U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 09:07 AM

20,169 posts, read 26,469,688 times

Advertisements

I see only a few wires that an elephant could get through.
Am I missing something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2014, 09:41 AM

2,228 posts, read 2,951,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Why are people gettting subsidized housing complaining about these things? I don't get it.

If they don't like it, move and pay for market rate housing like the rest of us. The taxpayers will be happy not to pay for your subsidized luxury Manhattan residence, where you have the chutzpah to then complain the standards aren't exactly the same as market rate units.

Next up- complaints that the countertops aren't the proper granite.
LMAO, New America.

Old 12-08-2014, 10:26 AM

913 posts, read 1,693,416 times
@Nola101 - let me enlighten you. This has nothing to do with taxpayer dollars. This was a luxury condo construction that ran out of money to finish building their facility. They applied to the HARP program offered by the city. The city in turn went to a bank to get a loan to give to the developer so that the building can be finished. In exchange, the city asked that the building NOT charge $2,800.00 a month for a 1 bedroom like the surrounding buildings. They asked the building to make it affordable for middle income since DeBlasio said middle income is getting pushed out of NYC. So the $2,800.00 is now $1,800.00 for a 1 bedroom. It's a slight discount but still not cheap like section 8. I'd personally loved to stay under 1K for rent. Anyways, the agreement is to make the building a middle income lottery where the city selects the tenants through a vetting process and in exchange to slightly lower rents, the developer also gets a real estate tax break.

Apartment buildings are a business to make money. This setup was to do that, but also make a win win for the struggling working/middle income citizens of NY. Since the building charges lower rent, their tax break discount equals to what they would have charged had they charged market value in LIC. See it as an even exchange. Exchanging red colored gloves for blue colored gloves without paying any additional money.

None of what Nola said has to do with taxpayer dollars, but i think section 8 does.

Old 12-08-2014, 10:38 AM

571 posts, read 643,366 times
They should come check out my balcony. Oh wait, I don't have one! And my rent isn't being subsidized by taxpayer dollars...

Old 12-08-2014, 10:43 AM

You're section 8?

What bad life choices have you made? Please elaborate.

I don't have a balcony either.

Old 12-08-2014, 11:17 AM

571 posts, read 643,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by q41apartments View Post
You're section 8?

What bad life choices have you made? Please elaborate.

I don't have a balcony either.
I have a market rate apartment. Why should I feel bad for someone who doesn't get to utilize a massive balcony on my dime?

Old 12-08-2014, 12:30 PM

Bit it's not on your dime, but section 8 and food stamp collectors might be.

Old 12-08-2014, 12:50 PM

3,031 posts, read 2,869,860 times
Default I'm confused...

I looked at the arial shot showing the large balcony. Is the area outside of the fence off limits to everyone on that floor? Was is intended to be a shared space? Or is the large balcony only attached to their unit, but management are limiting their use (with what I think is a rather industrial unattractive chicken wire looking thing) because other residents will see it as "unfair" that they have a larger balcony? Or is it really for the window washers?
Instead of cutting them off, if it's only about making other residents feel better, would it be possible to move them to a unit with a smaller balcony and rent out the one with the larger balcony to those paying the higher rent?

Just a few questions from someone who has no idea what living in Manhattan is like.

Old 12-08-2014, 01:07 PM

10,630 posts, read 20,764,898 times
Quote:
This has nothing to do with taxpayer dollars.

the developer also gets a real estate tax break.
The developer gets a tax break, which means he pays less in taxes to the city. This create a loss of tax revenue for the city. Guess who makes up the difference? I'll give you a hint. It's us, the taxpayers. We, the taxpayers, are subsidizing these affordable units, regardless of how hard you are trying to tell us that we are not.

I have no problem with the affordable program. But don't pretend the money to subsidize these units is not eventually coming out of the taxpayers' pockets.

To help you understand (since you seem rather clueless about this) I am pasting in part of an article in the NY Times, which talks about developers' tax breaks on the One57 building in Midtown in return for the One57 developers paying into an affordable housing project in the Bronx.

"How much will the deal actually cost taxpayers? According to the Metropolitan Councilís report, which was co-authored by Jaron Benjamin, its executive director, the two One57 penthouses will cost the city $2.4 million in lost tax revenue over the next decade."

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/26/re...e-housing.html

Old 12-08-2014, 02:40 PM

3,450 posts, read 3,523,119 times
Quote:
@Nola101 - let me enlighten you. This has nothing to do with taxpayer dollars. This was a luxury condo construction that ran out of money to finish building their facility. They applied to the HARP program offered by the city. The city in turn went to a bank to get a loan to give to the developer so that the building can be finished. In exchange, the city asked that the building NOT charge $2,800.00 a month for a 1 bedroom like the surrounding buildings. They asked the building to make it affordable for middle income since DeBlasio said middle income is getting pushed out of NYC. So the $2,800.00 is now $1,800.00 for a 1 bedroom. It's a slight discount but still not cheap like section 8. I'd personally loved to stay under 1K for rent. Anyways, the agreement is to make the building a middle income lottery where the city selects the tenants through a vetting process and in exchange to slightly lower rents, the developer also gets a real estate tax break.

Apartment buildings are a business to make money. This setup was to do that, but also make a win win for the struggling working/middle income citizens of NY. Since the building charges lower rent, their tax break discount equals to what they would have charged had they charged market value in LIC. See it as an even exchange. Exchanging red colored gloves for blue colored gloves without paying any additional money.

None of what Nola said has to do with taxpayer dollars, but i think section 8 does.
Slight discount? That's 40% below market rate. That's a huge discount.
Real Estate tax breaks means the money is made up by tax payers.

City picks people to get lucky and pay less, makes everyone else pay more.
Great system. They even have you fooled into thinking it's some kind of corporate charity.

What you have is no different than Section 8. Someone else is paying your bills because you can't afford them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City