U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 06:57 PM

98 posts, read 128,749 times

Advertisements

Anyone know what building this is for? I wish they would just tell you where it is.

New York Daily News *| Classifieds
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2014, 04:55 AM

20,144 posts, read 26,425,454 times
Doing Some backward researching my guess is that it is for ESPLANADE GARDENS because one of the links with the same info was esplanade.pdf.

EG is around 148 between Adam Claytom Powell and Malcom X...right on the Harlem River.

I doubt this is prime real estate and that might be the reason the ads don't mention location.

Old 12-10-2014, 03:24 PM

98 posts, read 128,749 times
That's the one thing I don't like about Mitchell Lamas. They tend to be in not so great areas

Old 02-04-2015, 06:53 AM

32 posts, read 40,920 times
Has anyone recieved anything regarding this place? The postcards were due December 27th.

Old 02-04-2015, 08:15 AM

1,746 posts, read 3,422,071 times
It's in a better spot than a lot of people live. You can always apply and deny it later.

Old 02-04-2015, 11:47 AM

110 posts, read 165,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexAveExp5 View Post
Anyone know what building this is for? I wish they would just tell you where it is.

New York Daily News *| Classifieds
I'm wondering about this one too! Definitely not my ideal location, but I figured if I'm lucky enough to get in I'll check out the area/complex and see how I feel about it. Still an amazing deal, but I would only consider if if I feel safe!

I feel like people should start getting their letters pretty soon. I got into the Masaryk Towers lottery and it took about 6 weeks to get my letter

Old 02-04-2015, 12:17 PM
DAS

2,530 posts, read 5,824,659 times
If you feel safe living in a tenement style building in Hamilton Heights, you would feel safe living "down the hill" in Esplanade Gardens. For a native Harlemite before the luxury condos and coops were built in this millennium, this was the place to aspire to.

It has large apts, parking, and a seasonal pool, and a supermarket. Most of the people that live there are very, what we call bougie. Slang for bourgeoisie. Many teachers, nurses, cops, postal workers, and many private sector professionals live there. Many are members of the elite Harlem churches.

Crime is low in the complex. Rarely do people move out. Some older people maybe passing on and some apts have become available.

Easy trip to Yankee stadium and the subway #3 train is right there.

Old 02-04-2015, 01:37 PM

4,133 posts, read 5,945,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
If you feel safe living in a tenement style building in Hamilton Heights, you would feel safe living "down the hill" in Esplanade Gardens. For a native Harlemite before the luxury condos and coops were built in this millennium, this was the place to aspire to.

It has large apts, parking, and a seasonal pool, and a supermarket. Most of the people that live there are very, what we call bougie. Slang for bourgeoisie. Many teachers, nurses, cops, postal workers, and many private sector professionals live there. Many are members of the elite Harlem churches.

Crime is low in the complex. Rarely do people move out. Some older people maybe passing on and some apts have become available.

Easy trip to Yankee stadium and the subway #3 train is right there.
This is so true. I know a few families in Esplanade and this is more or less an accurate description, though I don't think its quite as bougie as all that, mostly solid, working-class, aspirational people like you'd find in any Mitchell-lama complex in other parts of the city. I don't know how "elite" the place is anymore, but it's basically a safe, clean, nice place to live. You could do far, far worse.

Old 02-04-2015, 02:04 PM
DAS

2,530 posts, read 5,824,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
This is so true. I know a few families in Esplanade and this is more or less an accurate description, though I don't think its quite as bougie as all that, mostly solid, working-class, aspirational people like you'd find in any Mitchell-lama complex in other parts of the city. I don't know how "elite" the place is anymore, but it's basically a safe, clean, nice place to live. You could do far, far worse.
I was stating bougie with tongue in cheek. People will move into Harlem and live in many areas of it that are really not that safe, and walk up 5 flights of stairs to take laundry outside to wash and back home again. They post about the restaurants and other new places opening up around them. Where a place like Esplanade has many conveniences.

I stated some residents are members of elite Harlem churches, to emphasize that it is a safe and clean place. Not that Esplanade was elite.

Old 02-23-2015, 03:06 PM

110 posts, read 165,213 times
Anyone hear back on this yet?? I'm still hoping to get a letter, but nothing so far! I won't lose all hope til I hear people on here have started getting letters back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City