Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 06:07 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,884,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
ALackofCReativity, The South viewed protests about segregation as you are viewing police brutality protests. I'm thankful folks had the patience to see it through.

In general, protests at the time of creation are not focused, but give it time. Jim Crow protests did not bear fruit for many years.
I'd be pleasantly surprised if it plays out this way. Events like the Garner incident aren't acceptable, I just don't see how you get from people staging a "die in" in Macy's without any coherent ask to specific policy change(s) which address(es) the issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2014, 06:24 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
Tax revenue being hurt should not be in anyone's top 100 of concerns.These incidents are getting too common; I'm starting to wonder do pds simply attract the dreg of society to seek the job?

Old 12-07-2014, 06:44 PM

913 posts, read 2,273,022 times
This protest effects everyone. You should know when somebody does something, it effects everyone else. If retail is not generating all the revenue they anticipate for the holidays then there's no reason to hire seasonal help or give cashiers additional hours. Now all those people who count on holiday money won't get it because unemployed teens and college students want to make a point. Why should people who count on holiday money to make extra income suffer? We all know black loves matter. This is nothing new.

I was always raised to give cops my ID if they ask for it. If people are being beligerent and not providing that when asked by police then they should know the consequences are right and those consequences are not racial profiling. People have no reason to be difficult with the police unless they're up to no good. This is common sense. People play the race card and then get made at the consequences when they brought it upon themselves like that actress in Django Unchained movie with Leo diCaprio. Played the race card when all the cop wanted was her drivers license. Shame on her!

Last edited by q41apartments; 12-07-2014 at 06:55 PM..

Old 12-07-2014, 06:56 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
It effects everything, but weighing one against the other, short-term economic pain is a tiny price to pay.

Old 12-07-2014, 06:57 PM

We know black lives matter, but if one is being difficult with the police then know the consequences are justified. People need to stop being difficult.

Old 12-07-2014, 07:11 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by q41apartments View Post
We know black lives matter, but if one is being difficult with the police then know the consequences are justified. People need to stop being difficult.
The person in the hallway of the housing projects wasn't being difficult, the cop just shot when he apparently heard something in the dark stairwell.

And notice whites are apparently not being killed by cops under these circumstances, which also include no indictment of the killer cop. So apparently Black lives do not matter according to the current system.

Old 12-07-2014, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
In the 60s and 70s a lot of protests had "asks:" ending segregation, leaving Vietnam, and so forth. These were productive. There were also expressions of anger like the riots which didn't have asks, and those got nothing done except when things turned violent harm peoples' lives and do long term harm to local communities and economies.

Occupy had no "ask" and achieved absolutely nothing concrete. I'm sure it was a fun time for a lot of people but it achieved nothing of lasting benefit for all the inconvenience it caused. DeBlasio would have won without it given the context he was running in (post Bloomberg and with even the upper-middle class feeling squeezed by gentrification) and the opponents in the primary.

You feel the need to grasp at straws because, except for maybe a couple specific cops' heads on a platter, the current protests also have no "ask." Without a coherent demand they are just another outpouring of anger which won't effect any long term change on society or achieve any goals, except insofar as communities where things have gotten violent (and we can all be thankful people have broadly stayed civilized in NYC) will be permanently scarred by business closures and out-migration.
Occupy protests were about economic justice, and despite their disorganization and despite your desire to trash them, they ended 20 years of pro police mayoral Republican control of NYC. If they did nothing else, that's pretty significant. In order to appease his activist base, de Blasio immediately halted the city's appeal of a ruling that ordered the city to institute major reforms to stop and frisk (showing how different he was from Giuliani). Immediate changes were made to the FDNY as well (de Blasio dropped any Bloomberg era resistance).

And yes, the people in the Jim Crow South said all the things you're saying about the current protesters today.

Old 12-07-2014, 07:26 PM

@NyWriterDude - if a cop is in an unsafe neighborhood the chances of him firing off are heighten by say 190%. You and i both know why and that's why they're called "unsafe neighborhoods". If this happened on 65th and Central park West, the cop wouldn't have fired his gun because that's a safe area. Nobody fires guns in a safe area because theres no need for it and theres no violence. Negative connotations are illicited by unsafe areas. It is common sense.

Since youre a writer, I'm sure you can have a cup of coffee in both neighborhoods and come up with some very great vivid sensory details about the area and any reader can tell from reading your work what is safe and what is NOT! Stop trying to justify nonsense.

Old 12-07-2014, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by q41apartments View Post
@NyWriterDude - if a cop is in an unsafe neighborhood the chances of him firing off are heighten by say 190%. You and i both know why and that's why they're called "unsafe neighborhoods". If this happened on 65th and Central park West, the cop wouldn't have fired his gun because that's a safe area. Nobody fires guns in a safe area because theres no need for it and theres no violence. Negative connotations are illicited by unsafe areas. It is common sense. Stop trying to justify nonsense.
Neighborhoods made even more unsafe by police who fire off in dark stairwell just because they heard something. That cop added to the neighborhood's homicide rate, making it even more unsafe. Cops like him are a part of the problem.

Old 12-07-2014, 07:43 PM

I'm not a cop and I'd fire also because it's a human basic instinct where everything gets heightened when one is put in an unsafe neighborhood. If I was out in the woods, I'd fire too because it could be a giant bear in the dark ready to attack and kill me. You know that famous saying: Kill or be killed.

Common sense!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City