Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 04:01 PM

7,808 posts, read 6,386,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
So with NYC as divided as this board. What's the next step for the Commish and Mayor. Few suggestions on my part. I bounced them off some cops last night at work. They shook their heads no until I mentioned raises. ( I am not a cop btw).
1. The people have spoken loud and clear especially in areas of Color. It really is the time to scale back aggressive policing. IMO, This will bring down ccrb's, lawsuits, and deaths involving the NYPD.
2. The city paid over 225 MILLION dollars in lawsuits pertaining to the cops. Not saying the lawsuits were justified but still that's what we the taxpayer paid. Think if we could scale that back to under 50 million? Raises for cops, fireman, teachers and other workers. Lower taxes for city dwellers.
3. Reward cops who have zero complaints or lawsuits against them. Money usually is the driving force on how people think.
4. Eliminate all monitoring and quotas on cops. Cops should not be punished if they don't stop people or make arrests. Maybe those cops rather use discretion and enjoy more of the community policing aspect.
5. Make people who call 911 give their names. Too often someone will call 911 on something with anonymity. This is what got the whole ball rolling with SI and the kid in Cleveland with the toy gun.
6. Make all CITY workers wear body cameras. Cops, Fireman, and Teachers. That way the public can see who really is disruptive in the class room. ( Kid or the teacher). See if the FDNY are racist in administering aid or responding to fires.
At the end of the day this present system is done. Too much vitriol on both sides. Time for scaling back.
Comrade DeBlasio should also wear a body camera at all times. Politicians shouldn't be having private meetings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2014, 05:18 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,954,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
Every precinct has a handful of officers assigned to handle "conditions". Basically, the pair of officers in the Garner case appear to have been handling a typical nuisance call, whether it was directly from the local merchants, who pay rent & taxes on sold cigarettes, or indirectly from the higher-ups in the NYPD, as a result of those same merchant calls. Other patrol units may have calls stacked up, but the special units don't handle those, unless there's a call for assistance. As you can see in the Garner video, it took a few minutes for uniformed officers and a supervisor to arrive.

It seems that his gun fired accidentally. Housing Authority takes forever to respond to maintenance issues, whether it's broken lights, elevators, entrance doors, etc. Probably because as soon as something is fixed, it gets broken again. Why? Some people in the PJs don't want lights, or door locks, or cameras. Let's see often the new cameras get broken, fixed, and broken again. As for evicting criminals, NYC winds up placing them in homeless shelters, due to litigation from the do-gooders. The PJs are responsible for a large percentage of crime in NYC. Many NYCers might be happy to see more police in their neighborhoods, and fewer in Housing, but then the city & NYPD would be accused of ignoring the PJs.
At this point many New Yorkers would be happy to see less police in their neighborhoods.

In the 1980s it would have been 100% laughable, as another posted pointed out, for someone to call the cops on someone for selling loose cigarettes. It wouldn't have matter if a merchant called the police, the cops would have replied that they bigger fish to fry and would have ignored the request.

Also, the loosie market back then wasn't as big because cigarettes were not so heavily taxes then. Bloomberg's high cig taxes simply created a black market that will NOT go away. Bloomberg specifically created a law to go after those selling loosies, and look at the political damage it's done to NYC already.

Old 12-07-2014, 06:32 PM

2,228 posts, read 3,687,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
Comrade DeBlasio should also wear a body camera at all times. Politicians shouldn't be having private meetings.
I agree 100%. I honestly feel ALL city workers should wear body cams. This will prevent abuse and unwarranted lawsuits. Reward the workers who seem to work for years without a single complaint.

Old 12-07-2014, 06:36 PM

2,228 posts, read 3,687,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
At this point many New Yorkers would be happy to see less police in their neighborhoods.

In the 1980s it would have been 100% laughable, as another posted pointed out, for someone to call the cops on someone for selling loose cigarettes. It wouldn't have matter if a merchant called the police, the cops would have replied that they bigger fish to fry and would have ignored the request.

Also, the loosie market back then wasn't as big because cigarettes were not so heavily taxes then. Bloomberg's high cig taxes simply created a black market that will NOT go away. Bloomberg specifically created a law to go after those selling loosies, and look at the political damage it's done to NYC already.
I concur! Listen have community boards that want more cops speak out. Others that want less will get less. Right now rookie cops in Norwood allegedly 52pct, have to generate 30 tickets, 3 arrests and 2 stops a month. Talking about creating a quota and a slippery slope.

Old 12-07-2014, 07:20 PM

557 posts, read 736,219 times
Pull all the cops out of the minority neighborhoods and let them kill each other just like in the great 80's. Plus if your on probation or parole you should have to wear a body camera, thugs action should be taped and viewed also

Old 12-07-2014, 07:24 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,954,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxrider View Post
Pull all the cops out of the minority neighborhoods and let them kill each other just like in the great 80's. Plus if your on probation or parole you should have to wear a body camera, thugs action should be taped and viewed also
Apparently there's not much need for them if cops have the time to investigate people selling LOOSE CIGARETTES!

So definitely, reduce the police force, reduce the number of people locked up in jail and save taxpayer money. Many of the poor minorities arrested are in trouble for non violent crimes, like Eric Gardner and much of this has to do with simple stuff like weed and even loosies. Killing a man for selling loosies. Shame, shame, shame.

Old 12-07-2014, 07:39 PM

19,024 posts, read 13,932,533 times
Put cameras on EVERYONE! Brave New World, 1984, THX-1138. It is inevitable anyway the way we're going...

Old 12-07-2014, 08:37 PM

274 posts, read 297,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Apparently there's not much need for them if cops have the time to investigate people selling LOOSE CIGARETTES!

So definitely, reduce the police force, reduce the number of people locked up in jail and save taxpayer money. Many of the poor minorities arrested are in trouble for non violent crimes, like Eric Gardner and much of this has to do with simple stuff like weed and even loosies. Killing a man for selling loosies. Shame, shame, shame.
Dude, you generally make decent points on this forum. But right now, you sound straight up ignorant.

Selling loosies is against the law. I once was ticketed for having a crack on my windhsield (like who gives a flock?!?) But it is still illegal and I knew I was guilty. I didn't sit there and say "but...but some people commit murder, leave me alone and go deal with bigger crimes."

Law is the law.

The whinning is really at an all time high.

Old 12-07-2014, 08:41 PM

33,995 posts, read 47,230,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xTiberiusx View Post
Dude, you generally make decent points on this forum. But right now, you sound straight up ignorant.

Selling loosies is against the law. I once was ticketed for having a crack on my windhsield (like who gives a flock?!?) But it is still illegal and I knew I was guilty. I didn't sit there and say "but...but some people commit murder, leave me alone and go deal with bigger crimes."

Law is the law.

The whinning is really at an all time high.
I come from an era where a cop wouldn't ticket you for drinking on the street - they had more important stuff to deal with at the time; the most they would tell you to do is pour it out. I get where he's coming from.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-07-2014, 08:43 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,961,065 times
Stats tell us 18-30 year old men commit the most murders.that is why crime is down vs 80s and 90s, when % of pop 18-30 male was higher. Why haven't we cut pd sizes given the inevitable drop in crime?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City