't make findings of fact. They decide whether there's probable cause to indict based on the evidence presented. A trial jury makes findings of fact.

In this case, an NYPD officer is on camera killing a man whom he was arresting for selling illegal cigarettes. If this is not probable cause to indict, it is difficult to imagine any scenario at all in which a police officer could be held accountable for killing a civilian.

But then, your reference to Al Sharpton tells me all I need to know.
Einstein, I never claimed that the grand jury makes findings of fact. The facts (in the form of evidence) are nonetheless still presented to the grand jury. Applying the facts to the relevant legal standard(s), the grand jury must determine whether probable cause exists to issue an indictment; in doing such, the grand jury also weighs the credibility of certain evidence (i.e. witness statements). Again, do name something that I wrote about the grand jury process that is incorrect.

As I've stated before in this forum, the fact that Garner was selling loosies is irrelevant to the debate over whether an indictment should have issued (at least not in the way that you're making it seem); indeed, the fact that he was selling loosies, and thus breaking the law, gave police officers the legal authority to initiate arrest proceedings. The fact that such proceedings led to Garner's death is, likewise, not a smoking gun if the officer's actions were within the use of force legal standards (due to Garner's size and the fact that he resisted arrest, the grand jury was more than able to conclude that probable cause didn't exist for an indictment); again, not all homicides are unlawful. So, again, please stop listening to the likes of Al Sharpton and make sure you have an understanding of the proper process and law before concluding otherwise.

Something that can come out of this indictment is a discussion of whether we as a community desire police officers to target certain actions with arrest, etc. But that's a completely different matter than whether an indictment was warranted here.

Old 12-03-2014, 02:06 PM

661 posts, read 1,000,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertee View Post
I hope to see massive protests, riots, arson, etc in NY but I highly doubt it. NYers are softer than baby ****. We are slaves to the politicans and Corporations. They have won the war.
Half the city view themselves as the elite and/or thoroughly support their ideology so they will support the police no matter what ("gotta keep them poor savages in check!") and the other half are foreign born immigrants that are just content with living in the "land of opportunity" and nothing more. The remaining only care that their wi-fi connect is up so they can stay in ZombieLand...

Old 12-03-2014, 02:07 PM

4,246 posts, read 6,377,652 times
Know what else could have happened? The cops could have left him alone. Untaxed cigarettes?

It's ALL about revenue generation! Horrifying that human lives are discarded because of money.

Old 12-03-2014, 02:09 PM

52,654 posts, read 75,502,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
Probably the same thinking after a black attacks someone. The cop crushed in the head with a ax? The asian shoved in front of the moving subway? Any rally's or looting?

Media refuses to report on white cop that was kidnapped/murdered by blacks in THEE RANT Forum
There wasn't any for these incidents either, to my knowledge: Police Gunned Down A 12-Year-Old And Somehow Local News Decided To Run This Story

Charges Dropped For Cop Who Fatally Shot Sleeping 7-Year-Old Girl

Old 12-03-2014, 02:09 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,098,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Einstein, I never claimed that the grand jury makes findings of fact. The facts (in the form of evidence) are nonetheless still presented to the grand jury. Applying the facts to the relevant legal standard(s), the grand jury must determine whether probable cause exists to issue an indictment; in doing such, the grand jury also weighs the credibility of certain evidence (i.e. witness statements). Again, do name something that I wrote about the grand jury process that is incorrect.

As I've stated before in this forum, the fact that Garner was selling loosies is irrelevant to the debate over whether an indictment should have issued (at least not in the way that you're making it seem); indeed, the fact that he was selling loosies, and thus breaking the law, gave police officers the legal authority to initiate arrest proceedings. The fact that such proceedings led to Garner's death is, likewise, not a smoking gun if the officer's actions were within the use of force legal standards (due to Garner's size and the fact that he resisted arrest, the grand jury was more than able to conclude that probable cause didn't exist for an indictment); again, not all homicides are unlawful. So, again, please stop listening to the likes of Al Sharpton and make sure you have an understanding of the proper process and law before concluding otherwise.

Something that can come out of this indictment is a discussion of whether we as a community desire police officers to target certain actions with arrest, etc. But that's a completely different matter than whether an indictment was warranted here.
You're still doing it. You don't need a "smoking gun." You're talking about this like it's a "beyond a reasonable doubt" standard, rather than a much lower "probable cause" standard.

Also what is it with you people's deranged obsession with Al Sharpton?

Old 12-03-2014, 02:14 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,742 posts, read 39,645,962 times
Quote:
No clue. I've mostly heard of him from right-wing types mentioning him.

Old 12-03-2014, 02:17 PM

9,693 posts, read 5,281,426 times
Quote:
You're still doing it. You don't need a "smoking gun." You're talking about this like it's a "beyond a reasonable doubt" standard, rather than a much lower "probable cause" standard.

Ok, you still can't point to anything concrete that I wrote that is incorrect about the grand jury process (the smoking gun in no way references a beyond a reasonable doubt standard and I explicitly mentioned that the grand jury operated under the probable cause many times). Typical of the Sharpton crowd.

Old 12-03-2014, 02:19 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,742 posts, read 39,645,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Ok, you still can't point to anything concrete that I wrote that is incorrect about the grand jury process (the smoking gun in no way references a beyond a reasonable doubt standard and I explicitly mentioned probable cause many times). Typical of the Sharpton crowd.
Why do you keep mentioning Sharpton? You're making no sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or