U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 03:23 PM

2,253 posts, read 4,318,008 times

Advertisements

Now this:

Luxury building fences off low-rent tenants

If you look at the aerial shot in the story, the tenants are being prevented from using almost all of their balcony.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2014, 03:55 PM

10,630 posts, read 20,770,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleasach View Post
Now this:

Luxury building fences off low-rent tenants

If you look at the aerial shot in the story, the tenants are being prevented from using almost all of their balcony.
I don't really understand the comparison with the "poor door" thing. This building has 117 units, and 109 of those units are affordable. Only 8 units in the entire building are market rent. Are you saying (or is the article saying) that all 8 units have use of a massive balcony, and the other 109 units have this fencing thing?

The article was very unclear. I feel it's most likely a case of the NY Post trying to sensationalize something that isn't remotely "news" in order to get more clicks on their site.

Anyway, I don't really feel sorry (ever) for anyone living in a unit that they are paying way less than market rent for. Also, it's so silly to say that this "fence," which really is only a few wires, is an "ugly 6-foot-high wire barrier [that] also interferes with views from every window of her sixth-floor" apartment. I guess if they had windowpanes in their windows, as opposed to large sheets of glass, they would complain that the wood frames separating the window panes also interfere with the view.

Old 12-07-2014, 04:00 PM
Status: "I have "a thing" for duplex apartments" (set 20 hours ago)

19,275 posts, read 32,757,591 times
Everybody wants something for nothing.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-07-2014, 04:09 PM

9,693 posts, read 5,291,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I feel it's most likely a case of the NY Post trying to sensationalize something that isn't remotely "news" in order to get more clicks on their site.
Agreed. Seems to be an article about nothing. When you pay less money, don't expect to have the same amenities/luxuries; if you do get them, then great . . . if not, tough luck. Sure, the building management could have placed the window cleaner staging areas (and, let's be clear, that's what the fences are there for, regardless of the rhetoric of some of the tenants) on the wraparound balconies of the market-rate apartments. But, again, you get what you pay for.

Old 12-07-2014, 05:07 PM

3,450 posts, read 3,524,576 times
Would be hilarious if that slander against the building was retaliated by a defamation lawsuit.

Don't like your balcony at 2100$ a month. Move to another building and pay triple that.

Old 12-07-2014, 05:25 PM

9,701 posts, read 6,686,232 times
Why are people gettting subsidized housing complaining about these things? I don't get it.

If they don't like it, move and pay for market rate housing like the rest of us. The taxpayers will be happy not to pay for your subsidized luxury Manhattan residence, where you have the chutzpah to then complain the standards aren't exactly the same as market rate units.

Next up- complaints that the countertops aren't the proper granite.

Old 12-07-2014, 05:26 PM

913 posts, read 1,693,416 times
I'm in the building and find the word "poor" to be incorrect. This is a middle once lottery and everyone had to make over 45K and 45K in NYC is considered middle income.

It's unfortunate because they should have access to their entire lounge. Other tenants have small balconies and those are not fenced off.

The building only had 4 units that are charging market rate, so the article is incorrect. The rest 108 are lower then market rate, but not by much as you can tell from the article. If you are paying $2,186.00 for rent then that is not considered low income. Low income would not be able to afford that price every month.

Last edited by q41apartments; 12-07-2014 at 05:45 PM..

Old 12-07-2014, 05:47 PM

203 posts, read 151,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Everybody wants something for nothing.
I agree. If anything, they should be happy that they won the housing lottery and stop complaining.

Old 12-07-2014, 05:49 PM

203 posts, read 151,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by q41apartments View Post
I'm in the building and find the word "poor" to be incorrect. This is a middle once lottery and everyone had to make over 45K and 45K in NYC is considered middle income.

It's unfortunate because they should have access to their entire lounge. Other tenants have small balconies and those are not fenced off.

The building only had 4 units that are charging market rate, so the article is incorrect. The rest 108 are lower then market rate, but not by much as you can tell from the article. If you are paying $2,186.00 for rent then that is not considered low income. Low income would not be able to afford that price every month.
Yes, but they are not paying market rate, so why do they feel entitled to the entire balcony?

Old 12-07-2014, 05:53 PM

10,630 posts, read 20,770,793 times
Yes, let them complain about something real, like no mailboxes, missing front door lock, no buzzers, no heat, bathroom ceiling caving in, etc. and then maybe I will pay a little attention. That's what some other subsidized (read: rent stabilized or rent control) tenants have complaints about, and those are real QOL issues.

If it's not an issue that 311 will deal with, then S T F U.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City