U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 11:47 PM

570 posts, read 484,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
I think that's the point. hit the money
Really???

What did Macy's, Apple and others do to warrant this treatment. They don't have a dog in this fight. These idiot protesters need to go back from where they came.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2014, 12:44 AM

23,288 posts, read 16,150,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
You may be right. Since a lot of people think of crime as largely being conquered, they're now focusing on the perceived excesses of the police (real or imagined.) Politicians like Bla and his ilk will end the policies that made NYC a desirable place to live. The criminal class and it's apologists will be happy.

But the problems that existed before will come back. Crime will rise, investment will go down, quality of life will drop, and the people will be angry about this. More of them will be will be angry about this than there are who are angry about the police issues. They'll remember how good things were under Giuliani and Bloomberg, and a new generation of politicians will pick up there mantle. The pendulum will swing back.
Not necessarily. Crime by the 80s became huge because of things that are no longer factors. Deindustrialization (this has already been completed) complete with various economic shifts and urban disinvestment ruined huge parts of major cities. Big parts of Manhattan below 96th street were ghetto. This is not the case any more. The money flowing into Manhattan is money from people who don't freak out because there are people of a different race in their neighborhood, unlike 70s era white flight.

Also, what you failed to acknowledge is that all people are the criminal class. If it gets to the point where cops are busting people for selling loose cigarettes, people of all socioeconomic backgrounds and educations are criminal.

Look at President Bush's daughters, arrested for drunk driving. They are criminals. Giuliani's own daughter was arrested for shop lifting. She is a criminal. Bloomberg worked for a criminal employer (Salmon Brothers sold junk bonds).

For the relatively minor offenses that people like Bratton want to impound people on, everyone has someone who did this in their family, as their neighbors, classmates, coworkers, etc.

That's why there's a huge backlash against the Giuliani/Bloomberg era and this is going to be permanent.

Old 12-08-2014, 05:07 AM

18,677 posts, read 16,473,509 times
q41apartments"I was raised that if a cop asks for your ID then hand it over."

I was, too, but I hardly believe failure to immediate do so should allow the cop to KILL you, assuming you do not have a firearm aimed at him.

Old 12-08-2014, 10:21 AM

2,054 posts, read 990,960 times
Perhaps Macy's was targeted because it was accused of racial profiling.

Maybe the protesters will have an effect on holiday spending, maybe they won't. They have accomplished something -which was to get people talking and thinking about the relationship between the police and the various ethnic communities they serve.

Old 12-08-2014, 10:29 AM

10,010 posts, read 8,492,915 times
Macy's is being targeted because a protest there will make the news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Tarabotti View Post
Perhaps Macy's was targeted because it was accused of racial profiling.

Maybe the protesters will have an effect on holiday spending, maybe they won't. They have accomplished something -which was to get people talking and thinking about the relationship between the police and the various ethnic communities they serve.

Old 12-08-2014, 10:45 AM

10,010 posts, read 8,492,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Not necessarily. Crime by the 80s became huge because of things that are no longer factors. Deindustrialization (this has already been completed) complete with various economic shifts and urban disinvestment ruined huge parts of major cities. Big parts of Manhattan below 96th street were ghetto. This is not the case any more. The money flowing into Manhattan is money from people who don't freak out because there are people of a different race in their neighborhood, unlike 70s era white flight.
Do delude yourself. Crime didn't dissipate on it's own. It was crushed. The drug addled flower power attitude of the 60s and 70s allowed the level crime we saw peaking in the early to mid 80's develop. And the hard nosed, were not going to put up with this $hit anymore attitude of the 90s squeezed it back out. The attitude pendulum looks like it's swinging back to anything goes. The crime level pendulum will follow.
Quote:

Also, what you failed to acknowledge is that all people are the criminal class. If it gets to the point where cops are busting people for selling loose cigarettes, people of all socioeconomic backgrounds and educations are criminal.

Look at President Bush's daughters, arrested for drunk driving. They are criminals. Giuliani's own daughter was arrested for shop lifting. She is a criminal. Bloomberg worked for a criminal employer (Salmon Brothers sold junk bonds).
Criminal class = people of live off of crime, especially low level street hustles. I don't include people who general live honest lives, but every once in a while do something wrong (although they should be punished for what they do wrong.)

And show me the law where selling junk bonds is illegal.
Quote:

For the relatively minor offenses that people like Bratton want to impound people on, everyone has someone who did this in their family, as their neighbors, classmates, coworkers, etc.

That's why there's a huge backlash against the Giuliani/Bloomberg era and this is going to be permanent.
The point is that if criminals see they can get easily away with low level street crimes, they move on to bigger things. I remember back in the 80s, when you saw all sorts of low to mid level street crime, even in good areas. I live on the UES, and have for over 20 years, and lived in Midtown East before that, I remember prostitution and open drug dealing in these areas. It did give the city an out of control, lawless feel. But I haven't seen any of that for years, even in areas that were notorious for it. I think it's a big reason for the perceived increase of quality of life in the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City