U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 06:57 PM

2,270 posts, read 2,216,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottaq View Post
any serious answers to my question lol?

How can we tell that far in the future (i.e., 500+ years) as to what advances in technology and in human adaptation will come to prevail by then? Even the most accomplished scientists and futurists can only make guesses.

For all anyone knows:

• The planet Earth itself or our solar system or the universe itself may not be here by then . . . or even well before then. For example:
In an artcile in 2014 in the Boston Globe, physicist Stephen Hawking had said about the Higgs boson or Higgs particle: "The Higgs potential has the worrisome feature that it might become metastable at energies above 100bn gigaelectronvolts. This could mean that the universe could undergo catastrophic vacuum decay, with a bubble of the true vacuum expanding at the speed of light. This could happen at any time and we wouldn’t see it coming.So the Higgs boson may have the potential, at speeds far beyond our capabilities to produce at present, to start a chain reaction to destroy the universe. So if this happens, it almost certainly won’t be our fault. But according to a physicist quoted by the Christian Science Monitor, it could have already happened in space and we’d never know:
“Most likely it will take 10 to the 100 years [a 1 followed by 100 zeroes] for this to happen, so probably you shouldn’t sell your house and you should continue to pay your taxes,” Joseph Lykken, a theoretical physicist at the Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory in Batavia, Illinois, said during his lecture at the SETI Institute on Sept. 2, 2014. “On the other hand it may already happened, and the bubble might be on its way here now. And you won’t know because it’s going at the speed of light so there’s not going to be any warning.”

(boldfacing and italics added by myself)
The article concluded by saying: “If you’re measuring the risk involved with the Higgs boson, we’re officially at the ‘anything could happen’ line of argument.”

• The Earth itself might still be here in 500 or 500+ years but there may be much less food supply to sustain a too high level of human population and hence much lower population levels may prevail by then (for all we know). This may well be because of the effects of global climate change and other factors. And with the effects of the ongoing global climate change from our present time until 500+ years from now, who knows how habitable many parts of the Earth's surface areas will be for humans by then?

and a host of other factors I could come up with if I took more time.

In summary, the factors affecting New York City's existence may well affect the entire planet or at least the coastal areas along or nearly adjacent to the oceanfronts and then going inland for some miles. So New York City is not alone in these concerns. No place on the entire planet Earth is totally immune from geophysical disturbances, not to mention climatic disturbances.

And then we all know that New York City is a prime target of attack for all the myriad enemies of the USA now and in the future (as we all know or can figure out). This can mean nuclear attacks, chemical-biological attacks, attacks on the power grid and the infrastructure, conventional bombings, arson attacks, and so on.

Last edited by UsAll; 12-08-2014 at 07:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2014, 07:16 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,750 posts, read 39,666,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
In Futurama, NYC was alive and well much more the 500 years from now, so...
/thread

Old 12-09-2014, 08:01 AM

20,159 posts, read 26,453,489 times
I wonder if we will still be bombing the Middle East?

Old 12-12-2014, 06:50 AM

2 posts, read 2,061 times
I don't think we have to worry about that because with every nation at the near end of the construction of nuclear based weaponry and militia and our government stripping us of our civil liberties to PROVOKE civil war, the hope of 500+ years happening is virtually non-existent. I'd also like to add, though I am not a religious person or a conspiracy theorist, I do read the bible. According to scripture, we are LITERALLY living in the last pages of the book of Revelations. I don't know about no outrageous show of magical events, but the scriptures does note a threat of human extinction. Whether all of that is true, I can't be sure. However, in case there is some truth to that, no reason to not be aware and live each day one at a time.

Old 12-14-2014, 10:46 AM

535 posts, read 514,740 times
Who knows. America is a young country, really 50 countries in 1. Who knows what will happen.

Old 12-15-2014, 06:36 AM

20,159 posts, read 26,453,489 times
I think the first germane questions to be asked is what will be the peak population attained by the planet and when will it occur....20 Billion, 40 Billion in 2100...or 2514.

A sidebar question is what force will stop the growth, and will this force be manageable or will it deal a fatal blow?

Will New York City triple or quadruple in population in that kind of timeframe? With such incredible density probably extending from Montauk to the Delaware River, can one even imagine a City buried in the middle?

Does NYC really think that the rest of the country and the world will give it what it needs in exchange for moving ownership papers around?

When a food crisis threatens the extermination of a billion people in a year, does anyone think they "will go gentle into that dark night?"

<What we can all be grateful for is that we won't have to live through it.>

I am an atheist but the post that talks about "the end times" strikes a chord with me.

Remember too that we are making enemies all around the world at a furious rate. Unfortunately for us, nobody has moved Ground Zero so NYC might be the very first domino to fall rather than the last.

As to the "technology will save is" posting. When has technology every moved us forward? Over and over again it has made matters worse.

Old 12-15-2014, 06:47 AM

595 posts, read 426,434 times
Most empires last 200 to 400 years. Empires have an increased likelihood of falling the older they get.

http://www.uvm.edu/~pdodds/files/pap...esman2011a.pdf

Old 12-15-2014, 08:19 AM

15,675 posts, read 18,232,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboibob View Post
Most empires last 200 to 400 years. Empires have an increased likelihood of falling the older they get.

http://www.uvm.edu/~pdodds/files/pap...esman2011a.pdf
But Rome and London, for example, have been around for much longer than that.

Old 12-15-2014, 10:10 AM

11,831 posts, read 7,711,618 times
NYC will be under sea water in 500 years.

Old 12-15-2014, 12:23 PM

595 posts, read 426,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
But Rome and London, for example, have been around for much longer than that.
Just because the city exists doesn't mean it was productive for its entire existence.

Is today's Detroit the same as 1950's Detroit? It's still there but a totally different city.

Was 200ad rome the same as 400 ad Rome? (One was safe, another ran high chances of being impaled by Germanic barbarians)

NYC being overrun by barbarians makes it just as uninhabitable as if there was a major earthquake
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or