U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 08:43 PM

2 posts, read 3,040 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am moving from Detroit to Long Island. My fiance is likely going to get a job in the city, and my job is in Melville. I don't think the areas on Long Island are worth the rent - there's not much of an atmosphere, so I thought Queens might be a decent choice while still a manageable commute.

Which part of Queens is best to look in? We're looking for somewhere to rent, affordable but safe, with places to eat/go out, somewhat walkable, although we'll own cars. (We're mid-20s, no kids, so I don't care about schools). We also have a small dog, which is making it tricky as a lot of buildings don't allow dogs.

I've heard Forest Hills is good, but then some people are telling me it's boring. I've also heard a lot about Astoria, but I'm worried the traffic from Astoria might be too much or it might be too expensive.

Is there anywhere else I should consider? If you've lived there, where would you recommend for someone like us? [I'm not interested in Brooklyn].

Thanks,
Jenni
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2014, 09:13 PM

47 posts, read 74,856 times
Bayside may be worth checking out as well although there are less public transit options. It'd be a better choice for your car commute.
Forest hills may not be as fun as astoria but you'll soon tire of commuting to LIE ex 49 through all of queens and nassau even if it's a reverse commute. I'd go with eastern queens.

Old 12-05-2014, 10:58 PM

4,841 posts, read 7,858,770 times
Unfortunately unlike Brooklyn or Manhattan most of Queens is boring. I recommend Bayside since it shouldn't be too far from Melville. Sunnyside is also fairly affordable.

Honestly thought Long Island is much better. Better QOL, Schools (although this isn't a factor) and less congestion. LI is also much more car friendly (and by that I mean the politicians aren't trying to force everyone to take slow crappy buses or dangerous subways). You should give it a second thought. Really the only reason to choose Queens would be to be closer to Brooklyn or Manhattan. LI is also much better for dogs, as most places should allow one.

Old 12-05-2014, 11:25 PM

852 posts, read 810,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
Unfortunately unlike Brooklyn or Manhattan most of Queens is boring. I recommend Bayside since it shouldn't be too far from Melville. Sunnyside is also fairly affordable.

Honestly thought Long Island is much better. Better QOL, Schools (although this isn't a factor) and less congestion. LI is also much more car friendly (and by that I mean the politicians aren't trying to force everyone to take slow crappy buses or dangerous subways). You should give it a second thought. Really the only reason to choose Queens would be to be closer to Brooklyn or Manhattan. LI is also much better for dogs, as most places should allow one.
QOL is extremely subjective. I live in Astoria. I'm a 5/10 minute walk away from supermarkets/restaurants/bars/ movietheater/etc.,etc. And I'm a short train ride away from work in Manhattan. I could easily sell my house and buy myself a huge house with plenty of space on LI, but if I did that, my QOL would go down dramatically. I would go crazy if I needed a car to do something as simple as making a milk run. I'd also probably go on a homicidal rampage if I had to sit in rush hr traffic in to/out of Manhattan everyday or pay through the roof for the daily LIR commute.

OP, if you want a city life, stick to Queens (if you ruled out Brooklyn and Manhattan.) If you want suburban amenities, like a huge yard or a plethora of parking, Long Island would suit you better.

Forest Hills, especially the south side, is one of the nicest areas in Queens but it's definitely family oriented. For a young couple in their 20s with no kids, that might get a bit boring. Astoria and Long Island City have recently experienced a surge in new developments (specifically LIC) and have attracted a growing population of young professionals. Both neighborhoods have been evolving to better serve that new demographic.

It terms of commute times, LIC and Astoria will both provide a short train ride into Manhattan. However, your commute to Melville will be a bit tricky. You won't get hit with the brunt of rush hours since it is a reverse commute, but it will really depend on the time of your commute. My nephew took some summer courses at Stony Brook, and his commute time from Astoria was around 45 minutes (his classes started at 10 am.) Stony Brook is a bit farther from Astoria than Melville, but I suspect my nephew sped most of the way. Expect a similar, if not shorter, commute to Melville if you choose either LIC or Astoria.

Last edited by Astorian31; 12-05-2014 at 11:37 PM..

Old 12-06-2014, 04:59 AM

1,424 posts, read 1,629,429 times
Yeah, I would really give Long Island a second thought. There are some really gorgeous, fun, walkable and excellent parts of Long Island like Babylon, Rockville Centre and Huntington Village.

Even though Melville is not that far from Queens, the highway traffic could really get horrific (and Melville has ZERO train access and horrific public transportation options so you MUST have a car).

Old 12-06-2014, 05:01 AM

30,325 posts, read 31,191,100 times
The Forest Hills/Rego Park neighborhoods have plenty of restaurants and shopping. Forest Hills also has 2 multiplex movie theaters as well as an LIRR station. So it really depends on what your definition of boring is.

Old 12-06-2014, 05:31 AM

9,886 posts, read 7,681,611 times
Forest Hills has very quick access to multiple highways to make way towards Long Island with its close proximity to the Kew Gardens interchange. And has the subway for the Manhattan commute. You have Austin st which has a fair amount of bars. If for whatever reason you need to take the LIRR to Farmingdale, i.e. snowstorm, you'll have that option as well.

Old 12-11-2014, 10:57 PM

2 posts, read 3,040 times
Thanks guys. The reason I don't want to live all the way out by Melville is that my fiancé will be (most likely) working in Manhattan. Since it's my job that brought us here, I figured I should take the hard commute! I'm pretty familiar with the drive since my flights always come in right at 7:45 to LaGuardia (shudder).

We're not really in the "party" stage anymore, so sounds like FH might have the things we are looking for. I noticed Rego Park seems a lot cheaper. Is there a reason for that?

Old 12-12-2014, 12:51 AM

4,841 posts, read 7,858,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennichelenyak View Post
Thanks guys. The reason I don't want to live all the way out by Melville is that my fiancé will be (most likely) working in Manhattan. Since it's my job that brought us here, I figured I should take the hard commute! I'm pretty familiar with the drive since my flights always come in right at 7:45 to LaGuardia (shudder).

We're not really in the "party" stage anymore, so sounds like FH might have the things we are looking for. I noticed Rego Park seems a lot cheaper. Is there a reason for that?
Rego Park is a very good neighborhood, it just isn't considered as desirable as Forest Hills.

Old 12-12-2014, 01:17 AM

4,925 posts, read 4,589,926 times
Forest Hills is home to many Jewish people like me and Russians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or