U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 09:46 PM

274 posts, read 221,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I come from an era where a cop wouldn't ticket you for drinking on the street - they had more important stuff to deal with at the time; the most they would tell you to do is pour it out. I get where he's coming from.
But it's time to be a MAN and face responsibility for breaking the law. Should we just ignore smaller crimes? Black market sales? Where does it end?!

This country is in deep trouble. Because nowadays, people think they are entitled to break smaller laws because, ya know, "those laws are for everyone else,not me"

I am not going to be politically correct with anyone. The truth is the truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2014, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Stats tell us 18-30 year old men commit the most murders.that is why crime is down vs 80s and 90s, when % of pop 18-30 male was higher. Why haven't we cut pd sizes given the inevitable drop in crime?
I still see crime all the time. Even with the large police force (arguably) there are still tons of crime and tons of nutcases on the streets in broad daylight that nobody is around to stop. You want to cut the police force? criminals will have a field day!!

I can walk 30 city blocks and not see a cop or patrol car. I wouldn't say they are really that large of a force. my buddy is a cop in Brooklyn. He said the area he has to patrol is very large and he has very little impact on what goes down because it is just him and his partner cover many blocks on their own

Old 12-07-2014, 09:54 PM

18,677 posts, read 16,464,849 times
NYC is on pace for a record low murder total. 1/6th its rate of 1980s, when 18-30 male % maxed out.

Not a coincidence.

Old 12-07-2014, 10:05 PM

19,314 posts, read 32,792,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xTiberiusx View Post
But it's time to be a MAN and face responsibility for breaking the law. Should we just ignore smaller crimes? Black market sales? Where does it end?!

This country is in deep trouble. Because nowadays, people think they are entitled to break smaller laws because, ya know, "those laws are for everyone else,not me"

I am not going to be politically correct with anyone. The truth is the truth.
Don't get me wrong - if I get a ticket I don't complain I just pay it. Everything must evolve and change, including law enforcement tactics.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-07-2014, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Even with the large police force (arguably) there are still tons of crime and tons of nutcases on the streets in broad daylight that nobody is around to stop.
I will say that currently the city has a huge problem with the mentally ill roaming the subways...

Old 12-07-2014, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Don't get me wrong - if I get a ticket I don't complain I just pay it. Everything must evolve and change, including law enforcement tactics.
What are the other options? Place only black officers in black neighborhoods? That has its own drawbacks.

Old 12-07-2014, 10:15 PM

Quote:
What are the other options? Place only black officers in black neighborhoods? That has its own drawbacks.
Nahh I don't think that will help. Doesn't matter the color of the officer, nobody likes getting a ticket or getting arrested anyway.

The problem with NYPD started when they lowered the pay scale to $25K and lowered their requirements. They used to even have a height requirement, that went away. We got too soft and PC. The body cameras will be a big help though.

Old 12-07-2014, 10:29 PM

23,276 posts, read 16,124,122 times
Quote:
I will say that currently the city has a huge problem with the mentally ill roaming the subways...
Oh, and you can't ticket the mentally ill because they won't pay the ticket. Arrest them and the courts will just put them out in the streets.

It's stupid to arrest people for so called crimes like selling loosies and drinking in the streets while doing absolutely nothing about the huge homeless population, some of whom are mentally ill to the point of being dangerous.

Again the cops need to do what they would have done in the 80s, go deal with REAL crimes!

Old 12-07-2014, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Focus law enforcement activities on violent crimes, legalize marijuana, stop creating stupid laws like selling loosies is an arrestable offense, etc.

Old 12-07-2014, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
NYC is on pace for a record low murder total. 1/6th its rate of 1980s, when 18-30 male % maxed out.

Not a coincidence.
Misandry (male bashing, male hating) isn't cool dude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City