U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2014, 01:06 PM

913 posts, read 1,689,439 times

Advertisements

I'm watching the news and it's getting ridiculous. I wouldn't want to shop at Macys if the protestors were ruining it for everyone and making it unpleasant. It's really going to interfere with the holiday generating revenue that all retailers look forward to every holiday season.

I also noticed a lot of the protestors are young teens probably in college and they don't realize the damage they're inflicting on businesses. Why shoild businesses close down because of their protest? It's just tragic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2014, 01:07 PM

4,841 posts, read 7,860,810 times
Are they actually going inside Macys and rioting in there?

Old 12-06-2014, 01:13 PM

9,693 posts, read 5,275,637 times
While I'm not pleased by their activities (and think more trespass and disorder conduct arrests need to be made), it is worth noting that they are going later at night when the crowds are starting to thin. Plus, there's always online shopping

Apart from the clear illegality and recklessness of these protester actions, however, my main problem is that they are potentially putting lives at risk (which, given the nature of their protests, is ironic). How are emergency response vehicles supposed to get through all of that. This is more important when the difference between life and death depends on seconds.

Old 12-06-2014, 01:23 PM

913 posts, read 1,689,439 times
They're not rioting, but who wants to shop when you can look at merchandise because there's 100 plus bodies laying on the floor and keeping you from going from the bedding department to the shoe department? It's unpleasant.

Old 12-06-2014, 03:26 PM

9,955 posts, read 8,445,983 times
I doubt they'll make even a slight dent. Hell, people we come in just to see the show, and buy something while they're here.

I will say, I'm sorry Giuliani isn't the mayor handling this. He would have had these protests, bottled up and shut down by now. Bla is just letting them happen. He's probably disappointed he can't be out there blocking traffic with them.

Old 12-06-2014, 04:13 PM

23,252 posts, read 16,063,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
I doubt they'll make even a slight dent. Hell, people we come in just to see the show, and buy something while they're here.

I will say, I'm sorry Giuliani isn't the mayor handling this. He would have had these protests, bottled up and shut down by now. Bla is just letting them happen. He's probably disappointed he can't be out there blocking traffic with them.
Giuliani supported term limits years ago and term limited himself from ever being mayor again. How just. He is done politically as he isn't wanted for state wide or national office. The Giuliani era is OVER!

Old 12-06-2014, 05:32 PM

4,827 posts, read 6,929,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
Are they actually going inside Macys and rioting in there?
The idiots went into Macys Herald Square and did what they are calling a "die in" by laying on the floor in Macys. MORONS. They should have been arrested. Macys has nothing to do with what happened with Eric Garner and nothing to do with whatever they disagree with re: the NYPD.

Old 12-06-2014, 06:08 PM

3,491 posts, read 2,525,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by q41apartments View Post
I'm watching the news and it's getting ridiculous. I wouldn't want to shop at Macys if the protestors were ruining it for everyone and making it unpleasant. It's really going to interfere with the holiday generating revenue that all retailers look forward to every holiday season.

I also noticed a lot of the protestors are young teens probably in college and they don't realize the damage they're inflicting on businesses. Why shoild businesses close down because of their protest? It's just tragic.
I think that's the point. hit the money

Old 12-06-2014, 06:22 PM

3,245 posts, read 4,161,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
people ... come in just to see the show
OWS was on the tourist bus tours!
I visited Montreal during the student riots in 2012. There was a pitched battle in front of my hotel!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_Qu...udent_protests
Local police made a ton of overtime. Also won the street fights.

Old 12-06-2014, 06:23 PM

9,955 posts, read 8,445,983 times
From a law enforcement standpoint, Bloomberg continued Giuliani'so policies. So those policies were in force for twenty years.

But I agreen with you. That era is now over. Bla is more interested in not offending his core constituent groups, and promoting his leftist political agenda, than suppressing crime and providing a safe environment in the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Giuliani supported term limits years ago and term limited himself from ever being mayor again. How just. He is done politically as he isn't wanted for state wide or national office. The Giuliani era is OVER!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City