U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 11:54 AM

2,853 posts, read 6,285,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyccs View Post
That's untrue. Premiums go up (even if slightly) whenever there is a claim with you involved.

That's not true. I had an incident recently where a van pulled out onto Northern Blvd and clip my back bumper. Geico confirmed it wasn't my fault and my premium wouldn't change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2014, 11:58 AM

1,107 posts, read 1,082,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc33433 View Post
That's not true. I had an incident recently where a van pulled out onto Northern Blvd and clip my back bumper. Geico confirmed it wasn't my fault and my premium wouldn't change.
They confirmed over the phone but did you already receive your new policy bill yet?

It's not often one party admits fault. And i made that statement based on my spouse who has allstate and the unpleasant experience of having her premiums go up when she was not at fault in accidents. I have Geico myself and know that they forgive 1 accident a year...so maybe your accident was the 1 forgiveable accident allowed.

Old 12-04-2014, 12:03 PM

20,260 posts, read 26,640,444 times
To all NewYorkers:

Get Rid of the Car!

Old 12-04-2014, 04:32 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,221,408 times
Quote:
That's untrue. Premiums go up (even if slightly) whenever there is a claim with you involved.
You can't make blanket statements like that. Generally speaking, if you were hit from behind, it's not your fault and your premium won't generally rise. However, if your insurance company sees that you seem to be getting hit every month, while the average in your area is, say, once every 3 years, they can indeed raise your rates.

That being said, I've been average about one accident per year here in New York. One my fault (guy slammed on brakes and I hit him), but my premiums have not moved an inch. Knock on wood...

And to answer the OP's question, no the police are not going to issue and ticket or anything as they did not respond to the scene.

Old 12-04-2014, 04:41 PM

2,853 posts, read 6,285,897 times
Quote:
They confirmed over the phone but did you already receive your new policy bill yet?

It's not often one party admits fault. And i made that statement based on my spouse who has allstate and the unpleasant experience of having her premiums go up when she was not at fault in accidents. I have Geico myself and know that they forgive 1 accident a year...so maybe your accident was the 1 forgiveable accident allowed.

I did get the renewed policy bill a couple weeks ago. My six month policy actually was up December. This accident happened at the end of October. No change in the premium. Perhaps it varies by insurance carrier? I haven't owned a car very long. It was my only time ever involved in an accident so perhaps it's your "one a year" forgiveness, but they explained it to me as it wouldn't rise if the accident wasn't my fault.

Old 12-04-2014, 04:43 PM

65,159 posts, read 66,627,810 times
whether your premium rises in an accident or not is up to your insurer ,some are quite forgiving.

however having said that i will tell you this. any money paid out by your insurer and not fully recovered from the other company will be reported to clue regardless of fault. that includes comprehensive claims and glass.

you can't be raised in ny for comprehensive claims but you can be dropped as well as charged up the kazoo by a new insurer based on them appearing on your clue report.

if you shop for insurance or get dropped and need new insurance that clue report is like your credit score and any dings can cost you big time.

fault does not matter ,only claims your insurer paid on your behalf is what counts.

Last edited by mathjak107; 12-04-2014 at 04:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City