U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2014, 10:07 PM

3,519 posts, read 2,535,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post

Un-believable.

So people are supposed to shop online because trespassers (not protesters) are disrupting private businesses? Maybe anti-abortion protesters, who do so peacefully, can up their game and get more attention. But I digress.

Not only have cops apparently bee given orders to stand around and scratch their asinines, but people like the above poster think we should accommodate it.

We're turning into a nation of pansies.
well, better than turning into iran, red china, or russia. at least, we can still do these things. At least this time the protestors aren't torching the place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2014, 10:10 PM

5,342 posts, read 4,016,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
Merry Christmas for the NYPD!
Cops get ‘millions’ in overtime for protests | New York Post
Officers should be handing out candy canes to the protestors. Sugar-free, of course!
Good for them! I love it!

Old 12-06-2014, 10:52 PM

557 posts, read 548,874 times
If I was shopping there I would walk right on them if they were in my way

Old 12-06-2014, 11:22 PM

2,178 posts, read 1,725,073 times
Oh noo, the rich corporations will miss out on millions, the CEO's won't be able to get that pink yacht for their daughter next summer

Old 12-07-2014, 06:30 AM

4,841 posts, read 7,870,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
Merry Christmas for the NYPD!
Cops get ‘millions’ in overtime for protests | New York Post
Officers should be handing out candy canes to the protestors. Sugar-free, of course!
What a bunch of morons. Screwing over everyone except the NYPD and actually rewarding them LMAO. The children of those NYPD officers are gonna get a ton of presents this year for Christmas.

Old 12-07-2014, 09:44 AM

4,827 posts, read 6,940,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
I think that's the point. hit the money

Yep. Hurt the businesses (including small business of which there are many in Manhattan). Meanwhile, the cops they are protesting against are making a TON of overtime pay. Yeah.... hit the money.

Old 12-07-2014, 10:40 AM

23,265 posts, read 16,096,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
Yep. Hurt the businesses (including small business of which there are many in Manhattan). Meanwhile, the cops they are protesting against are making a TON of overtime pay. Yeah.... hit the money.
Meanwhile, the mayor started body cameras on cops Friday, while the governor has said that there will need to be special prosecutors to prosecute cops because DAs are close allies of cops who don't like to prosecute police officers. These are major political concessions. George Bush, O'Reilly and other Fox staffers, and other conservatives have condemned the Staten Island grand jury since the protests have come out.

So they've had major political impact in just a few days. It sure does beat incessant griping on City Data where at best 100 people will read what you've written.

Old 12-07-2014, 10:44 AM

35,121 posts, read 37,872,955 times
eh, the people around here would walk over them and shop anyway and if they would happen to get kicked more than once, darn the luck.

Old 12-07-2014, 10:48 AM

8,384 posts, read 5,039,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by q41apartments View Post
I'm watching the news and it's getting ridiculous. I wouldn't want to shop at Macys if the protestors were ruining it for everyone and making it unpleasant. It's really going to interfere with the holiday generating revenue that all retailers look forward to every holiday season.

I also noticed a lot of the protestors are young teens probably in college and they don't realize the damage they're inflicting on businesses. Why shoild businesses close down because of their protest? It's just tragic.
Uhhh. Isn't that the point of protesting? To make someone feel the effect. If they don't want protesters outside their door, it is time for Macy's to figure out what the protesters want and either negotiate or convince them to go home.

Old 12-07-2014, 11:08 AM

203 posts, read 151,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xTiberiusx View Post
This is getting out of hand. I really think this will build more animosity instead of helping the protesters. I have stated, and still believe, this is just genereal unhappiness rearing its ugly head. it's not just about police brutality. A significant portion of th black community seem themselves as perpetual victims. They inform their children of this, to help them seal with the reality of life in America, and the cycle continues.
The protestors comprise of various ethnic backgrounds... Also, are you aware that there are close to 45 million blacks in the U.S. I seriously doubt that most blacks see themselves as perpetual victims, when most blacks are actually middle class. NYC however, is home to a sizable number of low income blacks who see the clear disadvantages of being poor and black in an urban area.

Quote:
I am trying to be objective but I just can't see why anyone would defend MB in this mess. I do have some sympathy for Garner, as he was yelling that he couldn't breathe. HOWEVER, once you resist arrest the police are not going to play nice. I have seen a few times where they tackle someone and put their knee into a persons back or head to keep them restrained despite the perp yelling that they are in pain.
Every circumstance is different. Perhaps you are unfamiliar with John Mckenna. Mckenna is white and was attending the University of MD (College Park)(which is situated a few miles outside of D.C.) at the time he was beaten and arrested in the street for simply celebrating his school's basketball victory. Initially the police stated that he charged the officers, but the video showed otherwise. The police were found guilty, but one of the convictions was later overturned.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...041204377.html

Below is the footage, which captures the assault:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAPwyodTkYA

Sometimes arrests are unlawful, therefore, many informed citizens are unwilling to just comply.

Note however that all charges were dropped against Mckenna, and he received a 2 million dollar settlement from Prince Georges County, MD. Mckenna is now a law student in Washington, D.C.

Last edited by Claire_Springs; 12-07-2014 at 11:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City