U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 09:46 PM

913 posts, read 1,690,936 times

Advertisements

Henna, ****! All your examples are ridiculous because all potential tenants would have inspected all those amenities in advance.

I feel bad for the person who is paying over $3,700.00 in rent for the 1 bedroom on the top floor because they told her that her amenity includes a gym and thats not even open yet. Theres no open date as of today. Who wants to pay close to 4K a month in rent and not have access to a gym that was advertised by the real estate agent? I know you wouldn't.

@Withdisp - I understand your frustration. This is the 1st middle income lottery in NYC, so I'm very thankful. I was never destitute enough to qualify for low income housing because I always made above 25K since graduating college. I never had 3 kids at 16 or a baby daddy beat me when he was drunk. I feel NYC and America always punishes the working class citizen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2014, 10:29 PM

570 posts, read 482,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Everybody wants something for nothing.
Are you serious?

When they viewed the apt it had a nice balconcy/terrace, that had been constructed before they moved in. No rhyme and the reason was for window washers to stage. These areas were no doubt part of the permitted building plans. This is just a BS maneuver on someone's part and I really can't figure out why.

Old 12-07-2014, 10:33 PM

203 posts, read 151,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TotalKaos View Post
Are you serious?

When they viewed the apt it had a nice balconcy/terrace, that had been constructed before they moved in. No rhyme and the reason was for window washers to stage. These areas were no doubt part of the permitted building plans. This is just a BS maneuver on someone's part and I really can't figure out why.
Why?

Well, for starters, the tenants are not paying market rent. Did they really believe that their outdoor space would be larger than the people who are paying market rent?

I learned early on that if something is too good to be true, it usually is.

Old 12-07-2014, 10:34 PM

10,612 posts, read 20,745,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by q41apartments View Post
Henna, ****! All your examples are ridiculous because all potential tenants would have inspected all those amenities in advance.
I was responding to your statement about the balcony being listed in newspaper advertisements. In fact, I quoted your post when I responded.

My examples were perfect as a response to what you stated. If you'd like to change your mind and try again, go for it, but I am not going to respond or give a ****

Old 12-07-2014, 10:36 PM

There's only 4 apartments paying market rent and those units are struggling to be rented out because nobody wants to pay that price or live in a building where 98% of the tenants pay 2 to 3 times less for the exact same thing.

Some units have small size balconies and those are not fenced off. The ones in the article have a large balcony that wraps around the entire floor so everyone on that floor has a balcony, but it's sectioned off with a barrier so that everyone on the same floor has their own appropriate balcony space. The fence is something in addition to the barrier that separates each apartment with their own balcony space. The fence is truly unnecessary.

@Henna - no, your examples are farfetched. Hopefully you'll win a housing lottery soon, get shown a unit with a terrace and then when you move in, the balcony will have a fence there so you can only move 24 inches from the balcony door to the 24 inches of space you have called your balcony.

Old 12-07-2014, 10:45 PM

203 posts, read 151,299 times
Quote:
Some units have small size balconies and those are not fenced off. The ones in the article have a large balcony that wraps around the entire floor so everyone on that floor has a balcony, but it's sectioned off with a barrier so that everyone on the same floor has their own appropriate balcony space. The fence is something in addition to the barrier that separates each apartment with their own balcony space..

The couple shouldn't worry. Once their lease expires, I'm certain they will be able to find a lovely apt in the city, (with an extra large balcony) at market rate.

Old 12-08-2014, 04:59 AM

3,447 posts, read 3,518,386 times
Quote:
@Withdisp - I understand your frustration. This is the 1st middle income lottery in NYC, so I'm very thankful. I was never destitute enough to qualify for low income housing because I always made above 25K since graduating college. I never had 3 kids at 16 or a baby daddy beat me when he was drunk. I feel NYC and America always punishes the working class citizen.
It's not ultimately my frustration.

I've left all that nonsense behind.

Old 12-08-2014, 06:50 AM

20,147 posts, read 26,435,766 times
Is the wire fence electrified?

Old 12-08-2014, 07:47 AM

No, the fence shoots out rainbows when you touch it.

Don't be silly! It's a regular wired fence. Now...if it was a black couple and there was a fence - can we say 'race card' or the S word might pop up for no reason!?

Old 12-08-2014, 08:18 AM

263 posts, read 395,576 times
could be worse, the fence could have been more intrusive and blocked their view. I wish I had an apartment in a desirable neighborhood with decent outdoor space for 2k per month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City