U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2014, 06:23 PM

2,721 posts, read 2,145,129 times

Advertisements

That makes absolutely no sense. Does Macy's have some huge political clout I am unaware of, where they will now lobby for black criminals to stop being killed by police?

No, they will likely lay off low wage workers if revenues are down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
I think that's the point. hit the money
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2014, 06:25 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,402,860 times
that did not trouble them when they torched black businesses and churches in ferguson. it probably wont bother them in NYC
https://tribkcpq.files.wordpress.com...on-looting.jpg

historically wreaking financial havoc on the societies that support them have been the best way to get mega federal infusions of money into the poor urban areas. nothing has changed.

Old 12-06-2014, 06:26 PM

6,963 posts, read 5,438,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
I
I will say, I'm sorry Giuliani isn't the mayor handling this. He would have had these protests, bottled up and shut down by now. .

And then there would have been Ferguson. Its the very fact that MULTI ETHNIC protestors feel free to do so is why there has been peace.

Better a merchant in NYC who loses a few shopping days, than one in Ferguson who has lost his entire store.

Old 12-06-2014, 06:26 PM

30,408 posts, read 9,086,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
While I'm not pleased by their activities (and think more trespass and disorder conduct arrests need to be made), it is worth noting that they are going later at night when the crowds are starting to thin. Plus, there's always online shopping

Apart from the clear illegality and recklessness of these protester actions, however, my main problem is that they are potentially putting lives at risk (which, given the nature of their protests, is ironic). How are emergency response vehicles supposed to get through all of that. This is more important when the difference between life and death depends on seconds.

Un-believable.

So people are supposed to shop online because trespassers (not protesters) are disrupting private businesses? Maybe anti-abortion protesters, who do so peacefully, can up their game and get more attention. But I digress.

Not only have cops apparently bee given orders to stand around and scratch their asinines, but people like the above poster think we should accommodate it.

We're turning into a nation of pansies.

Old 12-06-2014, 06:27 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,402,860 times
the entire concept of peace and goodwill to men does not seem to be in their agenda.

https://tribkcpq.files.wordpress.com...on-looting.jpg

Old 12-06-2014, 06:29 PM

9,916 posts, read 7,681,611 times
Protesters or no protesters, I wouldn't mess with Macy's in Manhattan during the holiday shopping season anyway. Place is a stampede waiting to happen. At least now plenty of those with nothing better to do but lay on the floor would be the ones stomped on.

Old 12-06-2014, 09:29 PM

274 posts, read 221,156 times
This is getting out of hand. I really think this will build more animosity instead of helping the protesters. I have stated, and still believe, this is just genereal unhappiness rearing its ugly head. it's not just about police brutality. A significant portion of th black community seem themselves as perpetual victims. They inform their children of this, to help them seal with the reality of life in America, and the cycle continues.

I am trying to be objective but I just can't see why anyone would defend MB in this mess. I do have some sympathy for Garner, as he was yelling that he couldn't breathe. HOWEVER, once you resist arres the police are not going to play nice. I have seen a few times where they tackle someone and put their knee into a persons back or head to keep them restrained despite the perp yelling that they are in pain.

One of the main issues is the fact that the white community (not that anyone says that) feels like they are being demonized when in reality, most people don't bother anyone and mind their own damn business each and everyday. nobody liks a a guilt trip, especially when it is unwarranted.

Old 12-06-2014, 09:49 PM

5,324 posts, read 4,006,198 times
I hope that the protestors keep it up, I'm sure that they are winning the sympathy of all NYers as they try to go about their business.

Old 12-06-2014, 09:55 PM

9,955 posts, read 8,441,593 times
The Ferguson riots happened because the police on the scene were disorganized and the political leadership lacked the balls to stand up to the rioters. Back when Giuliani (or even Bloomberg) were running NYC, neither of these would have been a problem. Now that Bla is running city, I think it is. Looking at how the police are now handling these protests, it appear like, at least at the political level, the inmates are running the asylum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
And then there would have been Ferguson. Its the very fact that MULTI ETHNIC protestors feel free to do so is why there has been peace.

Better a merchant in NYC who loses a few shopping days, than one in Ferguson who has lost his entire store.

Old 12-06-2014, 10:00 PM

3,245 posts, read 4,161,708 times
Merry Christmas for the NYPD!
Cops get ‘millions’ in overtime for protests | New York Post
Officers should be handing out candy canes to the protestors. Sugar-free, of course!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City