U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2014, 05:22 PM

10,630 posts, read 20,764,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Really ? Do elaborate.
Probably best not to encourage the troll behavior.

Old 12-04-2014, 05:32 PM

9,832 posts, read 7,329,827 times
Quote:
"The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men"
Basically, f@%k your commute. These citizens have a right to assemble, and I'm with them 100%.

Old 12-04-2014, 05:33 PM

23,265 posts, read 16,096,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by q41apartments View Post
Listen miss hopeful, it's been decades but do people not clutch their purses a little tighter when a person of color comes into the same elevator? I still get nasty looks for wearing purple lipstick. It is what it is!!!!

Certain things and certain people of certain color illicit negative connotations. It's the unfortunate reality.

What happened to Occupy wall Street? Nothing came of that..
Not entirely true. Occupy for the first time reintroduced poverty and economic disparities into politics in the USA. Obama rode that wave to reelection in 2012. De Blasio used occupy rhetoric in his campaign, and he is the mayor now. A mayor who dropped the appeal a judge who ruled against the city on Bloomberg's version of Stop and Frisk.

One of the protesters from Occupy won a lawsuit against Fox that has basically ended unpaid internships in Hollywood. Companies are now paying the minimum wage or ending the intern programs altogether.

http://www.newsweek.com/unpaid-inter...awsuits-257025

Old 12-04-2014, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Basically, f@%k your commute. These citizens have a right to assemble, and I'm with them 100%.
Bingo!

Old 12-04-2014, 06:10 PM

913 posts, read 1,693,416 times
It's been decades since Martin Luther King died and people are still clutching their purse when they encounter swagger.

Swagger is a negative connotation that illicits anger and fear and that's why people act more aggressive towards it. Seeing some skinny, goofy Caucasian guy selling loose cigarettes wouldn't make a cop want to put anyone in a choke hold because that is NOT threatening. I know it and you know it, so let's not play dumb. I'm just keeping it real!!!

Old 12-04-2014, 06:19 PM

Quote:
It's been decades since Martin Luther King died and people are still clutching their purse when they encounter swagger.

Swagger is a negative connotation that illicits anger and fear and that's why people act more aggressive towards it. Seeing some skinny, goofy Caucasian guy selling loose cigarettes wouldn't make a cop want to put anyone in a choke hold because that is NOT threatening. I know it and you know it, so let's not play dumb. I'm just keeping it real!!!
And it's been decades since Martin Luther King died and Obama is President, Holder is Attorney General, Sotomayor is on the Supreme Court.

Who cares if someone clutches their person if they encounter swagger?

And that is very real!

And the protesters got to you. They disrupted your commute and have you creating threads on City Data about it. A lot of people posted in support of them! So clearly the word is being spread and you're actual a part of it.

Old 12-04-2014, 06:23 PM

8,242 posts, read 8,515,564 times
Wow, how self-centered can you get?

Old 12-04-2014, 06:24 PM

18,677 posts, read 16,455,130 times
Amen, RaymandChandler.

A tough commute..boo hoo.

Old 12-04-2014, 06:32 PM

913 posts, read 1,693,416 times
I'm all for the protest because it's an important cause and Garner should not have had excessive force used on him, but protest peacefully. There's no need to interrupt people's rush hour commute. I'm sure if the situation was reversed, the protestors wouldn't appreciate someone ruining their commute and vice verse.

Using the clutch purse as an example of how the public perceives swagger and how they don't do that with Caucasian because they know it's less threatening and less violent.

Once again, I'm for the protest if done properly. Going about title the wrong way only makes people take them less seriously. Like rioting and looting.

Old 12-04-2014, 06:37 PM

113 posts, read 103,707 times
Quote:
I'm all for the protest because it's an important cause and Garner should not have had excessive force used on him, but protest peacefully. There's no need to interrupt people's rush hour commute. I'm sure if the situation was reversed, the protestors wouldn't appreciate someone ruining their commute and vice verse.

Using the clutch purse as an example of how the public perceives swagger and how they don't do that with Caucasian because they know it's less threatening and less violent.

Once again, I'm for the protest if done properly. Going about title the wrong way only makes people take them less seriously. Like rioting and looting.
Protestors/commute isn't a phrase that goes together. None of them have real jobs it's a bunch of professional agitators and naive college kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City