U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 02:07 PM

7 posts, read 12,326 times

Advertisements

I have done a lot of research on this topic but want to know where most people with families live who commute to the financial district. I recently got a new job and will be relocating with my husband and almost three year old daughter. I would like to minimize my commute time as much as possible, an hour door to door would be my max. While I am familiar with LI and most parts of the city (incl. all,of the boroughs), I am clueless about living in NJ, CT or Westchester. My husband prefers to not be in any of the boroughs which I know makes it tough but Can you guys recommend some family areas with and hr. commute or less, and good schools and preschools? We are strongly considering Greenwich and I am trying to convince him to consider Park Slope or Bayside but can anyone recommend other areas in maybe NJ or Westchester? Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2014, 02:49 PM

8,476 posts, read 20,311,047 times
Staten Island.

Forget Ct,Bayside or Long Island if you are looking for an under 1 hour door to door commute.Western Brooklyn or NJ are also possible.

Old 12-05-2014, 02:56 PM

3,525 posts, read 3,028,675 times
Are you looking to buy a house with a yard in a suburban area, rent a nice house somewhere or is apartment living OK? What's your housing budget?

Old 12-05-2014, 03:57 PM

570 posts, read 513,470 times
I like the W Brooklyn idea.

My vote goes for whoever has the long commute gets to make the call on where to live.

Old 12-06-2014, 06:31 AM

327 posts, read 401,907 times
Staten Island, but do your research on where to live. If you can find a place near the train and express bus routes, it'll give you options to see which you prefer. Sometimes the train/ferry is the better option, sometimes the express bus route is the better option. I think Staten Island will give you the most bang for your buck in NYC if you buy/rent a house. Also, ample and free parking in most areas helps if you have a car.

Old 12-06-2014, 07:21 AM

55,578 posts, read 54,174,429 times
An hour door-to-door from the nicer towns with the better schools in Jersey is a little tough, but you wouldn't have to tack on too much more time. As an example, I commuted from Ridgewood, NJ--sort of the quintessential New Jersey suburb, long established commuter town, good schools, quaint "village" downtown--to the World Trade Center for a couple of decades. It was about an hour and 10 to and hour and 20 door to door. Trains on the line that serves Ridgewood go to Hoboken, and then you take PATH to the trade center.

You may get more choices from people who are familiar with other towns if you also post this question on the Jersey forum.

Old 12-06-2014, 08:17 AM

7 posts, read 12,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
Are you looking to buy a house with a yard in a suburban area, rent a nice house somewhere or is apartment living OK? What's your housing budget?
We want to rent until we are sure we like the area enough to buy. We are fine with apartment living but in a suburban area. For example, I used to live in an Avalon Community on Long Island and loved it. An apartment or townhouse setup like that would be perfect, he is just kind of opposed to a giant ugly brick building with hundreds of apartments. Our rental budget is probably around $3,000/Mo. That's flexible though, depending on the area. Obviously I know some areas that is bare minimums and We would a lot more money if needed.

To the person who said take CT out, why is that? The metro north website says it's a 40 minute express train ride to GC and than the subway of course but that wouldn't be too bad. Or is that usually not the case? Staten Island is off the table because the good schools are far and few between and I am not a fan of a lot of the areas there. As for Ridgewood, NJ I noticed a lot of people suggest that for family living so it is on my list but I wasn't sure of actual commuter times so that was helpful, thank you.

Old 12-06-2014, 08:52 AM

3,525 posts, read 3,028,675 times
If apartment living and a very easy and fast commute to lower Manhattan is OK, then consider Jersey City. There are many newer apartment buildings with spacious units and with amenities like balconies, indoor swimming pools, gyms and easy parking. There are also townhouse communities with private garages. Schools are not the best but improving.

If a house in a very nice suburb with really good schools and a fast commute to lower Manhattan is OK, then consider communities in Monmouth County like Middletown, Matawan and Holmdel. You commute by a fast ferry from Belford (New York Waterways) or Atlantic Highlands (Seatreak Ferries). See below.

Seastreak Ferry New Jersey, New York and New Bedford, Martha's Vineyard

Belford / Harbor Way

Old 12-06-2014, 09:19 AM

11,227 posts, read 21,660,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danij1313 View Post
To the person who said take CT out, why is that? The metro north website says it's a 40 minute express train ride to GC and than the subway of course but that wouldn't be too bad.
I am not sure about commuting from CT, but I do know that when I look at commute times in the city, I have to add a significant amount of time to just the "train time" to figure out what the actual travel time will be. For instance, I live in a Queens neighborhood where the E and F trains are only 12 minutes "train time" to 53rd and Lex and 59th and Lex. However, when I go into Manhattan for something, I always give myself 45 to 60 minutes to get there. You have to figure in time to get to departure station (actual platform), then time to wait for a train, time transferring if you need a second line, actual travel time, and time exiting the arrival station and then walking to destination.

So I can see how a 40 minute actual train time could easily turn into more than an hour or even 90 minutes of commuting, depending on all of the above factors.

Old 12-06-2014, 09:28 AM

9,701 posts, read 7,202,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danij1313 View Post
The metro north website says it's a 40 minute express train ride to GC and than the subway of course but that wouldn't be too bad.
The only place in CT where the commute is that short is Greenwich, and that's only if you take an express train, and only if you live close to the station with the express train.

If you have the money for something nice in Greenwich close to the main station, then go for it. Better have serious assets, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or