U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2014, 07:09 PM

74 posts, read 112,290 times

Advertisements

It's 10:00 pm on a Saturday night. I am within steps of the Houston St 1 subway stop and also the Spring Street (C,E) stop. I want to get to Seaford in Long Island (very close to the Seaford LIRR) as fast as possible.

Now if I had all day or night to do it, I could just take the subway to the LIRR and probably spend less than $10 (correct me if I am wrong here anytime as I rant). It looks like if I just take a cab straight away - I could get there in 45 minutes. But - that would cost me probably a $100.

I would like to get there in no later than an hour.

I'm not sure about parting with a hundred to do it. And I am not really sure of how taxis work with regards to leaving Manhattan.

Is there a way to do both and save some money and get there relatively quickly?

Like here's a possibility: Perhaps I can at least take the C (downtown direction) and get somewhere across the East River - and get off at a station (not sure where), and grab a taxi for the rest of the way. But the key is where/what station? I would like it to be a safe area where there could be a lot of cabs - as opposed to walking out the subway exit to an ominous spooky area waiting a long time for a taxi to dare wander by.

Let me know your suggestions. Thanks so much in advance !
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2014, 07:16 PM

15,723 posts, read 23,949,403 times
Not much traffic moving in NYC at the moment. Check the news.

Old 12-04-2014, 10:00 PM

3,849 posts, read 7,292,448 times
For starters, the LIRR alone is $9, so when you factor in the subway fare of $2.50, it becomes $11.50 total (unless you have an unlimited MetroCard).

For the taxi, it's $2 per mile, within city limits, but it's $4 per mile once you're out of the city limits. So doing some rough math, you're talking about 15 miles within the city limits, which is $30, plus another 20 miles outside the city limits, which is $40, so that's $70 total, plus toll and tip. (Keep in mind that very few cabbies would want to go all the way out there). So ultimately, it would probably be close to $100, assuming you could even get a cab.

Honestly, the LIRR isn't that bad. If you can time it right, the LIRR trip is a little under an hour, and the subway ride is maybe 15 minutes. Here's the LIRR schedule: http://web.mta.info/lirr/Timetable/B...ylonBranch.pdf

Old 12-08-2014, 12:48 PM

If I wanted to catch the LIRR - would it be better to catch it at Penn Station, or somewhere in Brooklyn/Queens/Williamsburg?

Old 12-08-2014, 01:15 PM

2,853 posts, read 6,250,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwell2323 View Post
If I wanted to catch the LIRR - would it be better to catch it at Penn Station, or somewhere in Brooklyn/Queens/Williamsburg?

There is no LIRR in Williamsburg. For Brooklyn, the LIRR stops at Atlantic Terminal, Nostrand, and ENY. From Penn Station, depending on the train, you may stop at Woodside, Forest Hills, Kew Gardens, but always Jamaica. That being said, from Tribeca, Penn Station is your best option if you want to take the train. Depending where you are in Tribeca, taking the A express or the 2/3 gets you to Penn Station quickly. Even local on the C/E/1 it's not far..

On your idea about "waiting for a cab" somewhere in Brooklyn or Queens, you could use Uber or order car service.

Why don't you rent a car or do Zipcar?

Old 12-12-2014, 01:51 PM

I just prefer not to drive in NYC if I can avoid it - many reasons. As for Uber - I have never tried it. Is that something I can arrange hours in advance? Could I get Uber to take me from Tribecca to Seaford?

How does it work?

Old 12-12-2014, 02:11 PM

2,853 posts, read 6,250,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwell2323 View Post
I just prefer not to drive in NYC if I can avoid it - many reasons. As for Uber - I have never tried it. Is that something I can arrange hours in advance? Could I get Uber to take me from Tribecca to Seaford?

How does it work?
Uber is an application that allows you to request a cab through your phone. You can put in where you want to go, and then uber cars nearby see the fare request and decide whether to take you. The app then shows you where your car is, when they will be there, and you can also estimate the fare. I've never used it to go further than the airport, and when I did use it, I did it just a few minutes before I needed the ride since the app told me the estimated wait time based on cars in my area was only a few minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or